amuck-landowner

IRC fuckups - did he really just do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echelon

Verified Provider
Am I the only one that wonders why we keep around the kid that keeps trying to turn this place into HF?  Discussion of security is one thing.. attempting to brag about "amazing deeds" seems like exactly the kind of trash this place doesn't need.
Because censorship is a slippery slope.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Are we saying that person had same account info for IRC and mail?

Where would one gather their IRC credentials from?

I am out of haterade.   Just curious...

GIANT_CRAB

I fucked up on IRC previously too, I sent my password out while attempting to register.

Then I had to change all my passwords, took me around 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure MannDude facepalm'd when he saw me did this.

Raymii

Back in the days when I still played Guild Wars and WoW we used to do that. Tell people that their password showed up to us as ******* and was only visible to them when they typed it...

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Relevant bash.org quote. I run an IRC Network (for a pokemon game online) which has a slightly lower than average IQ for the average user. I've told people how to register with the command "/ns register REPLACEThisWithAPassword REPLACEThisWithYourEmailAddress" and they say it doesn't work. Why? THEY COPY/PASTED THE COMMAND IN. Some people...

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Did you know that If you login to another persons email account it is counted as a felony in most countries?

I wouldn't tell the world about the bad things you do.

GIANT_CRAB

Did you know that If you login to another persons email account it is counted as a felony in most countries?

I wouldn't tell the world about the bad things you do.
So.. How many international laws did NSA, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc... broke?

Its not a felony, its a war crime against humanity and privacy.

inb4 "buttt... we r on war against terrorism xddd"

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Am I the only one who identifies direct to Nickserv?

Last edited by a moderator:

nunim

VPS Junkie
Am I the only one that wonders why we keep around the kid that keeps trying to turn this place into HF?  Discussion of security is one thing.. attempting to brag about "amazing deeds" seems like exactly the kind of trash this place doesn't need.
This.  I think Aldryic expressed my thoughts exactly, this is a thread for the trashcan. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Because censorship is a slippery slope.
While true, fear of censorship shouldn't get in the way of common sense.  Maybe the new name caused a lot of people to forget that it's still curtisg behind that moniker;  a kid that on a regular basis either 1) threatens to 'hack' others, 2) tries to take credit any time some exploit is revealed, and 3) results to DDoS booters when his feelings are hurt.  The name change was to try and get away from his reputation - and while he made a token attempt to change his ways, said attempt lasted for a week at best.

To turn that question on you, though... if we allow one, why not allow more?  More and more malicious threads will start, and eventually they'll get their own subforum.  Since there are many varieties of jackassery, the subforum will turn into an entire category of subforums... and so on.

HackForums (and several other similar communities) originally started with C|EH-centric goals.  Whitehat, actual security discussion, etc.  Kids like this turned it into the shithole it is today.  I'm as much against censorship as anyone else - but I happen to like this place, and wouldn't want to see it end up the same way.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
No love bro :)

I feed the little monster some times.   I don't endorse bitch slapping providers or punting their network offline.   But hey who am I to judge.  I am old and fuddy and my tits sag.  In other words, I just am not as much fun as I use to be.

Balancing freedom of speech vs. HF kids... gosh, I hope we never have that situation.

I just *kinda* wish *maybe* that Riot would be a tad more discrete or creative with his discoveries.  I'd *hate* to think *he* was involved in something ahhh blackhatish.

fixidixi

@mikhu:

"Did you know that If you login to another persons email account it is counted as a felony in most countries?"

Well that if you acted without that other persons consent..

mitgib

Verified Provider
HackForums (and several other similar communities) originally started with C|EH-centric goals.  Whitehat, actual security discussion, etc.  Kids like this turned it into the shithole it is today.  I'm as much against censorship as anyone else - but I happen to like this place, and wouldn't want to see it end up the same way.
I had high hopes when the LE* shit hit the fan, but the amount of double posts here and at LET and this place sinking to the same level of stupidity have put me off, I don't think much can be done to clean up either :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner