amuck-landowner

KernelCare

Asim

Is KernelCare something worth spending? I know KSplice was a shown no love when Oracle purchased it

If you have any better alternates, issues, reviews etc please do post

Bruce

Verified Provider
plenty of fans out there. I asked the same question, and was told clearly that it's worth the money. not yet trialled it myself though

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Last year there were a number new vulns found and it took KC a long time to issue updates. I think they lost a LOT of favour as everyone else was patched and safe while KC customers had to wait considerably longer.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@MartinD that definitely changed this year. The most recent critical exploits with OpenVZ were patched by KC over a week before the patched OpenVZ kernel was moved to stable.

It's worth it if you like you clients. Faster patching and no downtime, what's not to love.

I highly recommend contacting LicensePal if you are getting any number of licenses.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
I'm quite happy with it, and $2.95/month/server isn't really a sum I'd even considering asking myself "is it worth it?"... what you need to ask yourself is "is it a good piece of software?"... and I believe it is.

Scopehosts

Verified Provider
It presently only supports OpenVZ and dedicated servers, KC is really doing good to the webhosters in saving their time. 

Eagerly waiting for Xen and KVM support. You can find many providing this useful addon.

Yes its relatively new when compared to KSplice. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
It presently only supports OpenVZ and dedicated servers, KC is really doing good to the webhosters in saving their time. 

Eagerly waiting for Xen and KVM support. You can find many providing this useful addon.

Yes its relatively new when compared to KSplice. 
KernelCare runs on basically any of the major Linux distros, here's the kernels it supports: CentOS, RHEL, CloudLinux, OpenVZ, Debian, Ubuntu, Virtuozzo, and PCS. I'm running it on my Quadranet InfraCloud VPS (which is KVM to my knowledge) without any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scopehosts

Verified Provider
I meant to say on the dedicated servers which are installed with Xen and KVM Virtualization Technology. Not the VPS`s. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I meant to say on the dedicated servers which are installed with Xen and KVM Virtualization Technology. Not the VPS`s. 
We're running it on our KVM nodes without any issues, we're just using the native CentOS kernels. Why would you think it wouldn't run on Xen or KVM nodes?

Licensecart

Paging @Licensecart   for the sales talk and general current product value pitch on KernelCare.
Not sure what I can say about it mate haha. 

But KernelCare works on:

• CentOS 5.x

• CentOS 6.x

• CentOS 7.x

• RHEL 5.x

• RHEL 6.x

• RHEL 7.x

• CloudLinux 5.x

• CloudLinux 6.x

• Debian 6.x

• Debian 7.x

• Ubuntu 14.04

• OpenVZ/VZ/PCS 2.6.32 based kernels

But doesn't work on 32 bit.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
I use KernelCare and love it. Makes patching kernels automatic and effortless. No reboots is worth it.

Husky

Verified Dog
Verified Provider
It's nice, but as Martin says the patches can be a little slow.

Is it worth the cost? Probably, but it also depends how much time you have to set up and carry out maintenance windows? For small numbers of nodes, I wouldn't bother so much. But as you grow larger, rolling reboots of lots of servers can be very time consuming

also +1 for proxmox. Certainly improved a lot in their latest versions

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
We have a Customer running Kernel Care who is very happy with this service. I would definitely recommend if you need to avoid reboots.

amuck-landowner