amuck-landowner

Lets Encrypt: Free SSL Certificates. How will other certificate authorities compete?

graeme

Let's Encrypt is good because it will allow people to use SSL with their crappy blogs or photo galleries that nobody but themselves and their family want to look at but it'sl not going to replace paid OV and EV certificates used by many businesses (their certificates will probably be very popular with summer hosts though who don't want to make a "large investment" of $10 in a paid cert).

AWS uses a certificate that is not EV and has no organisation info. Not a summer host! Online retailers seem to use a mix of cert types.

I do not understand the point of OV certs. There is no obvious indication of the difference so very few people will notice that it is any different from DV.

DV certificates are a big chuck of the certificate issuing business (lower cost but bigger volume), and it must be high margin (because it is entirely automated).

Last edited by a moderator:

Localnode

Verified Provider
Why do people pay more for a Symantec, Thawte, or Globalsign certificate when Comodo are super cheap?

I don't see Comodo, or any other CA having trouble. Symantec has its brand name and their little "trust seal" while Globalsign has Stop The Hacker, and Comodo has their hackerproof thing.
EV and OV SSL's will always have a place - and I don't see LE planning on issuing those.

River

Verified Provider
Why do people pay more for a Symantec, Thawte, or Globalsign certificate when Comodo are super cheap?

I don't see Comodo, or any other CA having trouble. Symantec has its brand name and their little "trust seal" while Globalsign has Stop The Hacker, and Comodo has their hackerproof thing.
EV and OV SSL's will always have a place - and I don't see LE planning on issuing those.

Because people are paying for the name. Why does someone buy the Corvette when the Honda does just fine?

Another thing is sometimes they will offer like $1 million in insurance for hacked sites or whatever, they all probably don't do that. So it might be feature (addon) based as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Localnode

Verified Provider
Because people are paying for the name. Why does someone buy the Corvette when the Honda does just fine?

Another thing is sometimes they will offer like $1 million in insurance for hacked sites or whatever, they all probably don't do that. So it might be feature (addon) based as well.

I basically did say they paid for the brand name...

graeme

CYA. The cost is small in context, its not their money (its the companies) and by using a known brand they cover themselves if something goes wrong.

This is the reasoning behind almost all technology (product and service) purchases.

retrack

amuck-landowner