amuck-landowner

Monitors and RasPis

tragic

Verified Provider
"local backup node" = storing files locally. It doesn't mean uber fast, massively reliable, redundant storage array.

Come on people. It's a Pi for crying out loud.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything super fast. Just something to play around with locally.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You could backup to the Pi :)  Me I am just weary and have had too many issue with USB storage to revisit that again.

tragic

Verified Provider
Picked up a Pi at the local Microcenter and they're great. Thought about doing a little fun project for my car, running a dashcam with the Pi.

tragic

Verified Provider
How much is Microcenter selling them for?
Bought the 'starter kit' comes with model B Pi, charger, 8GB SD card, and case for $60. Little higher than internet pricing but didn't want to wait a couple days. They had all sorts of kits depending on your needs.

pcan

The commercial name of this technology is DisplayLink (I believe that the adapter you found is a unlicensed clone, therefore the trademark name has been removed from the sales literature). I had a similar device back when this standard came out in 2007, then I switched to a Thinkvision LT1421 USB monitor because it is powered by the USB port, and I can use it on the move. They both works well, it is even possible to watch low-res video on the USB monitor. The displaylink driver for Windows has no stability issues at all.

There is now a USB 3.0 DisplayLink chip with far better resolution and speed, but I haven't feel the need to upgrade. I also bought the displaylink app for iPad; it uses the ethernet variant of the DisplayLink protocol to convert the iPad as a secondary monitor for the PC; it is very handy sometimes.

I never tried to connect my displaylink monitor to the raspberry, but it seems to be fairly simple according to Google results (rebuild the kernel and enable DisplayLink support).

By the way, I am now testing the new Raspberry Pi B+; a very nice improvement over the original. It is also a good RDP thin client.

amuck-landowner