amuck-landowner

Is IPMI important for a Dedi?

concerto49

Verified Provider
Would you buy a dedicated server without IPMI?

Provided that remote re-install is available and automated by customer (via PXE).

A rescue system is also available (via PXE).

Remote reboot is available (via Switched PDU or tickets free).

remote KVM is available for loan for a small fee.

Yes, we're planning to release some budget dedicated servers in the future. i5 Haswell 8GB RAM 500GB HDD ($49 or below).

wdq

Quade
I'd still prefer IPMI, but being able to reinstall the operating system, and reboot without a ticket would be good enough for most things. 

Would the remote KVM be available for let's say something like an hour for a small fee instead of the lease? I think that would be useful just in case the networking configuration gets messed up, or something like that. 

concerto49

Verified Provider
I'd still prefer IPMI, but being able to reinstall the operating system, and reboot without a ticket would be good enough for most things. 

Would the remote KVM be available for let's say something like an hour for a small fee instead of the lease? I think that would be useful just in case the networking configuration gets messed up, or something like that. 
Yes, the fee is just the cost of remote hands (to cover the costs we have to pay) to hook it up and disconnect it after - whatever it is. I don't expect it to be used often. You can lend it for a couple of hours.

yolo

Why not just buy a IPMI pci card? They are cheap and will save you money in the long run with support and such. 

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Ipmi can be useful if setup and secured properly. I believe there is a article or two on how hackers use the ipmi to get into client systems and steal data or take down servers. Hacker Holes in Server Management System Allow ‘Almost-Physical’ Access to the system. Imagine I can access your system in a physical environment and I don't have a password. With linux just reboot and reset it in single user mode, Windows will require a few steps 1. upload a iso to reset pw 2. reboot and load that iso, reset and now you have access, really scary if you think about it how many people or data centers give clients ipmi access on the public network. Not only is it vulnerable to DDOS it is also a means to your data.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I consider it important because I have two potential reasons, of equal importance to me, for having a budget dedi.

1. Backups

2. Testing grounds

If #2, I will be reluctant to bother you for a budget system to reinstall as often as I may need depending on what it is that I'm testing (and that itself may change every other week). If #1, I don't care at all. That's just me though. I'm a strange client.

concerto49

Verified Provider
I consider it important because I have two potential reasons, of equal importance to me, for having a budget dedi.

1. Backups

2. Testing grounds

If #2, I will be reluctant to bother you for a budget system to reinstall as often as I may need depending on what it is that I'm testing (and that itself may change every other week). If #1, I don't care at all. That's just me though. I'm a strange client.
Thanks Jarland. As indicated remote reboot and auto os installs are freely available. Does this not meant your requirements for 2?

Zach

Verified Provider
Not terribly important to have IPMI.  If I were looking for a dedicated server, I wouldn't see not having IPMI as a deal breaker.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I'd be more inclined to get a kvm appliance in the rack and have the servers permanently hooked up. You van then provide kvm access when needed. Cheaper than getting all the servers kitted with IPMI.

It is a but of a deal breaker for me to be honest - I like to know I have total control no matter what happens.

concerto49

Verified Provider
I'd be more inclined to get a kvm appliance in the rack and have the servers permanently hooked up. You van then provide kvm access when needed. Cheaper than getting all the servers kitted with IPMI.

It is a but of a deal breaker for me to be honest - I like to know I have total control no matter what happens.

Well, the whole reason is of course to cut cost to offer the low prices. Adding IPMI on proper E3/E5 is not a problem. It'd be more than 2x the price on those though. But feedback noted.

Slownode

Making a secure remote KVM is a pain; mouse, keyboard, networking, easy... it's the damn video capturing that's the problem, capturing VGA or digital costs a lot; too bad text-mode video is not a staple in operating systems.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
For reinstalls I wouldn't care about IPMI since it's provided for free. I rarely use the ilo on servers I manage unless there is a problem. It's those rare occasions that an IPMI or Ilo is really useful.

An I bet that in 99% of the times that when shit hits the fan, the time from noticing it, to submitting a ticket, to get kvm and then for the kvm to be setup is not so enjoyable.

For me it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if I would use it for something not so important.

Hassan

Verified Provider
Would you buy a dedicated server without IPMI?

Provided that remote re-install is available and automated by customer (via PXE).

A rescue system is also available (via PXE).

Remote reboot is available (via Switched PDU or tickets free).

remote KVM is available for loan for a small fee.

Yes, we're planning to release some budget dedicated servers in the future. i5 Haswell 8GB RAM 500GB HDD ($49 or below).
As long as there is remote reboot and remote KVM at least available even at a cost thats all I need.

peterw

Ask yourself how often you need to see the bios / raid controller.

Everything else can be done with a reinstall of os.

amuck-landowner