amuck-landowner

IPMI Help

clarity

So I got a server from Datashack with IPMI, and I am unable to connect to the Java viewer. I can get into the web interface, but it is telling me that I need to install the JRE. I have already done that. Do you guys have any tips?

qps

Verified Provider
Some KVM/IPMIs are picky about the OS and version of Java.

Are you using Windows XP/Windows 7?

Are you using 32-bit Java?

If no to either of those questions, that could be why.

wdq

Quade
IPMI on my dedicated server only works on Windows 7 with Java 6. So trying some older OS/Java version combinations may do the trick. 

clarity

Alright. That might be what is happening. I am using Chrome with Java 7. I'll give it a go with 6. It is already installed. I just have to figure out how to use just that one.

qps

Verified Provider
Sometimes simply uninstalling and reinstalling Java can help.  Java can be a little quirky at times.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Alright. That might be what is happening. I am using Chrome with Java 7. I'll give it a go with 6. It is already installed. I just have to figure out how to use just that one.
Had the same problem with a HP ILo and had to use Internet Explorer to make it work. :(

johnlth93

I guess you could just change the PATH to make sure it using the version you wanted. Not sure if the browser plugin matters.

mitgib

Verified Provider
IPMI does not work in Chrome, use Firefox or Internet Exploder

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
IPMI does not work in Chrome, use Firefox or Internet Exploder
Or I guess that IPMIView thingamajig. I use that mainly for the organization, since I can have like a sort of IPMI session manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
I use IE 10 with the DRAC in my PowerEdge because 1. it officially supports IE and doesn't yell at me and 2. I can use the ActiveX extension for the iKVM rather than a Java viewer, and I find the ActiveX one to work better and faster.

clarity

In IE, I couldn't even get it to accept the certificate because it is sending a 512-bit instead of the required 1024-bit.

This fixed that.

certutil -setreg chain\minRSAPubKeyBitLength 512
I am still trying to get it to connect though. So far, I am not a happy camper. I can get the window loaded in Firefox, but it gives an error about no connection to host. 

What port does IPMI use? My work is really restrictive on the ports that can be used.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
What port does IPMI use? My work is really restrictive on the ports that can be used.
They're all changable, 443, 80, 623, 5900 are the main ones, however there are likely many more that are needed, but they suffice for my needs and that's what I've got in my router configuration. :)

egihosting

Verified Provider
Definitely would recommend IPMIview. Much faster and works on my laptop when the browser normally doesn't.

amuck-landowner