amuck-landowner

Looking for a Pandora alternative.

tragic

Verified Provider
I used Spotify across all my computers and phone. It's great and well worth the $9.99/monthly.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Is there a Spotify client for Linux that isn't browser based?  Perhaps something like the Pandora client herein above listed... or something with CLI?

BuyCPanel-Kevin

Verified Provider
Doesn't spotify already have a GUI client? (I've never used it, I always use my phone) but I cant imagine it would be too hard to port to linux using something like wine

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
They have a client in development for Linux. You can install it on Ubuntu. I've had some success running the Windows client in WINE, but... It's running in WINE, so it's not the best. 

trewq

Verified Provider
sh**t

Rdio isn't available in your country just yet

time to use vpn :)
Just had a look at Rdio. Seems to do exactly the same thing as Spotify and costs the same but has less people using it.

Dylan

Giving Google Music a try now - it's a little quirky, and the price is a bit higher than what you're wanting (10$/mo) - but it's doing decently enough so far.
Google Play Music All Access (ugh, what a mouthful) beats Spotify hands down IMO. The streaming catalogs are virtually identical, but with Google, and this is a huge but, you can also upload your own music (or, hell, any audio files) to your library and then stream it anywhere. Google's Android app and web player are also much better than Spotify's.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Google Play All Access is better than Spotify, at least in terms of the radio capabilities.  I'm happier with it over Spotify.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've been buying a lot of music on Google Play (mainly because I have so much credit and don't need any apps) so maybe the All Access is the better route. I do hate how hard it is to close any apps by Google on Android but I guess that's better than listening to two songs at once.

Hxxx

RHAPSODY is the BOSS. Premium content, no ads, you select what you want from each album, you also may download the files to your phone :)

Dylan

I've been buying a lot of music on Google Play (mainly because I have so much credit and don't need any apps) so maybe the All Access is the better route. I do hate how hard it is to close any apps by Google on Android but I guess that's better than listening to two songs at once.
You can get a 30-day trial before you're charged, so you can always give it a go and cancel (wallet.google.com>subscribtions) if you don't like it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Srvify

Verified Provider
Does Spotify have the same issue as pandora with mixing music styles between channels?

I had to cancel my account and create a new one because it kept playing metal on country stations. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
RHAPSODY is the BOSS. Premium content, no ads, you select what you want from each album, you also may download the files to your phone :)
I wish I never cancelled my Rhapsody subscription, it was only around $40/year and well worth it.

You don't enable force-kill?  Or am I misunderstanding your intent?
Can you explain more about this?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
There's an option you can enable in Android (developer settings maybe?  I don't recall where it is offhand, and my phone's in the other room >_>).  But what it does it you press and hold the 'Back' button/key, and it force-kills the current app.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
There's an option you can enable in Android (developer settings maybe?  I don't recall where it is offhand, and my phone's in the other room >_>).  But what it does it you press and hold the 'Back' button/key, and it force-kills the current app.
Oh I miss that feature, it was on my older phones but not my latest 2.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
To confirm, are you aware of the technical differences in app/process management between Android and Windows/Linux/OS X? Generally speaking you probably shouldn't be 'killing' off apps in Android unless you explicitly know they are actively consuming CPU or radio time.

Memory-wise, any process that isn't either part of the active app or a 'foreground' service (i.e. one that has an active notification in the notification bar) can and will be killed by the memory management subsystem as needed. Generally, this subsystem will do a better job at maintaining performance than any person acting manually.

Taronyu

I wish I never cancelled my Rhapsody subscription, it was only around $40/year and well worth it.

Can you explain more about this?
I just wanted to try Rhapsody and it isn't available in my country :( (the Netherlands)

amuck-landowner