amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi owners?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
for one thing, I'm wondering how much network traffic a Pi can really push.
CPU model : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : MHz
Total amount of ram : 485 MB
Total amount of swap : 0 MB
System uptime : 45 days, 6:39,
Download speed from CacheFly: 3.87MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 862KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.87MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.12MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 1.23MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.92MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.17MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.27MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.33MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 1.46MB/s
I/O speed : 20.0 MB/s

Here's a quick overview of my RPi.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thanks!  There was some deal I saw on LET...got it for $6.71 from Amazon.

pogo2.JPG

pogo1.JPG

Ahh the 4 base unit minus the SATA and some other stuff...

If you can tolerate ArchLinux:

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4

That covers the A3 model, but I expect it to work on that A1 model.

Are you a Debian guy?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Are you a Debian guy?
Meh - Linux is Linux so anything works.  Is there a separate Debian guide?  

I've never used Arch but could certainly try it - it's not like I'm trying to run Linux on a Pogo out of any burning sense of practicality  :lol:

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
Hi there... I'm thinking of getting a RaspberryPi but am having trouble thinking of what to actually use it for. What are you using yours for?
We tried but were unsuccessfull to set one up to do nothing but a web browser in our lobby with a wide screen to display a status/network program to clients in the lobby.  The problem was the device couldn't handle FLASH (then again what devices can?).  We got it running fine otherwise, just couldn't run a flash program due to cpu load.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Nope.  But this one looks promising for the A1:

http://blog.vinnymac.org/?p=242

EDIT: Or not :)

# ssh [email protected]
Corrupted MAC on input.
Disconnecting: Packet corrupt
#
Not to turn this into a blog about Arch on Pogo, but I did get this to work by reverting to the stock firmware, and using the official installation instructions, which is what I should have done the first time.

Details if anyone is curious: https://raindog308.com/arch-linux-on-a-pogoplug-v4-a1-01/

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
There are indeed @raindog308 Debian how-to's... Let me see if I can find one for that model while doing an install on some fresh A3 models this weekend.

The A1 on paper *appears* to be the same everything as the A3, just lacks some of the additional connectors.

Arch is alright... I am a Debian person, so I try to get Debian going on these A3's.  Have a few Arch loaded Pogo's but they are kind of idle boxes - one does Tor + Torrents.   I haven't branched out to be real comfortable and adopting of Arch otherwise.

Nice write up on your blog BTW.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Pretty cool... got me wanting to buy one now, i am not quite sure what i would use it for though.

A3's are a hefty $12.99 on Ebay.. sometimes less :)   It's all day able to be found otherwise in the $20 or less bracket...

Uses, hmmm, doing a barebones DLNA server with one to serve up content to TV.  That one has a big fat USB3 external drive tethered to it.

Have another one with various network daemons for networking, filtering ads, etc.

A third one runs torrents and TOR... although not doing one inside the other.

Two others are development / testing boxes to see what else I can get the boxes to do with various daemons going.

Issue with these really is the RAM limit.  Only real fault I have with these.  More RAM would be very good.  Pogo folks cheaped out / traded ports for cost of RAM.  It's hard on the board RAM sadly or I'd upgrade one and try it.

I think the Sheevaplugs have serviceable RAM, but they are hardly seen these days.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
oooooo they have HDMI Ports i may get one and set up a multi media pc or something for my tv in my room.. Netflix and such :eek:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
oooooo they have HDMI Ports i may get one and set up a multi media pc or something for my tv in my room.. Netflix and such :eek:

The Raspberry Pi's do have HDMI, the pogos do not :)

If the Pi interests you, give a look at the Banana Pi.  It's compatible with Raspbian and lots of overlap.  It has dual core + more RAM + SATA.  Cost is a little more, but I think worth it.

stim

I have mine glued to the back of the TV. HD streaming with RaspBMC and some plugins = awesome. minDLNA streams music around the house.

I also installed Ruby + Sinatra and use it as a surprisingly capable platform for developing small web apps. Also it's an always-on seedbox for (legal) torrents. Further, I've been able to stream live DJ sets from my house using Icecast and connecting to the server with Mixx from a laptop.

There is still room for my arduino project. I am building my own grow-cabinet, the environment of which will be monitored and controlled by the arduino, which in turn is controlled by the Pi from anywhere in the world. I'll stick a camera in there too so I can see my beauties in full bloom. 

For 30 Euro, a fantastic investment IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

pcan

We tried but were unsuccessfull to set one up to do nothing but a web browser in our lobby with a wide screen to display a status/network program to clients in the lobby.  The problem was the device couldn't handle FLASH (then again what devices can?).  We got it running fine otherwise, just couldn't run a flash program due to cpu load.
We use the Raspberry Pi to show the general statistics of our company solar panel installation. The plant has 12000 panels that are covering the roof of 3 large buildings, and has been commissioned in 2012 with a flash based application made by the german company SMA. It quickly became apparent that the "professional" SMA flash application could not cope with the number of inverters involved (almost 200). It often became unstable and needed a restart before the end of the day. We scrapped the application and coded a new one that reads the data directly from the 6 plant supervision interfaces (SMA webboxes). The application is installed on a Raspberry Pi and writes the data on a MySQL database hosted on a small VmWare VPS. The fancy real-time global statistics are computed and combined with some plant pictures and data on a slide show. As added bonus, I was able to put the Raspberry Pi inside the back of the display case (see picture). This easy to service installation is simple with no video cables or PC's laying around. It's working 24/7 since 2013.

As added bonus, the mysql database is used to analize historical trends, and the real-time data is feed into a simple script running on the Rpi itself that send email warnings to the maintenance crew (we can immediately check tripped switches or faulty inverters). 

Front of the display

e4JaC4B.jpg

Back of the display

Mkus9v7.jpg

SentinelTower

We use the Raspberry Pi to show the general statistics of our company solar panel installation. The plant has 12000 panels that are covering the roof of 3 large buildings, and has been commissioned in 2012 with a flash based application made by the german company SMA. It quickly became apparent that the "professional" SMA flash application could not cope with the number of inverters involved (almost 200). It often became unstable and needed a restart before the end of the day. We scrapped the application and coded a new one that reads the data directly from the 6 plant supervision interfaces (SMA webboxes). The application is installed on a Raspberry Pi and writes the data on a MySQL database hosted on a small VmWare VPS. The fancy real-time global statistics are computed and combined with some plant pictures and data on a slide show. As added bonus, I was able to put the Raspberry Pi inside the back of the display case (see picture). This easy to service installation is simple with no video cables or PC's laying around. It's working 24/7 since 2013.

As added bonus, the mysql database is used to analize historical trends, and the real-time data is feed into a simple script running on the Rpi itself that send email warnings to the maintenance crew (we can immediately check tripped switches or faulty inverters). 

Front of the display

e4JaC4B.jpg

Back of the display

Mkus9v7.jpg

Wow, it's a neat display. Did you/your company build it or is it bought ?

Maybe you should blur the MAC address that we can see on the label.

pcan

Wow, it's a neat display. Did you/your company build it or is it bought ?
It's a sample of our 2007 line of displays. The inox steel frame is from the standard product catalog, the glass is cut on custom size.

We are currently running a final deep discount clearance of this old display line (raw LCD monitor and glass only - no frame) on 10.4, 15, 17 and 37 inch sizes. It's a clever combination of a LCD panel (composite, DVI and VGA inputs) and a special glass. A magnet keeps the glass firmly over the LCD panel. If the LCD is turned off, the display looks like a common, slightly dark mirror. It was expensive and has been sold mainly to luxury hotels. The LCD monitor is compliant to european market requirements (but many have been installed in Dubai) and is meant to be inserted inside plasterboard walls or furniture. A more recent implementation of this design concept, with full-hd displays, is currently developed and sold by www.ad-notam.com at obviously high prices.

amuck-landowner