amuck-landowner

Need your advice installing Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro

Amitz

Dear all,

I have an 'older' (3-4 years or so) Macbook Pro laying around here. It has an outdated OS X version on it and I thought about installing Ubuntu rather than updating to a newer OS X Version. I cannot do this install via a CD or DVD because the drive in the Macbook Pro is broken. So I will perform it via USB stick and already read some tutorials.

Just one question for the moment:

I guess I will choose the 64bit Version, but do you recommend 12.04 LTS or 13.04 for this task?

Anyone did the same? Very much looking forward to your hints and recommendations! :popcorn:

Kind regards

-A

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Unless you have stability issues, go with 13.04. Ubuntu 12.04 is more aimed at workstations and/or servers as the software is more stable, but typically out of date.

If I were you I would give 13.10 beta a try, it's stable enough to run regularly in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slownode

As long as you use the mac images I don't see there being an issue. Use 13.04, it's much more modern... 13.10 is coming soon too.

RaidLogic.NET

Verified Provider
Id recommend going with the 12.04 LTE.

I personally prefer CentOS for all my workstation but its a matter of personal choice. 

amuck-landowner