amuck-landowner

QuickPacket - Dual Xeon L5420 - 16 GB RAM - 1 TB HD - KVM over IP / IPMI - $49.99 per month

qps

Verified Provider
QuickPacket is pleased to offer premium dedicated servers with high-quality, major brand hardware backed by a 100% uptime guarantee.

Why Choose QuickPacket?

- Founded in 2003; registered NC Limited Liability Company.

- We are not resellers - we own all of our server hardware.

- We operate our own fully-redundant network and have IP addresses directly from ARIN.

- Data center staffed 24x7 by on-site technicians.

- We keep spare parts on-site for hardware replacement.

- We have flexible month-to-month terms that do not require a long-term commitment.

===ATLANTA=DEDICATED=SERVERS===================

Dell PowerEdge CS24-SC - Intel Dual Xeon L5420

- Dual Quad Core 2.5 GHz / 1333 MHz FSB / 2x 12 MB Cache

- 16 GB RAM

- 1 TB Serial ATA Hard Drive

- 5 IP Addresses on Private VLAN with Reverse DNS

- Dedicated KVM over IP / IPMI (uses 1 IP address)

- 10 TB Bandwidth / 100 Mbps Port 

- Unmanaged

- Located in 55 Marietta / Atlanta, GA

$49.99 per month - Click here to Order Now!

Terms of Service - includes Acceptable Use Policy and Service Level Agreement

Note: All add-ons (network upgrades, hardware and software pricing) are listed on the order form.  If something is not listed on the order form, please contact us for pricing.

Facility Information:

- Located in 55 Marietta St NW in Atlanta, Georgia.  

- UPS and Generator backup power.

- Network providers include nLayer and Cogent.

- Ping/traceroute to 199.101.96.2. Please contact us for a test file link.

Technical Support:

- Push button reboots are provided for no charge.

- Faulty hardware replacement is included on dedicated servers.

- Dedicated servers are unmanaged.  Advanced technical support is available for $75 per hour.

Acceptable Use Information:

- IRC-related, Warez-related, Bulk Mail, and Spam-related activities are strictly forbidden.

- CAN-SPAM, Copyright, DMCA, and other related US laws must be strictly followed.

- Legal adult content is allowed.

- Please review our Terms of Service, which includes our full Acceptable Use Policy, for more information.

Ordering Information:

- We accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and PayPal for payment.

- Please contact us with questions prior to ordering.

- Orders will typically be processed within 12 hours after verification.

- Promotional pricing is available for new customers or existing customers adding additional servers.

Thank you for your interest! We look forward to serving you!

Last edited by a moderator:

qps

Verified Provider
Choose Billing Cycle

1 Month Price - $69.99 USD
If you click through to the second screen, the promotion code (that is included in the link) reduces the price to $49.99.

wdq

Quade
I'm really tempted to get one of these things to run several Minecraft game servers. Right now I have a really good deal on a couple of VPSs which I use to run the game servers. Something like this could really give me room to expand with the extra memory and disk space. I'm really just not sure how dedicated cores on an L5420 compare to shared cores on something like an E5-2620. 

qps

Verified Provider
I'm really tempted to get one of these things to run several Minecraft game servers. Right now I have a really good deal on a couple of VPSs which I use to run the game servers. Something like this could really give me room to expand with the extra memory and disk space. I'm really just not sure how dedicated cores on an L5420 compare to shared cores on something like an E5-2620. 
There are so many variables that it is difficult to compare a shared/VPS environment with a dedicated environment.

We have several customers who use these servers for Minecraft and have said that it works great.  

wdq

Quade
There are so many variables that it is difficult to compare a shared/VPS environment with a dedicated environment.   We have several customers who use these servers for Minecraft and have said that it works great.  
That's what I was thinking. I'll keep in mind that you have some customers who have been happily running Minecraft on their server. 

jarland

The ocean is digital
At the risk of sounding like I'm upsetting you away from Catalyst :p ...

The L5420 caves faster than the E5-2620 as a VPS node. As a single purpose node, it's a beastly CPU and it'll put out some serious performance.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

While the L5420 cores are older than the E5-2620s, they're still perfectly awesome workhorses suitable for almost any work.  I guarantee you it'll be perfectly fine and I can recommend qps's services (although I no longer have a service with them).  

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
At the risk of sounding like I'm upsetting you away from Catalyst  :p ...

The L5420 caves faster than the E5-2620 as a VPS node. As a single purpose node, it's a beastly CPU and it'll put out some serious performance.

Remember Jarland, we still do have a single Dual L5420 node in service at the moment ;) 

qps

Verified Provider

We have quite a few Dual Xeon L5420 in service for OpenVZ, Xen, and KVM VPS nodes (as do many of our customers), and they are workhorses.  Obviously, an E5-2620 will hold more VPS, but the Dual L5420 is very capable.

wdq

Quade

I was thinking of putting three to four Minecraft servers on the L5420. In total the maximum amount of people they would have on at once would probably be around 30. 

I'm pretty sure that the L5420 could handle it, but the server runs so well right now at Catalyst I really don't want to waste any money trying something that might not work out quite as well. There are just so many factors that go into a system (processor architecture, hard drive performance, system bus performance, and so on.)

I may end up seeing what people have to say on a place like Minecraft Forum, I'm sure there are people who have their game servers on an L5420.

qps

Verified Provider
Yeah... No IRC, no go for me
We've been hit with a few Denial of Service attacks related to IRC activity, so that's why we've decided to not allow it.  

Anyone have any specs on what the disk read/write is like on these?

I ran this a while back:

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/18/CdYns5xeaflmIh5W

Drive performance will vary depending on the specific brand/model drive that you receive, as we do use a few different brands/models.

Thanks for your interest.

wdq

Quade
Well, I just ordered one of them. Stock configuration with additional IP addresses. Hopefully it will get setup this afternoon. 

amuck-landowner