amuck-landowner

QR Codes - Using them yourself or just another dead fad?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
QRCodes, those postage stamp looking blocks of random pixelated data that contain, well, readable information with camera and proper software - surely you've seen them along the way.

As a user, customer, citizen, are you snapping QRCodes and using them these days?

Or has this passed as a fad already?

trewq

Verified Provider
Useless from a non business point of view, Google is quicker and if someone has a link they want you to go to they'll just tell you.

In logistics and stock tracking they are helpful, all the data you need is on your device instantly without querying a database.

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com that pretty much sums up how often they are used.

Last edited by a moderator:

Srvify

Verified Provider
I don't use them, the camera software that reads them is shoddy and as previously stated I can typically google something faster. 

vRozenSch00n

Useless from a non business point of view, Google is quicker and if someone has a link they want you to go to they'll just tell you.

In logistics and stock tracking they are helpful, all the data you need is on your device instantly without querying a database.

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com that pretty much sums up how often they are used.
Some medium class manufacturing companies uses standard barcoding and they are quite reluctant to move to QRCode as they have to invest more for new devices and interfacing softwares.

However some advance companies have both barcode and QRCode.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Reminds me of this: https://www.google.com/search?q=women+with+salad+laughing&tbm=isch (just the entire premise of it... Like... is it funny? Is it even interesting?)

Dylan

QR codes were one of those weird things where marketers thought they'd hit the jackpot but consumers never showed much interest. The last study I saw said just 21% of people have ever scanned a QR code, and only 2% scan them regularly.

Anecdotally, I find even 21% hard to believe.

Obviously logistics, inventory, etc., is a different situation.

iWF-Jacob

Verified Provider
Our last batch of business cards were printed when QR had recently came out, and we thought they were just the coolest thing since sliced bread, so on the back of all our biz cards is a QR code to our site. I seriously doubt any customer or potential customer has ever used it.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've seen them around for years but I've never once felt compelled to scan one, and in fact, I wouldn't even know how to if I wanted to.

I don't feel like I'm missing out.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
As a user, I haven't seen very many of them to actually scan / care about.

As an employee, well, let's just say 8 hrs a day worth of them. They're on a lot of things. Some of it is mainly to prevent you from putting the wrong part on, but that doesn't always stop someone from doing it anyways.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I never used one in my real life.

But our company is tagging all IT equitment with QR codes and our IT guys are happy because they have an inventory app which identifies pcs and tasks.

They scan the code and get a profile of the laptop or workstation and the scheduled tasks for that machine.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I use them... on the PC.

I have a Firefox plugin that will generate a QR code for the URL I'm viewing so if I'm reading something and need to go sit on the pan, a quick QR brings it up for me and away I go!

trewq

Verified Provider
I use them... on the PC.

I have a Firefox plugin that will generate a QR code for the URL I'm viewing so if I'm reading something and need to go sit on the pan, a quick QR brings it up for me and away I go!
Check out Pushbullet. Probably an easier solution.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Well, it could be even easier if I used Chrome on my desktop as the tabs would be available immediately on my phone... but I don't :p

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
I've scanned one QR code

One.

Probably 3 years ago at a best buy to load some more product info on my phone. Couldve just googled the serial number and gotten more useful info

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I use them occasionally when I want to continue reading some article, fanfiction or other website on my phone but CBF finding it in a google search (or know it would be too difficult to find).

souen

I've used them a few times. On one occasion I added a QR code link on an event sign and someone did scan it with a phone, so I wouldn't mind including it again.

It's still very popular in some countries like Korea and Japan..

amuck-landowner