amuck-landowner

Is there a GUI tool to copy data between servers?

vanarp

I am looking for a GUI tool (Windows/Linux/Browser-based) that helps with copying data between two different servers (of course VPSes) directly without having to route the data through the PC.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Doesn't Win-SCP allow tunnels between 2 servers for transfer between said servers while being controlled from a windows client. 

TheLinuxBug

Setup an ftpd that supports fxp (most default ftp setups disable this, you will need to read man pages for chosen ftp daemon for enabling it) on both servers and use FXP to transfer files from one server to the other using an ftp client that support fxp (FlashFXP for windows, probably many others). It will allow you to queue files on one server and transfer directly to the other using a GUI client on your desktop.   

There may be other options, but this is the first that comes to mind with your requirements.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Curious what you need this for :)  Just to spot check and one off manually transfer files?

Typically I just run good old rsync and let it do the magic, all commandline.

So if you need the spot check manual thing, SCP is what to use... Encrypted, data not flying out in the open.

To make it mega Windows-like, get FUSE enabled on your VPSes.  The install sshfs and map the shares between the two remote hosts.

Some text panel file manager like Midnight Commander (yes there are others) can be ran on either VPS and navigate the local directory on that server and the SSHFS mapping of the remote server. 

From there it is pretty self explanatory to copy, delete, etc.

Hope that helps.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeppers, what @wlanboy said there.  Sweet and simple.

Works alarmingly well.  Tons of command line options and dry run/testing recommended before running against live data.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Tons of rsync tutorials out there.   Probably are dozens of rsync GUIs to wrap it up and make it easier.  Good for experimenting with at first.

Get very familiar with rsync and scp and life will be greater.   Authors of both packages deserve a massive thank you.  Both are used all over the place in all sorts of gadgets, appliances, geek toolkits, etc. :)

Zen

Late again. :(

Nothing wrong with rsync.. does it's job perfectly. Some people report data corruption or missing files but I've never actually had such an experience.

Also, look into BTSync - It's based on the BitTorrent protocol and although it may confuse you reading through docs in the end it's a prettier version of RSync with cross compatibility for Windows/Mac/Linux and some other goodies.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Been doing some work with LFTP, works really well, takes about 60 seconds to download 2,200 files at 1gb total.

lftp -u username hostname
password
mirror -P 20 -v /source /destination/on/local/

Couple commands I use to duplicate minecraft servers between eachother, works for making backups too, just compress the file at the end. I should probably learn how to write scripts and incorporate this to do it for me. What this does is connect to the ftp server and downloads 20 concurrently files at the same time to make transfers faster than 1 at a time.

amuck-landowner