amuck-landowner

RamNode Down?

shovenose

Verified Provider
And we all remember Shovenose's history with Slowloris... ;)
And that's why I now know all about it lol. You could consider me the resident Slowloris expert :D If expert is the same as copying and pasting one command into a random SSH window :p

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
And that's why I now know all about it lol. You could consider me the resident Slowloris expert :D If expert is the same as copying and pasting one command into a random SSH window :p
And that's whats worrying. It's not like Robert, for example, did anything 'difficult'. It's not like he's a 'master hacker' hell bent on destruction. Just some kid with piss poor judgement and instead of trying this on himself and only on himself he tried other provider(s).

shovenose

Verified Provider
And that's whats worrying. It's not like Robert, for example, did anything 'difficult'. It's not like he's a 'master hacker' hell bent on destruction. Just some kid with piss poor judgement and instead of trying this on himself and only on himself he tried other provider(s).
Well, tbh a variation of what I did. But at least I don't do those things consistently, and I did not cost anybody money or time. And I learn from my mistakes and understand what decisions I've made in the past what were stupid. I think that's the difference between him and me.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
That doesn't make you an expert.  That makes you one of the 1000000's of other kids that can do the exact same thing, download a program and run a command.  Nothing expert about this....

Sorry I don't mean to come off assholish but this kind of behavior is ridiculous and degrading to people who are actual security experts etc..  How can you consider yourself an expert at something you downloaded and ran????

shovenose

Verified Provider
That doesn't make you an expert.  That makes you one of the 1000000's of other kids that can do the exact same thing, download a program and run a command.  Nothing expert about this....

Sorry I don't mean to come off assholish but this kind of behavior is ridiculous and degrading to people who are actual security experts etc..  How can you consider yourself an expert at something you downloaded and ran????
I'm sorry, but I was obviously using the term expert sarcastically. 

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
Obvious doesn't work well over the internet, neither does sarcasm.  All anyone sees from your post is a bunch of smiles that make it seem like your proud of it.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What I like about Shove is he admits to his youthful mistakes.  That's worth something.  Showing progress Shovey.

Clarke I am unclear about.   The LET chatter prior about him, the swat incident, etc.   

Can't blame Clarke.  He has Microsoft dopiates in his DNA.  Someone needs to reboot him for him to work right.

BuyVM catching him via the logs poking where he shouldn't have been #priceless

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Wow, I look forward to meeting new people in this industry but people like him make me wonder... I know a lot of people that did bad things when they were younger. I know I did. I'm not proud of any of them, but they did teach me what NOT to do. And mine weren't really that bad and I'd tell anyone if they asked. People like him and a few others I know shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a good web host. He shouldn't even be able to own a domain name. Dude needs to grow up real fast. What he did was illegal, NO matter if he just accessed it or not. Access in itself is a crime. Especially if it is done with a known or unknown exploit.

Just my 2 cents.

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
What I like about Shove is he admits to his youthful mistakes.  That's worth something.  Showing progress Shovey.

Clarke I am unclear about.   The LET chatter prior about him, the swat incident, etc.   

Can't blame Clarke.  He has Microsoft dopiates in his DNA.  Someone needs to reboot him for him to work right.

BuyVM catching him via the logs poking where he shouldn't have been #priceless
Admitting because he was caught or just out of the kindness of his heart?  

I don't see saving face because your caught red handed with your fingers in the cookie jar worth something.  I knew I shouldn't do it but I did it anyway... Sorry :/

These discussions are the exact reason shove shouldn't bring that up.  It's happened yes, but why remind potential customers and everyone else that you did it?  Doesn't seem pro-business in my mind.  If it was a mistake leave it at that :) in the past where it belongs.  Learn from it and move on.

earl

All i can say is what a mess! I feel sorry for all the parties involved, I'm sure it has been a nightmare! reminds me of the fsckvps incident a couple years back..

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
reminds me of the fsckvps incident
I missed that trainwreck.  Is there a summary of it somewhere worth reading?

Admitting because he was caught or just out of the kindness of his heart?  

Lots of folks would take the low road and deflect and fabricate.  We have grown, seasoned adults around here that still do that. 

Or he could have taken the other sketchy road that is fairly popular with the electro-anarchist sect on lowend that declare hacking, floods, etc. essentially free speech and blame you for having an insecure system or open door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mun

Never Forget
I missed that trainwreck.  Is there a summary of it somewhere worth reading?

Lots of folks would take the low road and deflect and fabricate.  We have grown, seasoned adults around here that still do that. 

Or he could have taken the other sketchy road that is fairly popular with the electro-anarchist sect on lowend that declare hacking, floods, etc. essentially free speech and blame you for having an insecure system or open door.
Simple summary:

Early on Sun 15th of June 2013 an exploit was shown in SolusVM. Certain providers scrambled to get everything fixed, while others tested the exploit on other providers. One of these providers was RamNode and the culprit  for testing was "RobertClarke". I use quotations as I can't attest to this myself. In any case someone posted the SolusVM database to the world, and then began damaging some of the nodes. As such RamNode shutdown all servers and began patching. 

mpkossen

According to his posts on LET, he did try it on his own infrastructure at first (http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/283952/#Comment_283952). This makes his "attempt" at other providers even worse. He did already know it worked. He wasn't testing it on others, he was doing it knowing perfectly well it would work.

amuck-landowner