amuck-landowner

Linode Managed! Very reasonably priced!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Meh, Linode isn't targeting the lowend market so $100 a month for a no-nonsense, fully managed service isn't that bad.

I'd pay it, if it meant I could just log a ticket and ask them to do stuff for me that I don't feel like doing myself.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Expected on pricing. It is Linode. Problem is apparently you can only have management or no management and not choose per node!?

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
So say you have 5 nodes, but you only want to manage 1, they charge you the whole 500$, that sounds rather ridiculous .

All or nothing! (lottery reference)

thekreek

Is it just me or is linode repeating the same mistakes slicehost did.

From a developer vps provider to a corporate vps provider.

Higher prices, fewer new features and a lot of marketing.

rds100

Verified Provider
$100/month for management doesn't sound unreasonable to me. What do you think would be a fair price?

A Jump From Let

Meh, Linode isn't targeting the lowend market so $100 a month for a no-nonsense, fully managed service isn't that bad.

I'd pay it, if it meant I could just log a ticket and ask them to do stuff for me that I don't feel like doing myself.
Under some circumstances, I'd be as well needing help. Since VPS aren't only used to keep idle nor for running a script and leaving it, but may have critical use. Hence if such management can help saving the day once in a month where I didn't get 10 hours of downtime for any stupid reason, it can be worth it paying for management.

Last edited by a moderator:

blergh

Verified Provider
If you offer a good service, and you are well aware of your skills and quality i do not see any issues whatsoever with charging accordingly. You people are just cheapskates that need to wake up and realize that things cost money, and that good quality services also cost money.

Expecting magic for 25$ is not really going to work out for anyone.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
$100/month for server management is really not that unreasonable.
Considering that Linode is also host to many business's it isn't a shock that it costs $100 a month, but to be fair its just a label and a invoice that they're actually offering until the client needs help :p

netnub

$100/month for management doesn't sound unreasonable to me. What do you think would be a fair price?
$100/month/node. So if someone has 4 nodes, they'd be paying w/e the node prices are, then an additional $400 for management.

Chronic

Except it's not fully managed like that, at least from what I gathered from their website.

G4v33GN.png

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
@Chronic,

I think that will be as close as you can get. If they should take care of your applications you should go with a hosted solution instead.

With this you get access to the root account.

Chronic

@Chronic,

I think that will be as close as you can get. If they should take care of your applications you should go with a hosted solution instead.

With this you get access to the root account.
Personally I have no need for such services, but I consider the term managed very specific and I expect whoever is advertising such a service to take complete care of my servers. If I have to login and do things myself - even if it only involves minute tasks - then it should only be considered semi-managed, no?

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
If this discussion would have taken place on LET, I think that most participants would have been outraged by the amount of this fee. That being said, I think that this is in line with what Rackspace is charging for VPS management as well.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, I wonder what their definition of 'Co Managed' is, as they seem to 'Co Manage' tuning, and 'Co Manage' the Operating System. 

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Well, I wonder what their definition of 'Co Managed' is, as they seem to 'Co Manage' tuning, and 'Co Manage' the Operating System.
@MannDude I think it means that if I, as a customer open a ticket and ask for Apache to be replaced with Nginx for better performance they will do a (lets say we're using CentOS for this example) "service httpd stop; chkconfig httpd off; yum install nginx; chkconfig nginx on;" at the very minimum and at the most they'll install the old spawn-fcgi daemon to handle PHP instead of PHP-FPM, because they won't touch any other repo than EPEL. This stuff is actually easy, because the hardest part will be to write the Nginx config files so that your web sites work the same way as they did with Apache. If this is the case then I'm not sure it's worth the money.

A Jump From Let

If this discussion would have taken place on LET, I think that most participants would have been outraged by the amount of this fee. That being said, I think that this is in line with what Rackspace is charging for VPS management as well.

Would you answer the same or differently if it was there? I guess that pretty much answers the question: they'd as well answer the same  ;)

It's mainly because Linode are top notch, though.

amuck-landowner