amuck-landowner

List of providers who offer DDoS protection.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It is hard to compete with OVH when they are tossing folks a 1GB VPS with protection @ $2.99 a month.
Especially when they're also throwing 18 months of free service into the mix as well.

I almost feel bad for all the OVH VPS providers that are going to get suckered by their own DC. I said almost because, really, it's OVH, you should've known better.

Francisco

lbft

For the sake of completeness:

• AlienVPS has Awknet LA filtered IPs in their Las Vegas location Edit: apparently not any more, although it's still listed on their website
  • Root Level's brands in LA (Semoweb, URPad etc.) have Black Lotus filtering on all their IPs.
No idea what level of protection you get with either, but given my experience in the past (not related to DDoS, just service quality and support) I wouldn't want to depend on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
I see a lot of "free DDOS protection" advertised on WHT but it ends up meaning "free automated nullrouting"... maybe we need to define DDOS protection in the first post just to be safe.
One is protection, the other one is mitigation.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@Nett How does making your VPS unrouteable count as protection or mitigation? Protecting other clients yes, but advertising it as protection to the buyer implies it protects the buyer.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
We offer 4Gbps of mitigation as standard in our Chicago location. As of right now, it comes with all services except special/reduced-price dedicated servers.

GIANT_CRAB

What does free cover?

Francisco
Basic Protection - Free

The basic protection that comes with all of our services is a mix of automated and manual detection in which a pre-defined set of rules is used to mitigate small attacks. If large attacks take place, we will disable the IP being attacked so that the rest of the IPs and services on your server continue to operate.

Extracted from: https://www.limestonenetworks.com/data-center/ddos-protection.html

beechtreellc

Verified Provider
We offer a complete IDS solution in front of our Virtual Data Centers, which includes DDoS protection, at no addtional cost.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Updated the original list to contain more than the original 3 I knew of. Will add more as they're provided.

dkstanson

For price under 5$, DDoS protection is very important. Two of VPS gots suspended because they were compromised to send DDoS attack. So never host your important sites on cheap VPS 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
For price under 5$, DDoS protection is very important. Two of VPS gots suspended because they were compromised to send DDoS attack. So never host your important sites on cheap VPS 
How does the price of a VPS affect your inability to secure it? Regardless if you pay $1 or $1000 for the VPS, if you do not take the appropriate steps to secure your own VPS you cannot fault the provider or the cost of the VPS. Also, DDOS protection does not protect against outbound attacks, that's something the client needs to do on their own.

Seriously, I am not sure if you are trolling or genuinely ignorant of technology.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
DDoS Protection is mostly protection from inbound connections.  

If your VPS were suspended because they were compromised and sending OUT a DoS attack then that means you've failed to secure your VPS.  If this is an unmanaged service (most likely), then this is the customer's responsibility, not the provider. 

Here's a good start: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-securing-your-linux-vps

Like what @KuJoe said, the price doesn't matter if you don't take proactive measures to secure it.  

SpartanHost

Verified Provider
We also provide DDoS Protection through CNservers, 20Gb/s. It's included in all Seattle services - Dedicated Servers and VPS's.

Oliver

Verified Provider
RansomIT offers DDOS mitigation/protection at no extra cost in Sydney and Auckland only. The upstream provider for these POPs runs their own NSFOCUS hardware in the US (but on their network) to filter traffic before it even crosses the Pacific.

amuck-landowner