amuck-landowner

phpMyAdmin vs Adminer?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Because managing databases via CLI can sometimes be a pain in the ass, at least for some of us (raises hand), what do you prefer to use and why?

sleddog

I always used phpMyAdmin and have just recently switched to adminer. It seems much lighter (in terms of server impact) and I prefer the simpler, uncluttered interface. So far quite happy with it :)

bizzard

I am a phpMyAdmin user for a long time. Actually I started playing with databases using it. Started using adminer on servers where phpMyAdmin was not installed almost an year ago and I am happy with it. For development environment, I have both, as phpMyAdmin can be handy in editing single fields. On servers I mostly run sql queries or check the table structure or even take a dump, for which adminer is more than enough.

Licensecart

I've always used PhpMyAdmin simply because it's easy to use and looks nice. Adminer just checked the website out and the design is basic, but if it had a nice UI would be a good competitor the only good thing so far is it's just one file. But yeah PhpMyAdmin gets my vote.

AuroraZero

I have started using Adminer more and more. I believe it gives more control to you. Sometimes PhPMyAdmin will not do the job I ask it do. If a server does not have Adminer I install it and use it instead. Seems like it can recover some things that PhPMyAdmin can not as well, at least from my tests with it, it was able.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
To be honest I hadn't heard of Adminer until this thread, just checked them out and it looks quite displeasing to the eye... I know I know, looks != quality, but still...

And to answer the question, I've always found phpMyAdmin to do everything I ever needed from a mysql interface, never actually felt the need to look for something else or something different.

RLT

Been using Adminer most of the time lately. Just seems quicker to me especially on the weaker servers.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I always found dealing with "managers" to be more of a PITA than good ol' mysql-client, honestly.  Never did understand the appeal of wading through GUI options and menus to run a two-line command.

But since we are discussing managers - no love for Navicat/etc?  There's a handful of pretty decent 'local' mySQL management tools that simply connect to the remote DB in question.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Because managing databases via CLI can sometimes be a pain in the ass

Adding a piece of software with one of the worst security track records in recorded history to your system seems like it could potentially be a bigger pain in the ass than using CLI.  154 security bulletins, an average of 11 per year over the past 14 years for phpMyAdmin.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-784/Phpmyadmin.html

If I used a GUI tool I'd pick AdMiner over phpMYAdmin on the basis of its better security track record over the years.

Quote said:
But since we are discussing managers - no love for Navicat/etc?  There's a handful of pretty decent 'local' mySQL management tools that simply connect to the remote DB in question.
 MySQL Workbench Community Edition is another alternative...and it's free. Linux/Mac/Windows versions.

DBeaver is another database management tool: free, multiplatform, and supports just about every database around:

Quote said:
Supported (tested) relational databases:
MySQL
Oracle
PostgreSQL
IBM DB2
Microsoft SQL Server
Sybase
ODBC
Java DB (Derby)
Firebird (Interbase)
HSQLDB
SQLite
Mimer
H2
IBM Informix
SAP MAX DB
Cache
Ingres
Linter
Teradata
Vertica
Any JDBC compliant data source

Supported NoSQL databases:
MongoDB
Cassandra

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
its hard to argue the history of security disasters that phpmyadmin has presented for years - but its simplicity has made it a front runner for so long.

ModyDev

I only use phpmyadmin for taking backups but after taking a look at adminer and using it i changed my mind becuase it is very small single php file.

terrahost

Wow, never heard of Adminer. Tested it a few minutes and I'm beginning to like it.:) Thanks!

Way faster than phpMyAdmin which has really been bugging me. 

sv01

Slow but sure
I use both, but I prefer phpMyAdmin. add FK on adminer not as easy as on PMA, not to mention Operations tab on PMA

jure

I used PMA until I met Adminer. It's light and simple. I confess that ever more manage my database via CLI.

Gang Starr

If you need a on server solution I'd use phpMyAdmin - simply the best. Otherwise if you have remote connection enabled I'd use HeidiSQL. Works great and quite handy.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Can't wait for the new version of SQLBuddy to get released, I love it. :)

amuck-landowner