amuck-landowner

LE* Pit

shovenose

Verified Provider
So, Orien, perhaps you can get anon-e-mouse and bear to stop acting like tyrants and unban me at WHT?

jarland

The ocean is digital
Finally got around to a unique password for everything. Well, a couple things not included that I frankly couldn't care less if people got into of course.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Love you little icon there WelltodoInformalCattle :)

The passwords are hashed and I have no idea of how secure they are or aren't.  But, clearly lots of folks were looking at admin info today.  Data dumped?   Maybe.  Haven't seen it floating around yet.

Ugly, for honest non nerds who aren't disguising themselves on LET.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So I propose we setup a rescue system to identify and attract some of the decent folks from LET over to vpsBoard.

TheLinuxBug is one of those people.  He just wrote an elegant heartfelt piece about why hordes of us are infuriated with the Colocrossing ownership.  Someone outreach and tell him who is moving their puck over to here.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/10510/official-qa/p3

says:

TL; DR:

This was a community of Linux/Unix and virtualization enthusiasts, now it is just another commercial advertising machine like WHT. The community members were lied to, and what ColoCrossing did was wrong, even the so called lies of omission. "No buddy directly asked me" and other cop outs. They should apology formally to the community members who worked so hard here to keep this place a great place to be as well as for lying and being unscrupulous. Do I think they will, probably not.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Now that it's out in the open they are trying to spin it. Who you might ask? The peeps behind LowEndTalk, ColoCrossing and gang that is. I am not speculating here, Liam himself posted this on LET:

http://sqz.io/spinmeister

I have also quote it, as well as taken a screenshot:

Liam:

// I had hoped to post this last night however the forum was not up when I headed off to sleep.

In the past few days I have not been too well. Therefore I have spent very little time on a computer. I have however noticed tonight several posts/things that we would like to clear up and address.

Contrary to popular belief, one person or entity has not run LowEndBox for quite sometime. Jon, from ColoCrossing, has been actively involved with helping run LowEndBox for a while. When he initially got involved, some may remember LEB was in a desperate state. Recently his involvement has steadfastly increased as others have decided to Part Company.

It is not a secret that LEB/LET has quite a few problems. Large proportions of these issues have been around for a while and remain unfixed. Fortunately I, and others involved, now have the power to fix these problems. We will also be implementing other long overdue improvements.

The Wild West nature of the community will be reigned in as we guide LowEndTalk back to its position as a respectable server admin forum. Extreme childness will not be tolerated. LowEndBox is also being carefully redrafted to interest all aspects of the community. The ratio between offers vs non-offer content will also be corrected.

I will be managing the site now. I will be taking a active and direct role within the community. In essence, we are going to turn LowEndBox into a really cool place for us techies, server admins etc ? Editorial independence will remain indefinitely.

Just to note, for once and for all, ChicagoVPS is not the same company as ColoCrossing and yes SysAdmin does indeed work for ColoCrossing. ColoCrossing has been responsible for hosting the website for about a year and a half.

The hack tonight was down to an exploit in Vanilla forums and due to poor server administration. We have taken steps to prevent this from happening in the future. User data was not compromised and we are looking to reset all passwords as soon as possible.

Have a good night!

sxhoEJi.jpg

blergh

Verified Provider
That post is a load of bullshit, who in there right mind would think that he, or anyone else for that matter, was away. The fact that nothing has changed in years apart from completely dropping things like the wiki, the deadpool, tutorials and other interesting elements and replacing them with a boatload of CC-offers and ads that is. LEB/LET is dead and should stay that way, it was long dead/dying way prior to this too, this was just the last nail in the coffin.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
WTF?  Liam just lost any credibility he had with that post, in my opinion.

LET was hacked because they weren't doing any Sysadmin work.

Thank button was removed due to an EXPLOIT.  Even though community members submitted the patched fix MANY months ago.

"Jon, from ColoCrossing, has been actively involved with helping run LowEndBox"

Huh?  What is Biloh doing all this time? Spying and banning or pretending to be Alex/Sysadmin.   Come on.   Actively helping?  They can't even maintain Nginx + PHP + Vanilla updates.  F*cking jokes.

" some may remember LEB was in a desperate state"

Was that before or after the DDoS takeover hoax?

"its position as a respectable server admin forum"

No chance of that happening unless they mortgage a Biloh property to put talented CONTRIBUTORS on staff to produce content.

"childness will not be tolerated."

How old is Liam?   Yeah, guess they are overdue to ban themselves and Chicag-ho-VPS.

"ratio between offers vs non-offer content will also be corrected"

Is that the problem?  Or is the problem the ratio of CC offers as a percentage of all offers?

"we are going to turn LowEndBox into a really cool place for us techies, server admins etc"

Free hookers and cocaine?  Cool place to hang out... Like daycare?

"ChicagoVPS is not the same company as ColoCrossing"

Not that again.   Do we need to point at all the issues with such a claim including Chris being on CC payroll, titled employee, sharing IPs with Biloh, etc.?  

"ColoCrossing has been responsible for hosting the website for about a year and a half."

These idiots can't even count.  Year and a half = 18 months.   DDoS attack on LET/LEB was March 2012.  That is 14 months for the math challenged.

"The hack tonight"

Tonight? It was the afternoon.  Buffalo is in Eastern Time Zone.  It was prime time. Daytime.

"User data was not compromised"

No, just IPs and emails and last login, first login, password hash.   But that isn't a compromise.

Someone tell Liam to SHUT THE FUCK UP.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
The hack tonight"

Tonight? It was the afternoon.  Buffalo is in Eastern Time Zone.  It was prime time. Daytime.
Liam is UK based, it was night time for him.

I think CC people took "care" of the restore from backups ... Jon or Alex or ... whoever it was...

Give the guy some space, Liam has put ALOT of time and energy into the site and it would probably be a graveyard by now (not sure if that's a bad thing when looking at the outcome) if it wasn't for him.

Ash

Welcome Ash!

Why were you banned from LET? was there a reason ?
I requested to have it disabled yesterday and it looks like that was a good decision to make :p

It was getting to a point where LET was bad for business, rather than an advantage.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Now I am confused.

Whole time Liam knew Colocrossing was running the show...?

Isn't that the opposite of what folks who interacted with Liam believed based on interactions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Now I am confused.

Whole time Liam knew Colocrossing was running the show...?

Isn't that the opposite of what folks who interacted with Liam believed based on interactions?
I asked Liam a few minutes ago about it and he said he found out a few days ago.
I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Liam has his own livelihood to defend in this, he isn't going to lash out at his employer,

especially when he gets to do something he enjoys.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Liam is disco dancing now on the topic elsewhere on LET:

Look, I receive a small amount of compensation for my work at LEB/LET. This was previously paid by @chief and as of a few days, is now being fulfilled by Jon (via the lowendbox account). I have no relationship with CC other than being in contact with Jon.
So Liam believed CC was behind the site, but couldn't prove it until a few days ago?

He was being paid too...  Were other moderators being paid?

Colocrossing is utter deceptive shit.   They hid they were the man behind the curtain from the moderators.

Liam when he found out, just kept going along to get along.  Yeah, quality there.  

Worse is after all this, he's writing words defending it all and giving pep talks.

No thanks kid.

Ash

LMFAO...

@Liam: I am not employed by CC but by LEB as a separate entity.

Does this sound like somebody else we know?

blergh

Verified Provider
LMFAO...

@Liam: I am not employed by CC but by LEB as a separate entity.

Does this sound like somebody else we know?
And what does that mean in practice? That his pay is from CC?

Also, OP, stop using your shitty tinyurl-clone.

amuck-landowner