amuck-landowner

My Google Glass edition has arrived! (Pictures)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Glass seems cool, and I am sure there are useful apps that will be developed for it and it will be useful to it's users. Personally I am not a fan of the wearable computing craze that is happening today. There has to be a point where you say to yourself,  "do I really need all these devices?" For me, I noticed that the tablets that everyone wanted and needed, aren't used as much as I had imagined(our family has two and doesn't use them anymore). I almost feel that these glass type devices will go down the same path, with everyone wanting them at first cause they were the "end all be all" device, and then slowly fading into the distance. Plus, I would feel like a creep to have a computer on my face...people are already worried if your taking pics or vids of them, so I would rather avoid that whole situation.
I have a few tablets laying around that only get used like when I fly somewhere.

Thats really cool :p Expensive, but cool.
Worth every penny.

Awesome Chris, you can record your trip and review it later to see what your eyes have missed along the way. :)
Haha yeah you never know what you may have missed. :)

Looks cool I will wait for the price to go down a bit and the bugs to get worked out.
You might not have to wait much longer rumor has it that a consumer version might be out in the next few months. 

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Walked downtown today with my google glass took a few attempts but I got a pretty nice picture of the recently renovated Vogue Theatre.

20140111_195052_213.jpg

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Is that in downtown Manistee? I don't recall seeing that.

Yes it is, they just finished restoring it. When you were here all that was there was scuffling and tarps covering the building when they were restoring the outside of it. 

If what I learned in school is correct the Vogue theatre was the first movie theatre in the midwest to show movies in color. It's been around since the late 1800's I believe. 

George_Fusioned

Verified Provider
it's not permanent
I think this only applies to people who's myopia/presbyopia is changing over time.

I have -5.25 diopter vision for the past 15 years or so, no increase/decrease whatsoever, and I've been told that I'm probably not going to need to repeat the operation ever in the future.

Now if I have to repeat it after 15-20 years I still wouldn't really mind. Waking up in the morning, or showering and be able to SEE is far more exciting :D

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Yeah, if mine had lasted 15 (or hell, even 10) years I would've considered it a better investment.  But the initial screwup (and this from the most qualified doc in the area) took three visits.  And even after that, I needed glasses again after maybe a year and a half, tops.  I can see fine without them - but with a slight blur to everything - though I do need them for any extended comp work unless I want the monitor close to my face.

The oddest thing is my eyes seem to be much more light-sensitive.  And while being able to adjust to and see in low-light is pretty handy, having to work in an office with flourescent lighting is headache-inducing.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Any reason why you're not getting LASIK to get rid of the perception glasses?
I was thinking about LASIK but after an examination they said that it wouldn't be a good idea. Because with how bad my eyes are it would most likely require several visits throughout the years and possibly not be fully corrected at all. 

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
In less then 12 hours I will find out if I am able to get contacts or not. :)

I still need to go out shooting with them on.

johnlth93

I love them, I can't wait to try them when I get contacts though, it works with prescription glasses but I wouldn't recommend using it with them. 

I can view vpsboard with them. :)

J47PPYB.jpg

I am going to have to get an android phone to since I can't text on it using iOS.
This looks so damn awesome! I am going to get my hand on it if it EVER get to my country  ;)

Walked downtown today with my google glass took a few attempts but I got a pretty nice picture of the recently renovated Vogue Theatre.

20140111_195052_213.jpg
The photo is pretty clear though

Last edited by a moderator:

KMyers

This looks so damn awesome! I am going to get my hand on it if it EVER get to my country  ;)
As bad as it sounds, I would not expect to see this outside of the US any time soon. 

I will say that I am having a blast with Glass. 

DSC02998-MOTION.gif

amuck-landowner