amuck-landowner

Need Help with DNS

JudeZimZam

So, recently my site grew far past what I planned and I'm being requested to add more and more to the site. Shared hosting didn't provide the room or bandwidth i needed so I switch to a VPS to accommodate. The only issue I'm having is that I cannot get a DNS going to get this working. As far as I've read I just edit the named.conf and set up the zones and I'm good to go... Not the case; or so I assume. I can't get named to start to save my life. Maybe I'm missing something. If anyone can help please do. I've set up a dummy domain I got from freenom to test before transferring everything from the other site.

Jude

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 6.08.24 PM.png

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Find out where BIND logs to and post the error logs. On Ubuntu, BIND logs to /var/log/syslog - Google around if you're not sure of the log location on the distro you're using. Which distro are you using, BTW?

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Or rage4? Their DNS services have a free tier that your traffic might not exceed.

JudeZimZam

Find out where BIND logs to and post the error logs. On Ubuntu, BIND logs to /var/log/syslog - Google around if you're not sure of the log location on the distro you're using. Which distro are you using, BTW?
Okay I've attached what I believe is the issue take a look maybe you'll know how to fix this

Why not just go with managed DNS from someone like dnsmadeeasy.com?
Or rage4? Their DNS services have a free tier that your traffic might not exceed.
I'm not one for change. This one is pretty small and I like what they have to offer.

Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 8.56.46 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Clearly, bind does not have the permission to open the configuration files. If you created them as root, you should change the ownership to the BIND user.

amuck-landowner