amuck-landowner

Just received this on Skype from Nick @ RamNode

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Hmm, sounds like it was phished based on the message D. Strout posted earlier?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Man, what's with the hate of  RamNode by some random, faceless and if found headless skids lately?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Man, what's with the RamNode hate of some random, faceless and if found headless skids lately?
@ someone has put allot of effort into this. I wonder what the skid sent Nick by email... to make him "byte" and phish his Skype password.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Nick said "social engineering", not "phishing". Maybe they called Skype support and convinced them they were Nick somehow, then got access to the account and had their fun.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Nick said "social engineering", not "phishing". Maybe they called Skype support and convinced them they were Nick somehow, then got access to the account and had their fun.
@D. Strout I doubt that. I've contacted Skype support before and they won't cooperate. Then again maybe the skid got lucky.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
someone has put allot of effort into this. I wonder what the skid sent Nick by email... to make him "byte" and phish his Skype password.

That's a fair question.  I do wonder.

I have disjointed accounts, so cornering me into a click or something like that isn't going to happen.  It's the luxury of not being public person / provider with clear accounts, known emails, etc.

Reminds me of another reason to stop warehousing info online --- especially in email where a treasure trove could be taken and mined. 

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
That's a fair question. I do wonder. I have disjointed accounts, so cornering me into a click or something like that isn't going to happen. It's the luxury of not being public person / provider with clear accounts, known emails, etc. Reminds me of another reason to stop warehousing info online --- especially in email where a treasure trove could be taken and mined.
@ I have 20+ email accounts and not a single one of them has any relevant or useful information.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I get the feeling Nick won't be divulging the exact nature of the attack. If it was password reuse and he's too ashamed to admit it, that would be a pity. Either way, I have to say I'm losing some confidence in RamNode. Malicious skids shouldn't be having this much success, first against SVM and now against his Skype.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have 20+ email accounts and not a single one of them has any relevant or useful information.

Impressive.  How do you accomplish such a feat?  There are all these account emails, emails that tend to leak personal info, etc.

I've gone out of my way to self preserve --- but open to other folks ideas.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Impressive. How do you accomplish such a feat? There are all these account emails, emails that tend to leak personal info, etc. I've gone out of my way to self preserve --- but open to other folks ideas.
@ They're all used for different things, however I don't type up any relevant conversations. I have a phone (or two) if I need to talk to someone about something important, and if I want to, I can also scramble the conversation. You can never be to careful... Oh, and I don't click, not even open, emails that I have no clue where they are coming from. They go to /dev/null so to speak.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
I'm guessing it's this, I don't think Robert is quite that daft. Whoever it is really knows how to push everyone's buttons though, it's starting to get pretty damn annoying..
Whoever it is, it's not the kind of person that you want to mess with :unsure:

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
They're connecting from 168.63.55.14, which is a microsoft owned IP.

Francisco
Microsoft introduced media proxy to Skype as an optional setting, so no more direct P2P calling. This is probably just a skype proxy server.

Steven F

Verified Provider
While I cannot comment on Nick's password habits, please remember that it is possible he uses the same password for another service. Meaning the "hacker" used social engineering to acquire (this scenario is 100% made up) his Linked In password, which Nick also uses for Skype.

Leyton

Verified Provider
Microsoft introduced media proxy to Skype as an optional setting, so no more direct P2P calling. This is probably just a skype proxy server.
Learn something new every day...

2013-06-27_1619.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
I get the feeling Nick won't be divulging the exact nature of the attack. If it was password reuse and he's too ashamed to admit it, that would be a pity. Either way, I have to say I'm losing some confidence in RamNode. Malicious skids shouldn't be having this much success, first against SVM and now against his Skype.
I know.

If this happens again, I guess I'm looking at Linode.

JDiggity

I know.

If this happens again, I guess I'm looking at Linode.
You realize that Linode got hacked a few years ago and everyones credit card details, passwords and emails were released?

They got hit in the hyperVM hack.  Please realize this before using Linode as if they are the only secure provider.

amuck-landowner