amuck-landowner

RamNode looking for a new panel

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
On Friday, @Nick_A posted this on WHT, seeking developers for a new VPS panel to replace SolusVM. It look like a good project, and it seems like besides the core functionality that SolusVM offers, there will be lots of nice new stuff. You can read the thread yourself (pay particular attention to the "significant requirements") but the things that stood out most to me are:

• OpenStack based
  • One login, integrating with WHMCS
  • Option for hourly billing
  • Internal IP functionality, as well as enabling distribution of /64 IPv6 blocks
It looks like a big project, but it will have a big budget too: $20k. We probably won't see it for at least 6 months to a year, but when it drops it will be awesome. Definitely will put RamNode at the top of the league in terms of VPS providers.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Dang!  That's some serious money and a serious project!  Definitely looks like it'd be a great project though!  

I kinda just can't wait until it's out already.  I just want it right now.  

dcdan

Verified Provider
To be completely honest, the budget seems to be quite low... Unless Ramnode is willing to outsource it.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
To be completely honest, the budget seems to be quite low... Unless Ramnode is willing to outsource it.
I agree, for a 6 month - 1 year expectation, 20k is not a very large budget for a project that large. If you consider the amount of work that went into Hostguard, Stallion, Feathur as well as prometeus's iw-stack (which I'm not sure if they have a custom panel as I've never used their service) . There are large corporations that hire multiple people to work on projects "like" these with similar timeframes as they step into virtualization with particular wants and needs.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I think I have to agree with that too.

prometeus's iw-stack (which I'm not sure if they have a custom panel as I've never used their service) .
Right now it's just CloudStack with a lot of tweaks but a custom panel is/was being made, just takes time unfortunately..

Amfy

20k isn't that much for such a project, of course, this highly depends on the details, but just have a look what the bit better devs are charging as their hourly rate and good devs+virt/network skills are even more rare.

Also this isn't so new, he already looked for a dev on freelancer.com if I remember correctly, but the time back the budget was 8k.

vampireJ

Just curious- doesn't ramnode already have a custom panel? If so this seems like a bigger and more ambitous project then

dcdan

Verified Provider
Theoretically, one could pull this off with 20k (outsourced), but you'd have to be *very* lucky to find the right team (and you'd still have to cut the specs in half).

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
That is a lot of money just to pay some random person on WHT.
Well, it won't be "some random person". At the end of the post, Nick says:

Please send your proposals and any related information to: nick[at]ramnode[.]com
I'm sure he'll review any such e-mails thoroughly, get back to the person (or team) with further questions, ensure they know what they're up to, etc. before hiring them and paying them anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Wow, I would add KVM support to Wyvern for much less than $20k but some of the other requests would be a deal breaker for me. :(

(Mobile)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It's very difficult finding a good developer these days regardless of the cash you have. The amount of bullshit replies and 'applications' that he will receive will take up a load of time. Not the best budget either...but someone will do something for it.

tchen

On the plus side at least, it's a nicely detailed RFP.  I wish most clients would go through the trouble to do that properly like this.  :)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
If I knew Python (and had time), I'd do it. I could certainly use that $20k - maybe pay for a year of college.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Honestly for the right independent developer this could be a very good job and not that difficult. Nothing about a vps panel is really all that complicated when put next to so many other development tasks. There's just not that many strong developers with a passion for vps panels. The number has grown though.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I agree, for a 6 month - 1 year expectation, 20k is not a very large budget for a project that large. If you consider the amount of work that went into Hostguard, Stallion, Feathur as well as prometeus's iw-stack (which I'm not sure if they have a custom panel as I've never used their service) . There are large corporations that hire multiple people to work on projects "like" these with similar timeframes as they step into virtualization with particular wants and needs.
Nick contacted us about purchasing Stallion 2 but I wasn't interested.

To be honest Stallion 2 took me 3 months to push out the initial build that we launched. I since then added backups, /64 assignment, KVM templates, redesigned a few of the pages, etc. While 3 months isn't long, I knew exactly how I wanted to do things from the get go. I have enough years of experience to know what needs to be done on the OS side, etc.

Personally I feel the budget is low if he's wanting a ground up fully in-house solution.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner