amuck-landowner

Proxmox

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Proxmox works great for kvm and openvz they have the openvswitch added in the latest version so you can setup your networking and manage it. The client interface is the same as the admin but you have to set roles and permissions. Much less overhead than hyper-V and much easier to manage for configuration of vms then some of the others. We have been playing around with juju and openstack deployments recently.

bizzard

Using Proxmox for a while. For managing VM's its a great tool.

Not sure how people using SolusVM and similar web interfaces will feel, but I am pretty comfortable with it.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I quite like proxmox, sometimes I have experienced issues with the JavaScript not loading correctly but I understand that bug is fixed upstream now. Sadly it lacks proper IPv6 support (unless its been added recently), although its entirely possible to set it up manually. I hope IPv6 support comes soon :)

blergh

Verified Provider
I quite like proxmox, sometimes I have experienced issues with the JavaScript not loading correctly but I understand that bug is fixed upstream now. Sadly it lacks proper IPv6 support (unless its been added recently), although its entirely possible to set it up manually. I hope IPv6 support comes soon :)
It does have some level of ipv6-support, so not sure what you're on to.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Atleast in the past (its been atleast 6mo since I last played with proxmox) IPV6 addresses had to be manually added with vzctl the web interface did not accept them. Furthermore adding/removing an IPv4 would remove the IPv6 address.

That combined with lack of automation of the setup is what I was referring to.

earl

Atleast in the past (its been atleast 6mo since I last played with proxmox) IPV6 addresses had to be manually added with vzctl the web interface did not accept them. Furthermore adding/removing an IPv4 would remove the IPv6 address.

That combined with lack of automation of the setup is what I was referring to.
The only thing you need to do with v6 for OVZ is you need to manually add the V6 DNS for each new CT you create..The global DNS setting still does not seem to recognize ipv6 yet.. for KVM should work independently..

Also if you have trouble with Java loading you can try adding the proxmox ip to the "configure java" menu should be something there about edit site..

Bstephe

Proxmox is awesome. We use it to virtualize our servers and works well. It works most effectively on linux IMO tho. KVM is also supported. Just my two cents. :)

hibernate

It depends on what kind of virtualization you would use as Proxmox supports either KVM and OpenVZ.

My experience using Proxmox in commercial project is positive. We bought dedicated server, set up Proxmox 3 there and put all application components into different OpenVZ containers - Tomcat, PostgreSQL, Couchbase. It is still running smoothly serving loaded social game where all of these usually demanded servers living nicely under it, we have never had a crash or outage on average hardware (Core i7 3770) . 

What I like there - you can quickly set up internal private networking between containers and establish fast communication between them.

The only issue I found there is configuring it to be in a cluster. I spent a week to set Proxmox HA cluster but eventually gave up.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
It depends on what kind of virtualization you would use as Proxmox supports either KVM and OpenVZ.

My experience using Proxmox in commercial project is positive. We bought dedicated server, set up Proxmox 3 there and put all application components into different OpenVZ containers - Tomcat, PostgreSQL, Couchbase. It is still running smoothly serving loaded social game where all of these usually demanded servers living nicely under it, we have never had a crash or outage on average hardware (Core i7 3770) . 

What I like there - you can quickly set up internal private networking between containers and establish fast communication between them.

The only issue I found there is configuring it to be in a cluster. I spent a week to set Proxmox HA cluster but eventually gave up.
Yeah if I recall Proxmox's HA availability requires some specific design specs and needs a ton of tinkering with. I know when I originally tried setting up Proxmox in HA cluster mode it required some specific configurations I didn't have available at the time (probably because it was two dedis from WSI).

hibernate

Well according to docs and available manual that seems to be straightforward - start these and those, set firewall - but at some point during nodes communication phase responsible service hangs up and breaks whole node setup. Logs are useless. Hope next versions will simplify/fix that.

So basically I like how Proxmox team managed everything under Debian even I am CentOS guy.

I had an experience setting OpenVZ/KVM myself on CentOS however I had non stable operation, a lot of Kernel crashes on CentOS 6.x on few machines. 

I incline to think that's more hardware related but next time considering going Debian+Proxmox or some other solution I would prefer Proxmox one.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner