amuck-landowner

Offers Section - Verified & Not

nunim

VPS Junkie
I have noticed the creation of the "non-verified" offers section, I don't understand this reasoning.  If you want to make the rule that you must be a verified business to post an offer I don't understand why are non-verified offers being public listed, especially while not-logged in/google searchable. I doubt that Dominic is incorporated, if you're going to make that rule I feel as though it should be stuck to and all offers that haven't been approved remain invisible.  

Does anyone else agree with me?  If we don't want non-businesses (i.e. kiddie hosts) listed, why should they be allowed to advertise for free on your/our board?

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriesN

Verified Provider
I have noticed the creation of the "non-verified" offers section, I don't understand this reasoning.  If you want to make the rule that you must be a verified business to post an offer I don't understand why are non-verified offers being public listed, especially while not-logged in/google searchable. I doubt that Dominic is incorporated, if you're going to make that rule I feel as though it should be stuck to and all offers that haven't been approved remain invisible.  

Does anyone else agree with me?  If we don't want non-businesses (i.e. kiddie hosts) listed, why should they be allowed to advertise for free on your/our board?
Lets give evreryone a chance. Verifed means trusted. If you are not verified or have other issue and think you deserve a posting, why not. 

Verified means an additional trust I guess?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Basically what SeriesN said.  Verified means they took the time to register their organization, have put a name and an address on their Whois, and are willing to actually link it to their name.  

This usually minimizes the risks associated with hosting with them because these individuals (usually) are in it for the long-run.  

Unverified just means they haven't taken the time or haven't done the registration or have satisfied any of the requirements we requested.  Usually this results in higher risks.  

Everyone is willing to post offers as they wish, but in the end it is the customer's decision to purchase it.  

I know I say this a ton, but seriously more people need to read up on it.  This is called Risk Management.  

jarland

The ocean is digital
It's a hard line to walk. I woke up this morning and saw people trashing a thread because the provider was unverified. In this case it's because sole proprietor is not as easily verified and quite frankly isn't a big deal to register...but it's up to an owner to decide where liability goes and writing a check doesn't mean you can run a server.

Nick cleaned up what I saw this morning. So +rep from me to him for that. But that line opens a lot of conversations. I think Curtis and the crew will be discussing this a lot over the next few days.

nunim

VPS Junkie
What is the "benefit" of being a verified provider then?  Having a shiny orange name?

For me at least, when I first signed up and saw that only real businesses would be offered I was very happy.  There's plenty of places kiddiehosts can advertise on the internet, why can't we make one place without them?

Kairus

What is the "benefit" of being a verified provider then?  Having a shiny orange name?

For me at least, when I first signed up and saw that only real businesses would be offered I was very happy.  There's plenty of places kiddiehosts can advertise on the internet, why can't we make one place without them?
Everyone has to start out somewhere. Not saying in reference to kiddyhosts, but just because someone isn't known in the community doesn't mean they shouldn't be ignored. I can certainly think of a few hosts that became really popular in the last year and prior to that it was like WHO ARE YOU? Now those providers are recognized and recommended.

SeriesN

Verified Provider

Well this is why, now you can lurk on the verified offer section and save your self from "kiddy hosts". Then again, one of the verified host here started this business by making drunk purchase :p. Not going to name him.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
What is the "benefit" of being a verified provider then?  Having a shiny orange name?   For me at least, when I first signed up and saw that only real businesses would be offered I was very happy.  There's plenty of places kiddiehosts can advertise on the internet, why can't we make one place without them?

Now you're just assuming that all non-verified hosts are kiddie hosts.  This is incorrect.  Similar to what Kairus just stated, it's just providers that we've seen become better known and have registered proof that they are a legal entity.  This just reduces the amount of risk.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Now you're just assuming that all non-verified hosts are kiddie hosts.  This is incorrect.  Similar to what Kairus just stated, it's just providers that we've seen become better known and have registered proof that they are a legal entity.  This just reduces the amount of risk.
And this should be posted in the FAQ with the other questions that already have been asked, like "who owns the site" and others.

The link ot the about/FAQ page should be on the frontpage, clearly visible.

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
I personally would like to see a place where verified providers can post. I do understand that some hosts need to start somewhere and need to become known in the market so I do see why there is a non-verified providers section.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I personally would like to see a place where verified providers can post. I do understand that some hosts need to start somewhere and need to become known in the market so I do see why there is a non-verified providers section.

Could you please clarify this?  As in where Verified Providers have a place to just talk?  (aka excluding just the offer forum?)

XFS_Brian

Verified Provider
Could you please clarify this?  As in where Verified Providers have a place to just talk?  (aka excluding just the offer forum?)
I have not seen any that do show if a member is a verified provider. VPSBoard is the only place that I know of, as of yet.

Edit: I mean posting as in posting offers.

bzImage

I don't understand why are non-verified offers being public listed
Troll fodder, basically. I understand giving everyone a chance, but honestly, what troll is going to look the other way at any chance to take a dump on any of these companies the second they fail to meet expectations? For the health of the forum they simply shouldn't be allowed. If you cannot step up and prove you're in the game to win, people will simply question if you're even trying to play the game at all.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Guess everyone disagrees with me, I liked the idea of only allowing businesses to post their offers.  Not that you couldn't forge some business documents and get verified..  I still don't understand why their able to be seen when not logged in, kinda defeats the purpose of being verified.  

I don't mean just kiddies hosts, even though the 2 non-verified offers are certainly kiddie hosts.

There's a million sites where you can advertise for free without verification, it's not like this is some huge forum, what's the problem with having standards?  

shovenose

Verified Provider
Guess everyone disagrees with me, I liked the idea of only allowing businesses to post their offers.  Not that you couldn't forge some business documents and get verified..  I still don't understand why their able to be seen when not logged in, kinda defeats the purpose of being verified.  

I don't mean just kiddies hosts, even though the 2 non-verified offers are certainly kiddie hosts.

There's a million sites where you can advertise for free without verification, it's not like this is some huge forum, what's the problem with having standards?  
Hello, we are not a kiddie host. We are simply waiting for the paperwork for our sole prop to get processed.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Hello, we are not a kiddie host. We are simply waiting for the paperwork for our sole prop to get processed.
I'll have to take your word for it, but by your demenor over at LET, I would have pegged you for a kiddie host.  Also - http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11678 lawlz

If the non-verified section is here to stay then, how about non-verified offers need at least 1 year in business?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Well, this is kinda why we do have two different sections.  Also, if required we do go as far as contacting that state's (if within the US) tax office in order to verify.  

Usually though, you can find it on that state's business registration database.  

I don't mean just kiddies hosts, even though the 2 non-verified offers are certainly kiddie hosts.   There's a million sites where you can advertise for free without verification, it's not like this is some huge forum, what's the problem with having standards?  

I mean that is reasonable.  Although I'd prefer to keep it as it is right now (having verified and non-verified separate).  I'll let MannDude look over this then.  

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of having a sub-forum for non-verified hosts, would rather simply have a single forum for VPS offers and a single forum for 'Other Offers' (though with sub forums for specific other offers such as Domains, Hardware, Shared/Reseller hosting, Dedicated Servers, Employment)

Then we could just add a [Verified] tag to the title of the offer. For example, "[VERIFIED] 123ABC-HOST 512MB Xen VPSes for just $X/mo!" (or something similar. I mean, the threads are already moderated before they go live. This way we can check to see if you posted an offer 3 days ago, which is against the rules, or make sure the required info is included in the posting that everyone asks for (Test IPs, where your servers locations, speed test, etc). So if you're on the verified list we can toss that tag up there.

Anyhow, feel free to make any suggestions in the link in my signature. This place is for you guys so I want to ensure that we do right by all of you.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of having a sub-forum for non-verified hosts, would rather simply have a single forum for VPS offers and a single forum for 'Other Offers' (though with sub forums for specific other offers such as Domains, Hardware, Shared/Reseller hosting, Dedicated Servers, Employment)

Then we could just add a [Verified] tag to the title of the offer. For example, "[VERIFIED] 123ABC-HOST 512MB Xen VPSes for just $X/mo!" (or something similar. I mean, the threads are already moderated before they go live. This way we can check to see if you posted an offer 3 days ago, which is against the rules, or make sure the required info is included in the posting that everyone asks for (Test IPs, where your servers locations, speed test, etc). So if you're on the verified list we can toss that tag up there.

Anyhow, feel free to make any suggestions in the link in my signature. This place is for you guys so I want to ensure that we do right by all of you.
I like that idea... perhaps a unique tag for verified providers.

amuck-landowner