amuck-landowner

Linode Managed! Very reasonably priced!

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Personally I have no need for such services, but I consider the term managed very specific and I expect whoever is advertising such a service to take complete care of my servers. If I have to login and do things myself - even if it only involves minute tasks - then it should only be considered semi-managed, no?
You say Potato, I say potato.

What you see in that table is a graphic view of whats included. The only way to really understand whats done by each side is to read the agreement that you sign with Linode.

At my day-job most of our customers are setup like this. They host their server with us and we help as much as possible to solve any issue that can happen.

The part were the customer never have to be involved in are hardware and virtualization. If there upgrades needed to be done to the host, the customer should never notice the upgrade.

If their exchange server stops sending emails, we assist but will send an invoice for our time. Pretty much everything is written down in the agreement thats signed by both sides before the customer gets their VM into our cluster.

Note that we charge somewhere around $100-200 / hour. Depending on customer and work that needs to be done.

prometeus

Verified Provider
I think it's a right price if you look at it with from a business point of view and if the service you get is good and professional. 

I know serveral company (including some of my clients) which are happy to pay hundreds (or thousands) per month to have the servers (physical or virtual doesn't matter) managed by a trusted provider...

:p

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Looks more like semi-managed than fully managed. Most customers expect fully managed, regardless of what they are paying.

vanarp

Personally, if I can afford I would go for WiredTree's fully managed vps than this managed linode.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It's certainty not what I would call "managed", but it seems more targetted to those with either bigger linodes or several which is going to remove all the $20 customers from raising tickets every 10 minutes with "can you fix this or that".

If it works for them!  And I am sure it will.

dominicl

IMO, it's not that bad.

If you have, say, 10 servers with Linode then it could be quite a good deal.

mpkossen

... Most customers expect fully managed, regardless of what they are paying.
Exactly. I solely have managed customers at the moment. They really expect me to do everything, even though that's not what they're paying for. If people pay for managed, in my experience, they really want fully managed.
I don't think Linode's offer is bad though, same with their pricing. They match (for example) BuyVM. $100/month for management is quite reasonable for businesses.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
IMO, it's not that bad. If you have, say, 10 servers with Linode then it could be quite a good deal.
@dominicl or just get a dedicated box with something like 32GB Ram and partition it into several VMs and pay someone half of what you would pay Linode to manage everything. 10 x $100 is $1000 per month, so I have no doubt that someone would manage a dedicated box with VMs for $500 per month.

Exactly. I solely have managed customers at the moment. They really expect me to do everything, even though that's not what they're paying for. If people pay for managed, in my experience, they really want fully managed.
@mpkossen and I'm pretty sure that you're charging them a pretty reasonable price. I know how time consuming managed services can be so I've passed on the torch to @KBeezie ;-) He handles that now for me.

amuck-landowner