amuck-landowner

Q3 2014 Lowend Provider Results

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This is, however, the last poll as we know it now. because none of you bastards voted for Team Daycare It has commercialized into another ad spot for providers and that’s not what the poll is for.
It makes sense.

The reason it suddenly became commercialized is because people found out that pleading/begging for votes on twitter didn't break rules and is why many people placed as high as they did. Suddenly mpkossen is having to spend a lot of time doing checks on all signups to remove votes that he felt were possibly shills.

There was many votes where twitter begging/plugging was going on but it was seen as taboo/done only by a few. Suddenly it hit public light, LE admins had to cast their yay/nay to it, and now you have where the vote is today.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well yeah to all that @Francisco. Certainly more to learn in the underlying or under-LYING data as always.

Figure they were tired of the pre-release results and general mockumentation of the whole thing.

Then of course you have stuff like this for the literates, databugs, auditors, etc:

Top 3 LET winner point scores combined for each voting period:

2013Q4 = 460 points

2014Q1 = 496 points

2014Q2 = 355 points

2014Q3 = 314 points

^---- See the decline in the Top 3 combined points total?

Someone might say that's better for more diverse voting audience, other companies - more of them receiving votes ...meh...

Without bickering about my counting vs. Kossen's let's look at distinct companies where vote was cast each voting period I've been tracking:

2013Q4 = 88 providers had vote cast for

2014Q1 = 83 providers "

2014Q2 = 77 providers "

2014Q3 = 76 providers "

^--- four voting cycles and down each and every time.  So much for the diversity of voting, false.

And the total vote points given as I calculated them for each voting period:

2013Q4 = 1090

2014Q1 = 1207

2014Q2 = 852

2014Q3 = 877

Seeing a pattern?????

Top 3 as ESTIMATED point recipient percentage:

(these are estimated as using published result total for top 3 points combined divided by my running total of total points for each contest)

2013Q4 = 57.8%

2014Q1 = 58.9%

2014Q2 = 58.3%

2014Q3 = 64.2%

So what did we learn?  

1. 4 periods of voting and diversity in providers voted for slumped every period from high of 88 to 76.

2. Three out of four voting cycles the votes received by the top 3 point wise grew in percentage of the total votes.  Meaning more of the vote points went to the top three each cycle.  

3. Fairly steady 58%+ of the points each voting period went to the Top 3. Latest Q32014 period is a deviation and we'll leave it at that until I audit my inputted vote data.

souen

I haven't been around long and can't comment on what it was like before 2014Q2, but seeing the results the first time, my impression was that the poll isn't about diversity but more a zeitgeist of whichever providers happen to be the most active on the forum and with the most competitive pricing/services. With 1-2 exceptions, the top 10 are mostly providers with US locations (even though there are members/providers from around the world?), plans in US locations are relatively lower cost and thereby popular with the crowd. For EU location, it's often NL.

Currently, of the latest 10 offers on LEB (excluding the poll result announcement offers), 8 are for US locations, 1 in UK and 1 in CA. Recurring offers from the providers over time on LET (combined with the concerns over some hosts being DDoSed whenever they post an offer leading to some re-considering advertising there) probably reinforce the cycle.

That's not to discredit the top 10 of course, they're solid choices for most people's needs. However, there are other good providers that offer value-added features or less common locations (these may be higher-priced plans due to b/w costs, etc.) but don't necessarily run monthly/bi-monthly specials on the forum, who may receive fewer votes as a result.

So, practically speaking, the poll isn't very helpful for me but I vote anyway as a fun thing to do and to leave a good word for the providers whose services I enjoyed that quarter.

Edit: fixed the math. I can't count properly without more caffeine, it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner