amuck-landowner

PayPal Mistakenly Credits Delaware Man’s Account with $92 Quadrillion Dollars

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I'm sure it was quickly resolved, but couldn't he have at least pulled a million or two out to a bank account? Very curious how the exact sequence of events went down.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
$92,000,000,000,000,000,000

I had to look up how many zeroes that'd be.

Imagine your heart almost exploding when logging into your paypal account and seeing that number... Withdrawal to bank account immediately...

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'm pretty sure even if he tried to pull out a million or two it'd get caught up.  I mean it takes a few days (from my understanding) for Paypal funds to be transferred to bank accounts and even then it goes through scrutiny.  

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm just really curious how it happened. I mean, why the number, "$92,233,720,368,547,800", because certainly thats much much more than the total amount of money stored in PayPal. How did the glitch burp out that number? We'll probably never know.

Epidrive

Verified Provider
The CEO might have fallen asleep in front of the computer > accidentally banged his head to the keyboard which generated that amount of money > and then bam, the lucky "enter" was aswell accidentally hit.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
The CEO might have fallen asleep in front of the computer > accidentally banged his head to the keyboard which generated that amount of money > and then bam, the lucky "enter" was aswell accidentally hit.
Movie idea! The opening scene starts with a generic "new e-mail" sound. The scene fades in to a desk with a nameplate showing that this is the CEO of PayPal. He wakes up when he hears the new e-mail sound, and sees what he's done. First line out of his mouth: "ShitShitShitShit!!!!"

Next scene starts similarly, but it's Average Joe User from Delaware checking his new e-mail and seeing the transfer notice. He withdraws it immediately and the rest of the movie is him on yachts with strippers. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
 He withdraws it immediately and the rest of the movie is him on yachts with strippers. :p
You could build a yacht out of  strippers for that amount. The ugly ones go at the bottom of the yacht, where they will drown but remain buoyant. Then you sail to your private island made of brand new MRI machines that you just dump in the ocean (because MRI machines are expensive) and chill.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epidrive

Verified Provider
And @manndude i just found the answer for ya. It was said to be a programming error on Paypal's end. The max value of a signed 64 bit integer is 9.223372036854776e18.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
You know what? Forget the private island and the strippers, I'd just buy out the world. The GWP (gross world product) is only in the trillions. I'd take a couple for that price :)

amuck-landowner