amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi 2

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ahh boo, I mispoke previously. I thought mine had shipped already. When I got the email confirmation about the order after it was made Gmail included the "Track Shipping" tag. I just checked it today, hasn't shipped yet. :(

9gI8ux1.png

robbyhicks

Verified Provider
It's just the client. I use Rasplex. It's amazing.
I see, so probably not possible to do the server I'm guessing because of the power needed for decoding?  I was thinking of hooking an external drive to one and giving it a shot.

trewq

Verified Provider
I see, so probably not possible to do the server I'm guessing because of the power needed for decoding? I was thinking of hooking an external drive to one and giving it a shot.
It won't work, plenty of discussions about it online.

pcan

Today I used all day the brand new Raspberry Pi 2 as my main thin client desktop. We use a plain, cheap vanilla Microsoft RDP over Windows 2008R2 or 2012R2 remote desktop servers, nothing fancy or high-performance such as Citrix.

I started with the Raspbian image, and I installed our in-house custom python script for thin client central management. We originally developed it for old repurposed 2004-2007 office PCs - we reinstalled them with Ubuntu 10.04 when we phased out Windows xp and shifted to a server-based desktop.

I almost didn't felt the difference from my regular thin client hardware. Hugely better than the original Pi, better than N270 Atom single-core netbooks or older Geode thin clients, worse than the cheapest Intel NUC or multicore Atoms (for this application). Scrolling is far from perfect, but user experience seems to be good enough.

I will keep testing this solution for two months. If stability and performance will be confirmed, I will start a pilot replacement of some older thin clients and repurposed Pentium-D PCs with the RPi2. SD card wear should not be a issue on this application, I hope.

This, and the replacement of older monitors could maybe avoid the upgrade of the building UPS scheduled for the second half of this year. This way, RPi+monitor deploy costs will be recovered fully from existing budget, and the office users will get less background fan noise and a nice 23'' LCD with HDMI input.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Today I used all day the brand new Raspberry Pi 2 as my main thin client desktop. We use a plain, cheap vanilla Microsoft RDP over Windows 2008R2 or 2012R2 remote desktop servers, nothing fancy or high-performance such as Citrix.

I started with the Raspbian image, and I installed our in-house custom python script for thin client central management. We originally developed it for old repurposed 2004-2007 office PCs - we reinstalled them with Ubuntu 10.04 when we phased out Windows xp and shifted to a server-based desktop.

I almost didn't felt the difference from my regular thin client hardware. Hugely better than the original Pi, better than N270 Atom single-core netbooks or older Geode thin clients, worse than the cheapest Intel NUC or multicore Atoms (for this application). Scrolling is far from perfect, but user experience seems to be good enough.

I will keep testing this solution for two months. If stability and performance will be confirmed, I will start a pilot replacement of some older thin clients and repurposed Pentium-D PCs with the RPi2. SD card wear should not be a issue on this application, I hope.

This, and the replacement of older monitors could maybe avoid the upgrade of the building UPS scheduled for the second half of this year. This way, RPi+monitor deploy costs will be recovered fully from existing budget, and the office users will get less background fan noise and a nice 23'' LCD with HDMI input.
Might be worth keeping an eye on this project: http://rpitc.blogspot.com/

Here's a video I uploaded a while back on the model B+:

Last edited by a moderator:

pcan

RPi-TC is a nice project and the optimizations on the remote desktop clients are far more advanced than the stock Raspbian packages.

I need a few standard Debian packages for the management script; and the Raspbian image already has the freerdp package. I will check again RPi-TC when it will be compatible with RPi2, for sure, but I probably will keep using the Raspbian distribution as base system.

I am now searching for a dirt cheap VESA-mount or fully closed case for the Raspberry B+. The RS standard B+ case don't fit properly in a office, and most good-loking cases are expensive (hey, they are a small piece of plastic).

KuJoe

Verified Provider
RPi-TC is a nice project and the optimizations on the remote desktop clients are far more advanced than the stock Raspbian packages.

I need a few standard Debian packages for the management script; and the Raspbian image already has the freerdp package. I will check again RPi-TC when it will be compatible with RPi2, for sure, but I probably will keep using the Raspbian distribution as base system.

I am now searching for a dirt cheap VESA-mount or fully closed case for the Raspberry B+. The RS standard B+ case don't fit properly in a office, and most good-loking cases are expensive (hey, they are a small piece of plastic).
I have the clear case for my B+ and I originally had it zip-tied to the back of my monitor but now I have it mounted under my desk using a single screw so it's completely out of the way, it was the cheapest case I could find but it worked at the time. For the RPi2 I'm looking at cases here: http://www.adafruit.com/categories/289

trewq

Verified Provider
Is the sound quality on this any better than the B+? I've just setup a Spotify client for my car on one but the output quality on the Aux output is rubbish.

Might just buy a usb sound card...

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I got an e-mail on my phone with the subject "Your order has been shipped!" and I got all excited thinking it was my RPi2 shipping earlier but it was just the 16GB of RAM I ordered off eBay. :(

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I got an e-mail on my phone with the subject "Your order has been shipped!" and I got all excited thinking it was my RPi2 shipping earlier but it was just the 16GB of RAM I ordered off eBay. :(
DAM YOU EBAY!  Such a tease.  

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner