amuck-landowner

LET Down?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I wonder how much he gets paid... is it public knowledge? I hope it's worth it!

That was all a lie and clearly no one had interest in getting to the bottom of it. The silences speak volumes.
There is no public number but he claims that he doesn't get paid very much but personally puts a high value on being able to manage a supposedly high profile website.

Someone did the math on all the ads running on the site and it worked out to like $5000/m from buysellads. In that @mpkossen is being paid and I'm assuming there's a few other mods that get at least a little bit of something. Biloh made a comment at one point that he was looking to hire some writers but he couldn't budget it.

When it comes to the cash flow I guess interesting question would be "is LE* a customer of CC, given both are children to velocity?". If that's the case it's possible the cluster is upwards of $1000/month to host once you count cloudflare business, etc.

Francisco

AuroraZero

If they are paying that kind of money to host that site and it is not staying up then they need to rethink their strategy a bit. I don't like calling people morons but a couple of monkeys with tin cans and strings may have better uptime then that site as of late.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If they are paying that kind of money to host that site and it is not staying up then they need to rethink their strategy a bit. I don't like calling people morons but a couple of monkeys with tin cans and strings may have better uptime then that site as of late.
While I don't have a link to the comment, there was a statement by one of the admins that claimed the cluster was made up of ~8 boxes.

Cloudflare is $200/month, assuming they're on premium, then whatever it is for 8 boxes.

The reason I think they have it split like this is because HVH is supposedly split like this as well. Own equipment pools, etc.

Francisco

AuroraZero

That is insanity of the highest order. I know of a lot bigger sites that do not use anything close to that and have nothing near the problems. Such a waste of money and resources for both sites, that it is shameful.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
That is insanity of the highest order. I know of a lot bigger sites that do not use anything close to that and have nothing near the problems. Such a waste of money and resources for both sites, that it is shameful.
Honestly I figure they were trying to rely on syncookies to protect them when they were bleeding (spoofed?) SYN floods.

A single NGINX install can handle some serious volumes of traffic. I mean, the site is behind cloudflare now so CF is likely doing some caching, so the amount of load on backend servers is fairly minimal. I'm fairly sure the reason 'search' has been broken for so long is whomever was flooding them was pounding it with GET requests and blasting their SQL DB out.

I used to think their control panel was 100% inhouse, and while it is in that they built it for themselves, I don't think the developers are a part of CC's usual work force. If they were at all competent they would be able to engineer some improvements.

(I'm being vague in what changes that could be made to help deal with the flood they're eating.)

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Solo down for me looks like they really puffed someone off.
It's "probably" the sz1 fellow, he wants some threads down. The problem with just 'doing what he asks' is that any sketchy host that does sketchy things can just DDOS it into the ground and make the same demands.

Quick fix? Do what he asks. Smart fix? Figure out what these people are slamming and address it. Once they give in once, they might as well stop anyone from being able to post any negative reviews or hell, even positive reviews, because they're going to nom them packets.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
So... I've been out of the loop here for a while. Has LET seriously been down for 15 days? From DDoS? I take it from the posts here it may have been up a little bit here and there, but damn, that's a lot of downtime. I know LEB has been up a bit more since I still visit occasionally, unless I missed something there too.

perennate

Verified Provider
@D. Strout it's been going on and off for the last week.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So... I've been out of the loop here for a while. Has LET seriously been down for 15 days? From DDoS? I take it from the posts here it may have been up a little bit here and there, but damn, that's a lot of downtime. I know LEB has been up a bit more since I still visit occasionally, unless I missed something there too.
Very spotty, not full blown 15 days.

As of right now they've been down for the better part of the last 2 days with other large outages prior to that.

Francisco

trewq

Verified Provider
@Francisco if it's just simple flooding couldn't rules be implemented at a network level to effectively rate limit requests from all IPs individually?

I would think that by doing this it would be easy enough to run a setup that could deal with the "bad" requests that leak though.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@Francisco if it's just simple flooding couldn't rules be implemented at a network level to effectively rate limit requests from all IPs individually?

I would think that by doing this it would be easy enough to run a setup that could deal with the "bad" requests that leak though.
You're assuming it isn't spoofed.

Again, i'm not going to go into this for free ;)

Francisco

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Some guy on irc claimed that yesterday was him because he was banned.

Last I read before going to sleep was that he was heading over to #Frantech and that @Francisco knew who he was since he helped (?) with a whmcs issue not long ago.

Name was t0xic.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Some guy on irc claimed that yesterday was him because he was banned.

Last I read before going to sleep was that he was heading over to #Frantech and that @Francisco knew who he was since he helped (?) with a whmcs issue not long ago.

Name was t0xic.
There was some convo going on about if he was involved or not.

Honestly, LE's such an easy target right now that there's probably a half dozen people smacking at them.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
There was some convo going on about if he was involved or not.

Honestly, LE's such an easy target right now that there's probably a half dozen people smacking at them.

Francisco
haha well Sz1hosting (or HostingandVPS kid) came in and was blaming BuyVM for DDoSing LET and @kcaj.

Obvious idiot but still made me chuckle.  

centoslgd

haha well Sz1hosting (or HostingandVPS kid) came in and was blaming BuyVM for DDoSing LET and @kcaj.

Obvious idiot but still made me chuckle.  
One of the moderators claimed it was ViCommunications. Even that guy's sentence structure & use of grammar was much different to that of sz1

alessio

LET is a big community site.. very big. I really dont know why they keep the uptime below 99%. I think they has enought profit to rent a dedicated server or buy an owned litespeed webserver , or buy DDOS protection from many providers.

I really not understand how they could accept to happen this.
This is something which puzzles me as well. Everybody will understand that a constant availability might not be achievable and so an issue once in a while isnt a problem, but outages of this scale are different to comprehend for a site of this size. The only explanation I could come up with is they either do not care or do not have the resources (financially, experience-wise, time-wise etc.) to keep it running. It looks rather like carelessness though if you realise that not even the DNS records are in order.

amuck-landowner