amuck-landowner

New SolusVM Beta Build Security Update Rev13 8/27/2013

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Yeah I wanted to use that ModulesGarden mod but it seemed like too much of a hassle.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
We're using the broken-ass ModulesGarden Solus module. It's very broken-ass, but one of the benefits over the Solus-provided module is that it has a mechanism for console access, which means we could continue to sell KVMs and people could set up their OS on them. The module doesn't show KVM ISOs, only KVM templates, so I have a KVM server sitting in San Diego with absolutely no clients on it because I can't provide them with a good interface to set up their shit. FML.
Well, for what it's worth Solus does provide KVM templates for free. There isn't Windows, but at least all linux sides are covered :)

http://tdn.solusvm.com

Some of them are broken and i've had to help a few people fix them but it's a good starting point.

Francisco

shovenose

Verified Provider
The ModulesGarden module gave me a ton of greif and they were useless at helping - but after I defined port number after IP and hostname in WHMCS server settings it suddenly started working.

Haven't found anything broken - it seems to work quite well. On the OpenVZ side of things, at least.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The ModulesGarden module gave me a ton of greif and they were useless at helping - but after I defined port number after IP and hostname in WHMCS server settings it suddenly started working.

Haven't found anything broken - it seems to work quite well. On the OpenVZ side of things, at least.
So have they released a new version since the last one?

They did a bug fix release but from what Damian was saying it was still quite broken.

Oh, and welcome back.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

shovenose

Verified Provider
So have they released a new version since the last one?

They did a bug fix release but from what Damian was saying it was still quite broken.

Oh, and welcome back.

Francisco
Thank you.

I am not sure if it is the "new" version but all I know is so far 0 obvious bugs, and me and a friend spent an entire day testing it. It's not the most beautiful thing in the world but it's really nice having it integrated into WHMCS.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Did they ever fix the awful username bit? It would generate at random (IE 827c5bd3a21c5c6) and would make a new username per VPS even if it's the same client :(

shovenose

Verified Provider
Did they ever fix the awful username bit? It would generate at random (IE 827c5bd3a21c5c6) and would make a new username per VPS even if it's the same client :(
Why does it matter? The client will never need to log in to SolusVM. If you want to know which customer a VPS belongs to you can just search it in WHMCS.

Another awesome feature is that if the customer changes the hostname of the VPS from WHMCS it also updates it in the services list for the customer. Previously, it would change it on the VPS and in SolusVM but not in WHMCS.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Why does it matter? The client will never need to log in to SolusVM. If you want to know which customer a VPS belongs to you can just search it in WHMCS.

Another awesome feature is that if the customer changes the hostname of the VPS from WHMCS it also updates it in the services list for the customer. Previously, it would change it on the VPS and in SolusVM but not in WHMCS.
There are plenty of reasons to keep things tidy, how about when you opt to give access back to SolusVM when you get sick and tired of manually doing rDNS or other basic features that the WHMCS module doesn't do without forking out more money for a separate, equally meh module.

shovenose

Verified Provider
There are plenty of reasons to keep things tidy, how about when you opt to give access back to SolusVM when you get sick and tired of manually doing rDNS or other basic features that the WHMCS module doesn't do without forking out more money for a separate, equally meh module.
Good point, but I don't think this is going to be a major problem. Customers still had to open a ticket for rDNS when we had SolusVM, because it's controlled by the datacenter, so I had to open a ticket with them every time too.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Good point, but I don't think this is going to be a major problem. Customers still had to open a ticket for rDNS when we had SolusVM, because it's controlled by the datacenter, so I had to open a ticket with them every time too.
Oh well yeah if you didn't get rDNS delegated from your provider then it's a moot point.

Jack

Most US providers will actually delegate small subnets for you.

amuck-landowner