amuck-landowner

Online.net: RIP Dedibox SC ! (Fin du support Q3-2016)

fm7

Online.net - Arnaud ‏@online_fr 1 hour ago

Après 6 ans de bons et loyaux services, la Dedibox SC (et variantes) tire sa révérence. RIP Dedibox SC ! (Fin du support Q3-2016)

Translated from French by Bing

After 6 years of good and loyal service, Dedibox SC (and variants) bowed. RIP Dedibox SC! (End of Q3-2016 support.)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Which one was the Dedibox SC?  

I never used Online so I don't know. 

The old one was a 5.99 euro VIA Nano U2250 w/ 2GB RAM and a 500GB HDD (or 160GB HDD if you have a 1.99  euro "Kidichere" version)

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Ahhh.  

So nothing important was lost. Those VIA Nano U2250s were pretty cool for novelty reasons, but were pretty impractical for most uses that couldn't be solved with a cheaper VPS. 

fm7

Ahhh.  

So nothing important was lost. Those VIA Nano U2250s were pretty cool for novelty reasons, but were pretty impractical for most uses that couldn't be solved with a cheaper VPS. 

cheap VPS <> cheap dedicated :)

fm7

Dedibox SC (et variantes)

Dedibox kidéchire (2€/month)

• Release date: 2014

• Model: DELL® XS11-VX8

• CPU: VIA® Nano® U2250 1.6 GHz, x64, VT

• RAM: 2GB DDR-2

• Hard disk: 160GB HDD

• Equipment Supervision: IPMI 2.0

• Connectivity: 1 Gbit/sec

• Guaranteed Internet bandwidth: 100 Mbit/s

• Datacenter: Datacenter DC3

• Price: €1.99/month

Dell's XS11-VX8, known as Fortuna, features twelve hot-swappable hard disks in the front, and twelve hot-swappable servers in the back, fitting into a 2U bay with room left for a redundant power supply.  Each server module features a VIA Nano processor, an SO-DIMM slot for what is almost definitely DDR2, and two GigE ports, and that's about it. 

dedibox-sc-comparaison-disque.jpg

Fortuna%202.jpg

dedibox-sc-couloir.jpg

dedibox-sc-baies.jpg

willie

Does that mean they're pulling the existing SC's from service, or just stopping selling new ones?  Will they make some kind of transition offer to SC users?  I think the Scaleway C1 is more attractive in most ways than the Via Nano SC anyway.

Reactions: fm7

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
New launch is why they are yanking these no doubt about it.  Better money on the new stuff, likely better density too.  Probably shaving power down also.

Never got to play with one of these.  Via made neato kit back when we were far lesser clock speeds but fell super far behind and well, only thing interesting in this is the price point and it being dedicated.

Hopefully VIA gets into ARM stuff... They always struck me as more suitable for that side of the fence.

fm7

Microlinux ‏@microlinux_eu

@online_fr J'ai deux Dedibox SC chez vous. Je dois me faire des soucis ?

@online_fr I have two Dedibox SC you. I do me the worries?

Online.net - Arnaud ‏@online_fr

@microlinux_eu Non smile.png

Laurent Rathle ‏@LaurentBechir

@online_fr Fin de support = migration obligatoire avec les frais à payer ?

@online_fr Em = mandatory migration with fees?

Online.net - Arnaud ‏@online_fr

@LaurentBechir nonnn

fm7

I think the Scaleway C1 is more attractive in most ways than the Via Nano SC anyway.

Actually depends on the application you want to run.

Dedibox SC uses 64-bit VIA Nano processor U2250 (x86-64) while C1 uses 32-bit ARMv7 Processor rev 2 -- and many applications don't run on ARM and/or 32-bit processors..

E.g. Someone (myself) could think would be great to use Scaleway's multiple disks/volumes to deploy/test/learn Debian ZFS BUT ...

1, Debian ZFS was ported only to x86-64 64-bit (aka AMD64) -- it doesn't run in C1.

2. Scaleway's C2 is a very nice x86_64 offering.  One caveat of their service is that they inject their own kernel whilst the machine boots. This means that obtaining the Linux kernel headers to compile ZFS (and a lot of other software) ... can be a "bit" "tricky".

PS: BTW there is a shortage of C1 servers. Chances are your request to allocate a C1 will fail a couple of times before grabbing one.:) Anyway, IMO their VPS is better value than C1 if you don't want to attach multiple volumes.

Nyr

End of support could/should mean that not even hard disks are replaced.

If so, I guess this means no more kidéchire for us :(

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Ahhh.  

The U2250's were good little utility boxes for light tasks: DNS, monitoring, VPN, light development and testing.  (and they would probably be adequate for hosting the average website of all those WHT members who lose thousands of dollars every time their $10 annual VPS that they've never backed up is down for a few minutes)

re: cheaper VPS: both of mine are the 1.99 Kidichere version (160GB disk/2GB RAM), the only down time in the past 1 1/2 years was for kernel reboots (and an OS switch on one of them), both are running FreeBSD.  I can't think of any cheaper VPS (from reliable companies) that will run FreeBSD and offers comparable resources.

The new SC (Avoton C2350) is nicely priced but both Kimsufi (Atom N2800) and ServDiscount (AMD N40L) offer similar 4GB RAM/500GB disk dedicateds in Europe for around $10 (depending on exchange rates.)  Kimsufi offers a 1TB disk with its $10 server but only a 100 Mbps port and the N2800's CPU is weaker than the competition. (UnixBench: ServDisc N40L 1264, Online C2350 975, Kimsufi N2800 790, Online U2250 452; Passmark: N40L 916, C2350 898, N2800 633, U2250 377).  Online hasn't added a FreeBSD template for the C2350 yet...

End of support could/should mean that not even hard disks are replaced.

...and many of those disks are the originals from 6 years ago:

Power On Hours    51192

Power On Hours 49728

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The U2250's were good little utility boxes for light tasks: DNS, monitoring, VPN, light development and testing.  (and they would probably be adequate for hosting the average website of all those WHT members who lose thousands of dollars every time their $10 annual VPS that they've never backed up is down for a few minutes)

I love this.  Every fail equals that guy with the million dollar biz and zero redundancy and zero backups.

re: cheaper VPS: both of mine are the 1.99 Kidichere version (160GB disk/2GB RAM),

Not a bad spec for $1.99 :)  Indeed suitable for most users.  Reminds me of the ARM stuff around.

...and many of those disks are the originals from 6 years ago:

Power On Hours    51192

Power On Hours 49728

Incredible those are still going.

fm7

The new SC (Avoton C2350) is nicely priced but both Kimsufi (Atom N2800) and ServDiscount (AMD N40L) ...

IMO you can't compare nominal prices because Scaleway's data center (Iliad DC-3) is not comparable to the others two.

Nyr

Yeah, a VPS can be a substitute for many tasks, but there are zero reliable providers which will offer 160GB of HDD storage AND 100 mbps of unmetered bandwidth (with burst to nearly a gigabit) for 2€/month.

Many of us are torrenting from those little dedis and can't migrate to a VPS obviously. There is no gigabit, sub-$10 dedi in Central Europe which can compete with this ridiculously priced dedi.

VPS are good for many things, but certainly not for having a dedicated HDD which you can trash freely ;)

fm7

I have 9 Dedibox kidéchire

HD power on hours (as August 11, 2014)

March 20, 2016: 587 days (+14,000 hours)

100% uptime

Nyr

New Dedibox SC-2016  Avoton C2350 2C/2T, 4GB, HDD 500GB or SSD 120GB, intf 2.5Gbits  9€ Online.net DC-2 (2N) http://bit.ly/1UCSpEh

From other ISPs, I meant. Anyway it's $10, which is a bit much for me to pay just to seed torrents. I would likely get some 5€ dedi with 100 mbps if there wasn't other alternative.

I also forgot: for 2€ you also get some DDoS protection! Which is not great, but certainly better than a nullroute or even getting kicked from the network :)

willie

Nyr, if you don't need much storage, you can seed from a Scaleway.

FM7, that's interesting, it hadn't occurred to me that the Scaleway DC might have different connectivity than the other online.net DC's.  Scaleway is the only one I've used, and so far only lightly.  I'm mostly in it for cpu rather than network.

amuck-landowner