amuck-landowner

Rage4dns question.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
A week or so ago I switched to Rage4DNS. They've got a free tier, however I am about to surpass that limit. That's fine, I figured I would but I can't seem to find information on how or when they start billing. I submitted a ticket but haven't heard back.

Code:
Usage summary

242651 (free usage 250000)
Just want to make sure they'll continue serving requests. I don't believe I was ever asked for billing details when registering and I don't see any sort of modern-day portal with billing or invoice options, so just want to make sure I'm in the clear here.

EDIT: Just an update, I did get a response to my email, I just didn't see it. D'oh! Rage4 responded an hour after I contacted them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver

Verified Provider
Yes they will continue serving the requests. You will get invoiced for it.

Also you will probably get a ticket reply really soon. Peter's really quick and great to deal with.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yes they will continue serving the requests. You will get invoiced for it.

Also you will probably get a ticket reply really soon. Peter's really quick and great to deal with.
Great, thanks! My only concern was that requests would stop being served until I paid an invoice or something. ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah Rage lets you keep piling up the amount :)

Done the numbers yet on estimate for the month?  

I recommend most folks look at the provider pricing as it often is cheaper and it gives you a fixed price.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah Rage lets you keep piling up the amount :)

Done the numbers yet on estimate for the month?  

I recommend most folks look at the provider pricing as it often is cheaper and it gives you a fixed price.
About 1,000,000 requests per month by my estimates, give or take. Been using it for about 8 days and are just shy of the 250,000 request free limit.

So, $2EUR - $3EUR per month. Not bad.

BlackoutIsHere

Verified Provider
About 1,000,000 requests per month by my estimates, give or take. Been using it for about 8 days and are just shy of the 250,000 request free limit.

So, $2EUR - $3EUR per month. Not bad.
Yeah not to mention the wicked clusters and features :D

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I suspect you'll exceed that million mark in second full month of use by a good bit.

Cheaper with the pay as you go at those levels.

I kept spiking and bill was random.   Think with projects around 10 million or greater level.  So the provider pricing makes sense.

Not pushing you away as a Rage4 customer, but, there are providers probably in your mix that are partners and they offer the Rage4 service free for paying customers.  So that would be technically free ;)  

You manage Rage4 then through their panel.

KS_Phillip

Verified Provider
Eh that kinda ruins it then since rage4 has such a nice api and feature list. Custom panels tend to water that down imo.
We provide all of our customers with their own rage4 sub-account if they prefer not to use our (admittedly fairly poor in its current state) panel.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Just an update, I did get a response to my email, I just didn't see it. D'oh! Rage4 responded an hour after I contacted them.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
We provide all of our customers with their own rage4 sub-account if they prefer not to use our (admittedly fairly poor in its current state) panel.
Just to clarify, Phil, the sub-accounts, you can enable that to work for folks logging into Rage4 and self managing with their panel?

clarity

I think that is why I have never signed up. I can't find pricing! How much does it cost? Any LEB providers offering it? I would love to test it out.

vanarp

I think that is why I have never signed up. I can't find pricing! How much does it cost? Any LEB providers offering it? I would love to test it out.
Fliphost does offer Rage4 DNS for free to their customers without any limitations. They have a custom interface to DNS management which I find a bit slow at times. You will not get the kind of reporting on Rage4's panel but there won't be any limitations on number of requests.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
. You will not get the kind of reporting on Rage4's panel but there won't be any limitations on number of requests.
+1 for FlipHost.  Been a customer of FlipHost. 

Just so folks know, the provider offered Rage4 doesn't include usage caps on lookups.  The only caps are the number of domains for the subscription amount by the provider.

amuck-landowner