amuck-landowner

Private Netflix-like clone in Flask

fisle

Hey everyone! I figured that if I never release my code to public, I'm never going to improve. I realize my code is amateurish at best and is full of bad practises. Please help me improve by giving constructive criticism.

I have written a small Netflix-like HTML5 video gallery in Flask, Python as a learning process for me. I've been learning Flask for like two months now, as a hobby. It's intended usage is well.. sharing your bought movies in LAN for your family, duh.

I have uploaded it to vpsBoard git: http://git.vpsboard.com/fisle/netflask

Features:

- Authentication

- Automatic scanning and encoding of video files (Set up a cronjob)

- Subtitle support

- Fetching movie data from RottenTomatoes (Requires free API key)

- Uses X-Accel-Redirect to serve files securely (Need HTTP daemon for this, I used Nginx)

By default it does not support Firefox for Linux, but you can enable encoding to webm in sources.

I have included some screenshots for you:

Home screen.

New movie found!

Select movie from list to add its data

I have released this under WTFPL, so fork it and do something with it :)

Set up instructions are in Git, feel free to ask if(when) you run into issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Nice project, could be something i stead of running a plex server at home.

fisle

Nice project, could be something i stead of running a plex server at home.

Yup, I was looking at options to have movies streamed in LAN/WAN, Plex was one of the options but I decided I wanted clientless model :)

Hugohp

Excellent project, I have something similar but in PHP and without video encoding. Have you considered OpenSubtitles API for Automatic subtitle downloads?. If not, Look at it =)

Hugo

Last edited by a moderator:

fisle

Excellent project, I have something similar but in PHP and without video encoding. Have you considered OpenSubtitles API for Automatic subtitle downloads?. If not, Look at it =)

Hugo

This sounds very good. I will definitely take a look at it - Thanks!

fisle

Automatic subtitle downloading is now somewhat implemented. Also fixed issue with scan.py not encoding things properly.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Echelon

Verified Provider
Could use a tad bit of polishing interface-wise, but definitely a start and something to work with for anybody who wants to continue running with it.

fisle

Could use a tad bit of polishing interface-wise, but definitely a start and something to work with for anybody who wants to continue running with it.

Yeah, interface designing is obviously not my strong area :)

However, Jinja2 templates are easy to play with. I'm providing the basic skeleton upon which you can build the muscles ;)

fisle

Couple of updates:

• Simple search by tags
  • User roles (Admin, moderator, normal user)
  • A bit colors on layout :)
  • Sorting by name/rating
  • Password change function

mikho

I've been working on the house whole year and only have laptops running (server in the garage, turned off).

When I get it back online in February(?), I'll give it a test run.

joepie91

Hmm, looks like the screenshot links in the original post are gone? Can you reupload them on imgur or something?

TheLinuxBug

Finally got around to playing with this.  So far it works pretty good, @fisle had to help me a little bit and we modified it to work with shows instead of movies (otherwise is will insist you look up the video in the movie DB).  Hopefully down the line this option will be included so you can choose without changing the code. Even though this is a young platform it works pretty efficiently, look forward to seeing more development.

Anyhow, thanks again for this @fisle !

Cheers!

mikho

Never got around to test it yet, what about TV-Series, does every episode end up as "a movie" or can/are they grouped together?

amuck-landowner