amuck-landowner

Looking for Xen based Linux VPS

sanjay_arora

Hello all

I am a newbie looking for a VPS with specs. similar to those given below.

Request offers & comments on what & whom should I look for. Use case is personal/company hosting for dns, mail, web, vpn, proxy & databases & backups plus some web-scraping scripts.

XEN/KVM on Centos 64 bit
CPU: one core, 3+ GHz
4 GB RAM (guaranteed)
50-200 GB disk space, should be dynamically expandable
Individual reverse DNS (=PTR) entry
2 IPs
Geographical Location not a prob.-Europe/US

UNLIMITED traffic Gb port coming down to 100 Mbit/s or even 10 Mbit after fair use is exceeded…though will not in my case…I just want the comfort of knowing I will not be charged extra if my use calculations or something else goes wrong.

Root access
Reboot web interface
VNC access

cPanel/WHM or similar control panel preinstalled with auto application install scripts, so the vps is ready for hosting reseller like usage, though I will not be reselling.

should be permitted to install vpn server & proxy server (require these for personal use)

Monthly billing with no minimum period….though will upgrade to 3-4 cores & annual billing once I am satisfied with the provider.

Awaiting comments, pointers & offers.

With regards.

Sanjay.

Last edited by a moderator:

sanjay_arora

Well, had thought of 20-25$....maybe a bit more.....don't know what's realistic. Maybe will have to raise budget a bit or maybe scale down the specs.

GVH-Jon

Banned
I'm sorry, I know you're new but the specifications of the VPS you're asking for is extremely unrealistic for the price that you want to pay.

Now you may ask, why?

Reason #1 - An unmetered gbit port for a server costs hundreds of dollars a month to purchase and maintain, especially at datacenters with quality bandwidth providers.

Reason #2 - You're asking for Xen/KVM. This means that it's either paravirtualization or full virtualization, and the host cannot oversell ANY resources.

Reason #3 - A 3Ghz+ Core means that the provider will likely be using a Xeon E3 series server and the prices will be higher since the server is smaller. You're better off looking for 2 or more Xeon E5 cores with 2+Ghz.

Reason #4 - cPanel VPS licenses are $14.95 month (from BuycPanel). That's significantly more than HALF your offer price.

Reason #5 - WEB HOSTING COMPANIES ARE NOT NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS. WE ARE HUMANS TOO AND WE NEED TO MAKE A LIVING.

You need to get yourself out of dream land.

I would compare your thread to some lower middle class guy walking into an Apple store with $5 and asking for a Macbook Pro.

sanjay_arora

Jon

Thanks. I needed input on this....researching the net gives such conflicting info....many don't disclose the type of virtualization & overselling they are doing, but their prices tend to stick with one :D

In any case, the way prices have gone down in the last few years....I expect your comment about being realistic won't be relevant in a couple of years and in some more years hosting companies will be paying buyers :p

I will be scaling the processor down to 2GHz and am now looking around 50GB hdd & 2/3 MB Ram plus 100MB unmetered with a post fair-use down to 10.

Is that more realistic in around 25-30$ with cPanel?

Thanks & Rgds.

Sanjay.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Jon

Thanks. I needed input on this....researching the net gives such conflicting info....many don't disclose the type of virtualization & overselling they are doing, but their prices tend to stick with one :D

In any case, the way prices have gone down in the last few years....I expect your comment about being realistic won't be relevant in a couple of years and in some more years hosting companies will be paying buyers :p

I will be scaling the processor down to 2GHz and am now looking around 50GB hdd & 2/3 MB Ram plus 100MB unmetered with a post fair-use down to 10.

Is that more realistic in around 25-30$ with cPanel?

Thanks & Rgds.

Sanjay.
You won't find any reputable or quality hosting company paying buyers to try their services no matter if it's 1851 or 1990 or 2013 or 2120. You're looking at all the circumstances from a consumer point of view but from a provider point of view there's more circumstances and variables to consider that most consumers are unaware about.

If a company won't tell you what virtualization they're using or whether or not they oversell upon request, then that company is an absolute joke and doesn't deserve to be in the hosting industry. Hiding those facts from clients (especially when most of the time, an experienced client can find out that information themselves without asking) is a disgrace and a horrible business practice.

On to your request: I'd say that what you are requesting now is a lot more reasonable (given that you're choosing a "budget" datacenter such as ColoCrossing, FiberHub, Incero, etc)

sanjay_arora

You won't find any reputable or quality hosting company paying buyers to try their services no matter if it's 1851 or 1990 or 2013 or 2120. You're looking at all the circumstances from a consumer point of view but from a provider point of view there's more circumstances and variables to consider that most consumers are unaware about.
That...Jon...was a Joke!! Guess I don't do jokes well :rolleyes:

Dylan

Reason #2 - You're asking for Xen/KVM. This means that it's either paravirtualization or full virtualization, and the host cannot oversell ANY resources.
I find it somewhat disingenuous when providers say this. KVM and Xen can both absolutely be oversold.

sanjay_arora

I find it somewhat disingenuous when providers say this. KVM and Xen can both absolutely be oversold.
Will you please expand on that ?....what resources on xen/kvm can & cannot be oversold? I am a bit curious....as that was my understanding exactly....I don't deal with virtualization in course of my daily work.

GVH-Jon

Banned
Will you please expand on that ?....what resources on xen/kvm can & cannot be oversold? I am a bit curious....as that was my understanding exactly....I don't deal with virtualization in course of my daily work.
Whoops my bad, I was speaking in terms of disk space resources

In Xen Paravirtualization and Xen Full Virtualization (HVM), you can ONLY oversell CPU Cores, Bandwidth, and Ports.

In KVM Virtualization you can ONLY oversell CPU Cores, Bandwidth, Ports, and Memory.

let's not forget though, there's another player in the market: VMWare. VMWare was created way before Xen was released and is Full Virtualization, similar to Xen HVM.

OpenVZ is the most economical choice and preferred choice by most consumers. The reason for this is because the price is cheaper, the host can oversell (this is beneficial if the host oversells responsibly and doesn't overload), and you get faster speeds because the kernal is shared.

sanjay_arora

Would these low cost dedicated servers @35$ & 49$ be performance equivalent of 1 core of vps cpu?

AMD Sempron 3000+
1 x 160 GB PATA
1 GB DDR
Unmetered 100Mbps*

1 x 1.2 GHz
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
2 x 300GB SATA
7200 RPM
2 GB DDR
Unmetered 100Mbps*

john

Verified Provider

In Xen Paravirtualization and Xen Full Virtualization (HVM), you can ONLY oversell CPU Cores, Bandwidth, and Ports.

In KVM Virtualization you can ONLY oversell CPU Cores, Bandwidth, Ports, and Memory.

OpenVZ is the most economical choice and preferred choice by most consumers. The reason for this is because the price is cheaper, the host can oversell (this is beneficial if the host oversells responsibly and doesn't overload), and you get faster speeds because the kernal is shared.

Disk on KVM and Xen can be oversold. It's called LVM thin provisioning. 

GVH-Jon

Banned
It takes a bit of work to configure, no? Do you think that the average host would go through all that trouble and the risks? Name me one host that oversells Disk Space on KVM and Xen, just one.

Xen and KVM are not meant to be oversold.

john

Verified Provider
Would these low cost dedicated servers @35$ & 49$ be performance equivalent of 1 core of vps cpu?

AMD Sempron 3000+

1 x 160 GB PATA

1 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*

1 x 1.2 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

2 x 300GB SATA

7200 RPM

2 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*
With a dedicated server, the CPU is dedicated to you. Most VPS providers are not going to let you use 1 full core 24/7. I'm not familiar with "web scraping scripts" but it sounds like one of those programs that will need a lot of CPU. 

Dylan

let's not forget though, there's another player in the market: VMWare. VMWare was created way before Xen was released and is Full Virtualization, similar to Xen HVM.
And you can oversell (balloon) memory on Xen.

GVH-Jon

Banned

AMD Sempron 3000+

1 x 160 GB PATA

1 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*

1 x 1.2 GHz

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

2 x 300GB SATA

7200 RPM

2 GB DDR

Unmetered 100Mbps*
If you use that dedicated server for a heavy script that's the script equivalent of jumping off a bridge.

Don't listen to the other guys above about overselling resources on Xen and KVM. You won't find any reputable host using those practices.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Yeah. Web scraping scripts use a TON of CPU. Number 1 thing that trips abuse scripts. Other than CryptoCoin (BitCoin, LiteCoin, PrimeCoin, *Coin, etc.) of course.

sanjay_arora

One would not mind disk space being oversold. Seller would get ample warning to reconfigure them (if using SAN or similar technology) but cpu processing being oversold would create contention.....not good at all.....in fact that was why I was looking at kvm.....I thought that resources are reserved....memory or processing allocated to my instance will not be used by anyone.....I think I need to read up on differences in hypervisors!!

amuck-landowner