amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi 2

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I have an issue with both my B+ and Model 2 where I occasionally find them locked up. The device doesn't respond to anything, HTTP, SSH and the Ethernet port is lit. It could be a kernel panic but I don't have anything attached to view the output.
Do a search for sleep mode, there's some flags you can set to prevent your network from going to sleep or you can set a cron job to ping the gateway every minute (this is what I do).

EDIT: Found the link: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/1384/how-do-i-disable-suspend-mode/4518#4518

Last edited by a moderator:

kcaj

Checked logs after repowering it?  Is it in case?  Perhaps thermal issue?  I've had same happen with a bad USB power converter.  Tossed that one aside.
It's in a NineOneDesign case. Nothing in the log. When this happens I can feel the heat coming off the CPU.

raj

Do you have the Rpi2 overclocked?  On my RPi1B OC to 1Ghz would stop responding after period of idle.  Power cycle would fix it.  At 950Mhz OC, and no change to installed OS, it's been running for days, including long idle periods, without issue.

stim

My new Pi2 arrives tomorrow. I'm ridiculously excited!

I'm thinking that it might be a good platform to start my own mail server from home. Has anyone tried this? 

stim

My new Pi2 arrives tomorrow. I'm ridiculously excited!

I'm thinking that it might be a good platform to start my own mail server from home. Has anyone tried this? 
I can't find a way to edit my posts. Anyway, it looks like using the pi as a home mailserver is indeed a viable option:

https://samhobbs.co.uk/raspberry-pi-email-server

This is quite a revelation for me. I've always been hesitant to start my own mailserver, even though I've always wanted to.

With the pi I have the perfect testing platform to experiment before I arrive at a robust, portable and clone-able configuration. Then I can finally dump Gmail. Hooray!

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I can't find a way to edit my posts. Anyway, it looks like using the pi as a home mailserver is indeed a viable option:

https://samhobbs.co.uk/raspberry-pi-email-server

This is quite a revelation for me. I've always been hesitant to start my own mailserver, even though I've always wanted to.

With the pi I have the perfect testing platform to experiment before I arrive at a robust, portable and clone-able configuration. Then I can finally dump Gmail. Hooray!
Yes it'd be possible (honestly anything is possible as long as it's compiled for ARM).

I'd suggest though that you contact your ISP (or look through the docs first) before you build a home mail server.  If you're on a residential ISP then more than likely they have something written in there saying you're not allowed to run a mail server on your home connection.  

stim

Thanks guys for dimming my enthusiasm!  :D

(still excited though)

I have a fixed IP at home, just need to look at the terms and conditions. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well got the Pi rockin' with x2go to connect to a remote desktop. I'm looking for something that has very low power that someday could be ran from solar that would accommodate normal/light browsing. Nothing serious or heavy.

Was surprised how light all this is, really. On the Pi can run Iceweasel and stream music from YouTube and run x2go as well and it doesn't take much resources. On x2go I can run Skype, Icewesael, IceDove, etc as well without issue. HTOP shown for both instances (Pi on top, remote server on bottom)

INd5XHR.png

Blurred stuff out incase I x-post on reddit discussion.

yp4QbCT.jpg

I like it.

haloelite3

I have been considering about purchasing a raspberry Pi - however I sometimes wonder what I would use it for.

What have people previously used them for?

Thanks

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Well got the Pi rockin' with x2go to connect to a remote desktop. I'm looking for something that has very low power that someday could be ran from solar that would accommodate normal/light browsing. Nothing serious or heavy.

Was surprised how light all this is, really. On the Pi can run Iceweasel and stream music from YouTube and run x2go as well and it doesn't take much resources. On x2go I can run Skype, Icewesael, IceDove, etc as well without issue. HTOP shown for both instances (Pi on top, remote server on bottom)

I like it.
So can you you Kill-a-watt test that setup of the Pi 1GB model + the monitor?  Interested in seeing what that pulls total for comparisons.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

INd5XHR.png

Blurred stuff out incase I x-post on reddit discussion.

yp4QbCT.jpg

I like it.
Oh snap you got a heatsink for your raspberry pi?

How good is it? is it worth it?

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Can someone with a RPI2 perform a benchmark for me? Preferably on a lightweight distribution (such as Raspbian w/o Desktop). Its a bit of a nuisance, but I am interested to see the raw performance of the networking chip and how it compares to the RPI 1b. I suspect the problem with the RPI is bus related, not sure if the RPI2 has any fixes there.

Load the following iptables rule:

Code:
iptables -A PREROUTING -t raw -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1111 -j DROP
From the console, execute vnstat the results will appear here (providing we dont entirely kill it). You can probably do this over SSH unless it dies, it will likely just lag. If you can I am also interested in the average usage of the soft irq CPU component, this can be fetched from top (look at the "si" part).
Code:
vnstat -l
[and]
From a separate machine execute:
Code:
hping3 <rpi-ip> --flood -S --destport 1111
For those curious the RPI 1b does 26-28K PPS (DROP'ed SYN with a similar rule to the above).

stim

I did the boring thing and installed a media centre (OSMC, the successor of Raspbmc). I've been  very pleasantly surprised at the performance boost. The Pi1 was a tad too sluggish for this job. Pi2 handles it with aplomb.

The current at the USB ports can be boosted to 1.2A, so it's now possible to plug-in a USB HDD without an external power power source. So it makes for a cute always-on file server. Installed Ruby and it works nicely.

Great upgrade. Loving it so far!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh snap you got a heatsink for your raspberry pi?

How good is it? is it worth it?
Yeah. For $5 I figured I'd give them a whirl. I plan on overclocking the Pi eventually so figured any little bit of help with dissipating whatever heat it may create would be worth it.

trewq

Verified Provider
Current model (PI 2)
Thanks for confirming my suspicious. I don't know how the pi 2 has its aux port setup but the B+ has a video out built into it, making all normal AUX male heads have the wrong pin config resulting in interface.

I just purchased a $3 USB sound card to fix it.

amuck-landowner