amuck-landowner

Quiting smoking.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
So, November 4th was my last cigarette.

Want advice on quiting? Just don't smoke. I ran out of cigerettes. It was cold, the gas station was closed (only place that sells them downtown where I live). So I didn't have any. The next day, for whatever reason, I didn't go out and buy more. At that point, it had been 24 hours without one. So I said, "Well, I've gone 24 hours without... would feel like an ass for smoking now."

Been 8 days. I'm still alive.

To be fair though, I had cut back drastically prior to fully quiting. I used to smoke a pack a day. Then a pack every two days. I was smoking a pack every 3, 4 or 5 days before I quit.

No e-cig, no patch, no whatever. Just quit :)

(Full disclosure: I did have a cigar around a campfire Saturday night, but I was five beers deep and it was a social setting. That doesn't count).

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Get an e-cig.

Aldryic got one while on the drive and he was entertained for 2 solid days with it.

You can get the refillable ones and you'l spend like $150 - $200/y total, depending on how much you smoke.

Francisco

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Yeah, I've got a few friends who have swapped to e-cigs pretty happily. It's a lot cheaper, and you still get the rather potent nootropic benefits of nicotine - without the carcinogenic effects of everything else in tobacco :p.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
My younger brother tried quitting a year or 2 ago and that lasted about 6 months before it started affecting him to the point where he had to start back up. He said that the first few months are easy until the nightmares start and it begins to affect your sleep. He tried the e-cig route but it wouldn't stop the nightmares.

My friend was able to go almost a year on just the e-cigs but they said the nightmares were unbearable also and it was impacting their job and family so they had to start smoking again.

I quit cold turkey 10 years ago so my wife would date me, I guess that's why it was easy for me to quit but it also could be that I smoked less than a 2 packs a week. I picked up a pack a few years ago just for kicks and the first drag made me physically sick so I'm 100% sure I'll never smoke again.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The e-cigs don't interest me that much. Healthier, yes. But still nicotine and still an addiction.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Nightmares?  Gotta be honest, first time I'd heard of that.  I quit a few years ago when my wife and I started dating (she's allergic to the smoke) - aside from a couple cigars on the cruise I hadn't really missed nicotine at all until picking up the e-cig in Buffalo.  Still don't really have any cravings.. but I'm debating picking up a few come December since that's when things get really nuts at work, and it'll take more than determination to keep me from strangling people.

Reactions: scv

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Nightmares?  Gotta be honest, first time I'd heard of that.  I quit a few years ago when my wife and I started dating (she's allergic to the smoke) - aside from a couple cigars on the cruise I hadn't really missed nicotine at all until picking up the e-cig in Buffalo.  Still don't really have any cravings.. but I'm debating picking up a few come December since that's when things get really nuts at work, and it'll take more than determination to keep me from strangling people.
This may be a really weird suggestion.

But get a blow up doll.

To strangle.

Am I an expert on this? No. But it'd be a great reason to have a blow up doll in the office.

trewq

Verified Provider
This may be a really weird suggestion.

But get a blow up doll.

To strangle.

Am I an expert on this? No. But it'd be a great reason to have a blow up doll in the office.
Or, you know, just go to the gym and punch stuff...

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I used to have an impact dummy (something similar to this) that I would practice on when I got frustrated.  HR made me take it out of the office because "people found it threatening" -_-
If I had my way, I'd have an indoor shooting range, accessible via my desk. But then I'd have no electronics left.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I hear folks on the office aggression.

Blow up doll :) hehe... that wouldn't go over except a home.  But I do know folks abusing them for HOV lane passengers.

I do like the shooting range from the desk idea...  

Echelon

Verified Provider
I'd suggest against e-cigarettes... or at least the cheaply made ones. I've seen too many of them ignite already.

Ivan

Verified Provider
You can do it, MannDude :p Surprisingly my dad also is trying to quit, starting today, in fact. No tablets/medicine/drugs/e-cig. Just quitting, for his own good. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Keep a pencil/pen in pocket to deal with the hand learning compulsion.

Boost up on selenium and B vitamins.   Get plenty of exercise.   Throw sugar out of diet and cut down on carbs... 

That should make it easier.

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
I switched to vaping a month ago or so, and it's significantly better than cigarettes. Already I'm spending much less time vaping and will probably be switching to nicotine-free e-juice in a month's time. I spent $50 on a nice kit and $10 of e-juice lasts me two weeks easy. Plus, I can do it inside the office without any worries.

Maximum_VPS

Verified Provider
Went from a pack a day+ (13+ years) to e-cigs still the occasional craving for a real cigarette but been over 2 months doing good.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Someone should start an e-cig thread... I know we have some high end e-cig folks on here with their custom juice and gear....

Me, next year, I am growing tobacco finally... I use nicotine as an insecticide.

earl

I hear the e-cigs are worst for you. I don't think they have any standards or regulation in place for e-cigs. Not sure if that has changed.

Maximum_VPS

Verified Provider
I hear the e-cigs are worst for you. I don't think they have any standards or regulation in place for e-cigs. Not sure if that has changed.
Worst? I don't know, basically your taking thousands of chemicals and cancer causing agents and trading them for just two or three (possibly in concentrated amounts).

I am also un aware of any standards or regulation with e-cigs.

Someone should start an e-cig thread... I know we have some high end e-cig folks on here with their custom juice and gear....
Would be interesting im sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner