amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi 2

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So in two weeks, all those with buyers remorse let me know :)

Sorry I didn't snag one from first inventory, but I hate bleeding edge adoption.

Will be interested in seeing some comparative real world testing on the new CPU and see if they whole IO issue is any better on the new model.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I only ordered one because my ODroid C1 is, for lack of a better word, annoying even on it's best days. My RPi works flawlessly and I don't have to worry about whether it will boot up or not when I plug it in (and I can keep it plugged in 24x7 without having to worry either). I'm hoping the RPi2 will be just as reliable so I can start utilizing them like I wanted to my C1.

Last edited by a moderator:

raj

@KuJoe Are you not getting any HDMI out of your C1? Or only no HDMI on your monitor?  If you're looking to get the C1 off your hands for cheap, maybe we can work somethin' out :)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@KuJoe Are you not getting any HDMI out of your C1? Or only no HDMI on your monitor?  If you're looking to get the C1 off your hands for cheap, maybe we can work somethin' out :)
It works fine on my TV but not my monitor. I'm going to try installing the latest Ubuntu and Android to see if they work, if not then I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I might throw it in a data center for a cheap dev box.

rds100

Verified Provider
@KuJoe The raspberry Pi has this:

config_hdmi_boost configure the signal strength of the HDMI interface. Default is 0. Try 4 if you have interference issues with hdmi. 7 is the maximum.

See if the odroid has something similar.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Very odd.  The connector shell grounding thread on the ODROID-C1 forum has been interesting. Maybe try one of those solutions..
I tried that without any luck. I've used the HDMI cable that came with the ODroid so I assume that would be grounded correctly. I also tried the screwdriver trick and it didn't work either. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I tried that without any luck. I've used the HDMI cable that came with the ODroid so I assume that would be grounded correctly. I also tried the screwdriver trick and it didn't work either. 
You should totally contact their support about it.  Get it RMAed or something.  

souen

@KuJoe What issues are you having on the C1 besides HDMI?

The only problem I've had with the Raspberry Pi so far is the wireless usb adapter getting too hot when running a CLI music player for 8-12 hours, causing the Pi to reboot every 1-2 days (the Pi is connected to speakers via the audio jack but having the terminal session open is probably like streaming for hours from it). I'm told it's a common problem with usb devices, going to pick up some heatsinks eventually and see if they'll be any help. Other than that, it's a happily headless recreational hub (Wallabag, news reader, IRC and IM clients).

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Hm.  You know what.  What's everyone doing with their Raspberry Pis?  While having automatic door closers and all that stuff is cool, I mostly am looking for a better purpose for my raspberry pi!  

As for now, it's a simple XMBC client.  

raj

Hm.  You know what.  What's everyone doing with their Raspberry Pis?  While having automatic door closers and all that stuff is cool, I mostly am looking for a better purpose for my raspberry pi!  

As for now, it's a simple XMBC client.  
My RPi vB was an Raspbmc system for serving local and streaming content for about a year.  It got replaced recently by an ODROID-C1 which has significantly better performance.  

Now the RPi is running Raspbian being used as a Desktop. That is, it's on my desk to run lightweight email/web/music streaming system.  I also use it to wake up (Wake-on-Lan) and RDP to a Windows 7 laptop (an old 1.4ghz Celeron/1.5GB/40GB IDE Dell Inspiron 1200) sitting under my desk when I need more power or Windows components.  

It's sluggish as a Desktop, of course, but overall usable.  It's hard to be OK with the performance of the RPi after playing with the ODROID-C1 though, so I'm getting the itch to get the new RPi2vB.  If I hadn't used the ODROID, I'd have been more OK with it :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
My RPi vB was an Raspbmc system for serving local and streaming content for about a year.  It got replaced recently by an ODROID-C1 which has significantly better performance.  

Now the RPi is running Raspbian being used as a Desktop. That is, it's on my desk to run lightweight email/web/music streaming system.  I also use it to wake up (Wake-on-Lan) and RDP to a Windows 7 laptop (an old 1.4ghz Celeron/1.5GB/40GB IDE Dell Inspiron 1200) sitting under my desk when I need more power or Windows components.  

It's sluggish as a Desktop, of course, but overall usable.  It's hard to be OK with the performance of the RPi after playing with the ODROID-C1 though, so I'm getting the itch to get the new RPi2vB.  If I hadn't used the ODROID, I'd have been more OK with it :)
Hm so you're using your Raspberry Pi as a thin client eh?  Yeah that would be a great solution if any of my servers actually had good latency. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Woot! My C1 is working with the latest Ubuntu release (still can't get the Android release working). I'll benchmark and compare both when I get the RPi2.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Woot! My C1 is working with the latest Ubuntu release (still can't get the Android release working). I'll benchmark and compare both when I get the RPi2.
Sweet!

Haha I got a call from Element14 earlier today about some issues getting mine sent to me (I think this is more dependent on my region rather than everyone else).  So I guess I'll be getting mine later...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
How much power does each Pi use?
Well the old 512MB B model will run without USB accessories on 5V 1A = 5 watts.   Throwing USB stuff tends to create power issue and thus 5V 2A power supplies have been commonly recommended.  Unsure of that 2A how much the Pi B prior could actually use though even with accessories.

The latest 1GB model has some increase power wise on maximum use officially. The board I think I read handles 1.2A  or 6 watts.  Same 5V 2A power supplies recommended for that and actually necessary for the 1GB models.

The Model A's run a good bit lower power but lack a NIC, less RAM and I forget what else...

amuck-landowner