amuck-landowner

IPv6 is now available on ShoveHost VPS!

shovenose

Verified Provider
Wow! Great announcement. Really detailed.
Detailed announcement coming soon and all customers are getting emailed tomorrow once I'm sure all bugs are worked out. And, to clarify, this is how it works:

-VPS do not have IPv6 by default

-Max of 50 IPv6 per IPv4 per VPS

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Was this something you needed to do some work to implement, or was it the datacenter that finally made it available? I have two VPSes in the AIS DC, one with you and one with another provider (though the two IPs are in the same /24), and I'm wondering if since you have IPv6, I can count on the other provider (SwiftVM) announcing it soon.

Leyton

Verified Provider
CaliHop has been passing v6 out to it's clients today, so @D. Strout, I imagine SwiftVM should be on their way to adding their new allocation.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Man folks are hostile to Mr. Shovehost.

I think it's great that Shovehost offers native IPV6, but Colocrossing doesn't :)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Thanks for letting us shovenose. Great to see AIS has finally gotten that set up. I've ticketed SwiftVM to see if they've got an allocation.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
-Max of 50 IPv6 per IPv4 per VPS

You offer OpenVZ, right?  Might want to warn your clients that actually having that many IPs on a single instance will seriously delay startup/reboot times for that VM.  And if you have a node full of 50+ IP VMs crash... you could likely finish a short novel before those VMs are all back online (not wishing it on you or anything, just pointing out something you might not have noticed yet).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That's what y'all told me when I asked for a bunch of extra IPv4s on a BuyVM box once, but I've never experienced it. You're the provider, you'd know best, but I've never seen it, though I have several VPSes with 50+ IPv6.
Yar, it's typically not noticeable until you get into the higher numbers... but give an inch and they'll take a mile.. offer 50 and they'll somehow justify how that absolutely have to have 100+ IRC vhosts  :rolleyes:.  I honestly don't remember if we approved your request or not (If I handled it, and it was for say 30 or less v4, it should've been approved... we just like to give an explanation when there's a chance we might say no to something).

shovenose

Verified Provider
I'm just gonna answer questions in order...

It took some pushing to encourage my server provider CaliHop to get it rolling. Finally my friend who is like best friends with Joe (CaliHop owner) got a text saying IPv6 is ready. I was there at at the time, read the text, submitted a ticket asking for my allocation. I had it and set it up today.

I have 2 VPS nodes.

I think 50 is a reasonable limit for IPv6. It should not cause instability.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
FWIW my addresses don't work. I've ticketed about it and am informed it is being worked on, but IPv6 is still not immediately available.

amuck-landowner