amuck-landowner

milkywayhost.com - Free unlimited ssd shared hosting (no ads).

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwiscool

Hi i am Matthew Morgan and i like to share with you guys my newest host called Milky Way Host, we ware looking at free hosting and thought why the lack of ssd offings.​
So i thought lets change that for the better and make free hosting as good as paid hosting so here we are.​

Package: Ads Free Hosting​
Link: http://milkywayhost.com/
    Unlimited SSD space*
    Unlimited Bandwidth*
    PHP 5.2 & MySql support
    Free Control Panel
    Free tech support via email at [email protected] and via kloxo-mr ticket
    FTP & File Manager
    Unlimited addon domains
*Fair use policy at: http://milkywayhost.com/fair.php
 ​
Hosted on a VPS by digitalocean in Amsterdam 2​
 ​
 ​
I hope you guys love what i'm doing to bring hosting forward and i hope yo see your feedback.​
Matthew Morgan​

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I've approved this as, technically, no rules have been broken and the guidelines met.

While we all have a bit of fun at his expensive (right or wrong), no trolling please.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Hi i am Matthew Morgan and i like to share with you guys my newest host called Milky Way Host, we ware looking at free hosting and thought why the lack of ssd offings.​
So i thought lets change that for the better and make free hosting as good as paid hosting so here we are.​

Package: Ads Free Hosting​

Unlimited SSD space*

Unlimited Bandwidth*

PHP 5.2 & MySql support

Free Control Panel

Free tech support via email at [email protected] and via kloxo-mr ticket

FTP & File Manager

Unlimited addon domains

*Fair use policy at: http://milkywayhost.com/fair.php
 ​
Hosted on a VPS by digitalocean in Amsterdam 2​
 ​
 ​
I hope you guys love what i'm doing to bring hosting forward and i hope yo see your feedback.​
Matthew Morgan​
Is this currently hosted on free credits from DO?  Does the project have a life beyond that?  Will you be financing this personally?  

mtwiscool

Is this currently hosted on free credits from DO?  Does the project have a life beyond that?  Will you be financing this personally?  
I paid for the first month myself but have added a coupon and yes i will financing it myself.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
"After 25GB in any one month we will restrict the speed of you website to 28.8Kbps but we won't cut you off for bandwidth reasons."

Why 28.8Kbps!!

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
"After 25GB in any one month we will restrict the speed of you website to 28.8Kbps but we won't cut you off for bandwidth reasons."

Why 28.8Kbps!!
I don't see any problem with 28.8Kbps. That's 12 times faster than the first modem I used to access the Internet   :)

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
"Unlimited disk space is only available for website using php, html and other common web formats but you can not use an unfair amount of space compared to other users on the server.(above top 50% is not allowed)"

This has so many problems.  Essentially I think you're engaging in false advertising.  You want to say "unlimited" for marketing purposes but what you provide is very non-unlimited.

Specifically:

• Does "other common web formats" include pictures?  I'd hope at least css and js is allowed.
  • I guess "no media files" means no audio or video.  And also no jpg or png?  
  • If jpg is allowed, then I'll be happy to move my 20GB friends-and-family photo album to your server - no issue with that, right?
  • How on earth should I know what your top + 50% is?
I think you're being deceptive and dishonest.  It's one thing to say in policy that all files must be Internet-facing, you can't use it for backups, etc.  That's legit...but you are explicitly saying in your terms that it is not unlimited - it's only as big as your biggest user + 50% (I guess - your terms are vague).

You want to provide unlimited hosting...but you say in your policy you are not providing unlimited hosting, not by typical definition of unlimited hosting.

So, in a nutshell, you are engaging in false advertising.

mtwiscool

Unlimited is a marketing tarm and it is vary common in the hosting space but we are more up front in our tarms of service.

We do comply with UK law fully.

Now to move onto your points:

Does "other common web formats" include pictures?  I'd hope at least css and js is allowed?

css and js is fully allowed on our service.

I guess "no media files" means no audio or video.  And also no jpg or png?

Photos are allowed as long as you don't take the mick with them.

If jpg is allowed, then I'll be happy to move my 20GB friends-and-family photo album to your server - no issue with that, right? See our 50% policy that means you have to keep to an average witch changes with time and they will not be music of a public page.

How on earth should I know what your top + 50% is? an average users amount of usage.

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Unlimited is a marketing tarm and it is vary common in the hosting space but we are more up front in our tarms of service.

We do comply with UK law fully.

Now to move onto your points:

Does "other common web formats" include pictures?  I'd hope at least css and js is allowed?

css and js is fully allowed on our service.

If jpg is allowed, then I'll be happy to move my 20GB friends-and-family photo album to your server - no issue with that, right? See our 50% policy that means you have to keep to an average witch changes with time and they will not be music of a public page.

How on earth should I know what your top + 50% is? an average users amount of usage.
Nobody is perfect on spelling but, just a few..

Back onto what you just said, but how can anyone know the changing number of what the 50% value is, and also if someone was to move 20GB Photo Gallery, which technically is fully "legal" within your term's and conditions and you then cancelled them. What "excuse" would you give them?

I am all up for helping people with giving free hosting for people that can't afford a service, however your choosing to use a very cheap $5/VM which you know isn't going to cut it for long hence the extreme and slightly crazy term's and conditions.

Just my 2pence

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Quite aware, but you are explicitly saying it's not unlimited in your TOS. It's a "moving average".

It's very hard to understand you.

See our 50% policy that means you have to keep to an average witch changes with time and they will not be music of a public page.
What?

Well, duh, yes - but what is it? How would I know if I can use your service? What's the average right now?

I'm going to guess that no one has more than 500MB hosted with you. So your real limit is 750MB. But of course, it's more cool to say "unlimited" even though it's not honest.

mtwiscool

We do not say the target but we look at if a website is using resources effectively.

It is pretty much the same type of TOS as hostgator and ipage.

The word unlimited makes people want to join and is legal with a fair use policy.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
We do not say the target but we look at if a website is using resources effectively.
You say +50% over your top user, so apparently there is a hard target.

Though I guess two users could get together and ladder it up infinitely :)

It is pretty much the same type of TOS as hostgator and ipage.
Nope. Nothing about "top user + 50%" or nonsense like that.

Nothing about "compared to other users".

You are enforcing a limit that people have no way of seeing if they're near.

As an example, someone posted on WHT that they have > 1TB of files on a standard $7/month shared hosting account at Dreamhost. The DH rep even replied that it was fine because they offer unlimited disk. Can they put that on your server?

The word unlimited makes people want to join and is legal with a fair use policy.
The words "free lifetime supply of beer with all accounts" would make people want to join, too...

mtwiscool

It is cheaper to offer so called unlimited hosting.

How we limit things is complex but it would be most lickly cpu and ram get limited to the website becomes unusable.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
If you consider the fact that only .html, .css, .php files are allowed, it seems possible to offer "unlimited" hosting. Since no images are allowed, there is not really much you can do.

Limit one factor completely until its almost impossible to actually use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner