amuck-landowner

Poor experience with ServerHub

Virtovo

Verified Provider
This isn't a name and shame as I have no interest in calling out any providers on their service until I've checked that I am not being unreasonable. It's very easy when you know your own timelines to forget other peoples. I am however looking for some advice if I am being taken for a ride here:  

Opened a sales enquiry with ServerHub on December 20th regarding a server. During the sales chat had asked which RAID card would be delivered with the server as was told the company used LSI 9261s.  

Was told on the 23rd with regards to delivery that "Typically with custom configuration it takes 2 to 3 business days.".  

Payment was made on December 24th for the server.  

Opened a ticket on the 27th to add a few notes to the order regarding OS installation as OS installation was selected during the order. Was told that the server was still a few days away.

Opened a ticket on the 31st to ask for an expected turn up date on the server as wanted to allocate some time setting it up. I made it clear I understood it was the holidays so slippages in delivery could occur. Was told the parts were due in on the day and the server would be delivered either that day or the next.  

The server was delivered two days later on the 2nd without an OS installed. Upon inspecting the configuration it was noted the server had a re-flashed IBM M5014 which differs in specs to the 9261 (half the cache). I opened a ticket on the 3rd informing that this was the case. Was told that they get these cards in bulk and it was the first card they pulled; however they could get the correct card installed.  

I confirmed I was happy for the card to be replaced as the server was not yet usable as they had not allocated an IP range to the server that was requested during the order process. The ticket was updated a few hours later to say that the RAID card was not in stock and they would have to order it in. I was informed they could increase the bandwidth allocation and offer a credit on my next bill if I took the server as is.  

I informed them that I would take the current RAID card as I was not really prepared to wait as the server setup had already extended past the time I anticipated.

Two later the IP ranges were routed to the server (4th Jan) so I started to set it up. Upon configuring the server I performed a number of post config checks and benchmarks to ensure everything was in order. I noticed that sequential writes were about half of what they should have been for the setup ordered.  

I then tried a few various things:  

Configuring my own RAID array (as it had been delivered with RAID 10 configured on the card) Checking the BBU was present, healthy and not on a learning cycle Adjusting write-back to write-through and making other changes in terms of block size and FS alignment.  

All results led to the same poor sequential write performance.  

Opened a ticket on the same day (4th Jan) informing of the poor write performance. Support asked me for expected write speeds. I agreed to re-check configurations via IPMI however in doing so the server became stuck at the RAID BIOS. Upon rebooting the server the IPMI then decided to lock out and I did not have permission to reset the IKVM unit under my user so informed them via ticket. I said I believed the RAID card to be faulty and would leave the server for them to diagnose and would like them to install the originally specified RAID card as I suspected the current card to be faulty.  

They replied the same day (4th Jan) that they would look into it.  

I replied on the ticket two days later (6th Jan) Asking where I stood with this as there had been no reply.  

I received a reply asking if I could chat via Skype. I spoke with them via Skype and they agreed to order the requested RAID card and it would be arriving in a few days. They added this note to the ticket itself.  

I opened a ticket on the 9th to check if the card had been delivered to which there was no reply.  

24 hours later (today) I added to the ticket again asking for an update. We are now approaching 8 hours past that point (during their normal business hours) and still no reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

dcdan

Verified Provider
I would not continue doing business with them, but that's me. But... imagine RAID card failing later on when you are in production, would you be willing to wait for weeks for a replacement card?

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Thanks for the opinions.  It pretty much confirms what I was thinking.  Not going to name the company as I am still in discussions with them (albeit very one sided at the moment, no reply in 48 hours).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Regardless of who the company is, whether their reputation is good or bad... dump them. Take your business to one of the countless of other providers. You have many options. Request a refund, and if the request is not met in a timely manner... then do what you need to do to ensure your money is rightfully returned to you.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Thanks for all the feedback.  I've now formally requested a refund.  We'll see how that plays out.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Well it seems like another day will tick by with no response.  Looks like I'll be heading to a Paypal claim/chargeback.  It's a shame it had to come to this.  

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well it seems like another day will tick by with no response.  Looks like I'll be heading to a Paypal claim/chargeback.  It's a shame it had to come to this.  
I wasn't going to push this before, but at this point I am very curious who the provider is so this thread can serve as a potential warning to those who may wish to order from them in the future. Everything you have mentioned is horrible and not a indicator of a stable business at all.

Please update us.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I wasn't going to push this before, but at this point I am very curious who the provider is so this thread can serve as a potential warning to those who may wish to order from them in the future. Everything you have mentioned is horrible and not a indicator of a stable business at all.

Please update us.
The company is Serverhub.  I didn't want to publicly call them out as they appeared to be working with me to resolve the issues; however I've now been ignored since Thursday.  Combined with the earlier delivery problems it doesn't leave a lot of confidence for what these guys will be like in production.  Even if we discount the 24 hour 365 day support they boast on their website this is still pretty poor.

Not that it matters; however the server in question is $440/mo

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
$440 a month?!?!?

What exactly were you ordering?  Hefty monthly there and not a billable amount where you wait multiple days in silence.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
$440 a month?!?!?

What exactly were you ordering?  Hefty monthly there and not a billable amount where you wait multiple days in silence.
Dual E5, 8 Disks.  I've reached out to Paypal to help me make contact with the company.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This was a standard order thing with Serverhub?  Not special order or anything?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
They called it a custom configuration; however stated a 2-3 business day delivery.  They advertise Dual E5s on WHT.
Hmm. It's likely that may not have had available stock and a delay was caused by needing to order additional parts, this isn't super uncommon for things like that I s'pose, but you'd still imagine they would have contacted you and kept you in the loop.

Wonder what happened.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Hmm. It's likely that may not have had available stock and a delay was caused by needing to order additional parts, this isn't super uncommon for things like that I s'pose, but you'd still imagine they would have contacted you and kept you in the loop.

Wonder what happened.
Until Thursday of last week I was working with them on the very same basis (which is why I didn't want to name them as they seemed to be working with me).  Since then I have had no reply whatsoever.  I'm not sure if they are a bad company or not as I've not had experience with them for long enough; however my current experience is poor.  At this stage I'd be hesitant to go into production with them now anyways; imagine being ignored for five days on a ticket when your server is down (I understand billing takes lower priority and is usually Mon-Fri at most hosting companies).  I wish they had a Telephone number so I could just call them to get this all straightened out.

trewq

Verified Provider
I had a service with serverhub for Versatile IT when I used to own it. I have one comment on them. DON'T.

They will mess you around for ages and the problems, network and hardware, just don't stop.

I'll pm you the email address for one of the higher ups. I normally got everything fixed within a day of contacting him.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
I had a service with serverhub for Versatile IT when I used to own it. I have one comment on them. DON'T.

They will mess you around for ages and the problems, network and hardware, just don't stop.

I'll pm you the email address for one of the higher ups. I normally got everything fixed within a day of contacting him.
Thanks, email sent.  It's not too long now until the close of business in Phoenix so looks to be another day with no reply.  Either everyone there has vanished or I'm being ignored intentionally.  Either way it's not a nice feeling.  

BBGN-Doug

Verified Provider
I'm just surprised by the lack of communication.  Even if they were out of stock they should have been honest so if the client needed to move on they could have or at least planned accordingly.  

Wow, I'm surprised ServerHub's that bad, as their emails sound pretty professional.

Glad to know beforehand that I should stay far away from the place.

amuck-landowner