amuck-landowner

Reserving Disk Space you Purchased from the Oversold VPS providers

Ash

And to continue about the RAM. Here is an example from a mostly idle test KVM machine i have. This is what is seen inside the VM:

top - 13:21:23 up 22:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Tasks:  52 total,   1 running,  51 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

Cpu(s):  0.0%us,  0.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.7%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si, 0.0%st

Mem:    514728k total,    85604k used,   429124k free,    19556k buffers

Swap:   498680k total,        0k used,   498680k free,    50376k cached

On the node the KVM process for this VM has vsize of 584868 KB and RSS of  96652KB.

So this 512MB KVM virtual machine is consuming slightly less than 100MB real RAM on the node.
I can only speak from my own experience here rds100. Maybe my customers decide to actually use what they purchase.

In regards to the HDD overselling, sure you can do it manually that way, but SolusVM doesn't support doing that via the GUI, i guess i should have been more clear.

Damian

Verified Provider
Why would someone sit and sell 256 for $7/mo when can go get 2GB/$7/mo? or even 3GB/$7/mo now.. 

Because quality sells. We haven't ran a sale or advertised anywhere in over a month, and people are still beating down our door to buy product at our regular prices. I'd much rather sell 1-2 plans at a price that's self-sustaining than to sell 50 plans at some price that's obviously not going to be sustainable. This also causes people to not complain as much when we have an issue, since they know that we're here to help and respond, instead of treating them like livestock.

I feel sorry for any of these new hosts that are relying on heroin addiction to effect their basic revenue, especially with Solus being offline for over a week now.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
I not only dont care if customers do this on my service I would not even notice if they did, Xen+SolusVM = you get what you pay for, the resources are isolated in terms of physical allocations i.e. if you have 2GB you can use it all day it has been pre allocated at purchase and same with disk space.

I am now more convinced than ever that people just buy cheap VPS's to have an excuse to destroy, complain and self delude.

You think your getting 2GB guaranteed from 90% of the people offering it then your smoking to much crack.... put the pipe down and walk away from this thread.

I sell 2GB Xen packages for $6.95 on special offer at the moment, however on nodes with 128GB Ram and no more than 50% of a node gets sold at that rate, anyone selling you 2GB on an E3 node running OpenVZ for the same price is laughing at you when they see your order come in I promise.

Last edited by a moderator:

vanarp

@, Thank you for the nice tutorial. I think it will be cool to have a script that can do all the job based on an input of how much GB I want reserved :)

Now waiting for someone to write a tutorial for ways to keep my guaranteed RAM (not the burst) reserved  ;)

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
ways to keep my guaranteed RAM (not the burst) reserved 

The script is call Xen :)

Seriously, don't buy cheap OpenVZ based servers and kid yourself, it really is that simple, don't reserve your Ram on OpenVZ that is about the only selling point for OpenVZ over others, this is what keeps it so cheap, if everyone does this and it becomes common you will be kissing good bye to the ultra insane OpenVZ offers. :)

SkylarM

Verified Provider
The script is call Xen :)

Seriously, don't buy cheap OpenVZ based servers and kid yourself, it really is that simple, don't reserve your Ram on OpenVZ that is about the only selling point for OpenVZ over others, this is what keeps it so cheap, if everyone does this and it becomes common you will be kissing good bye to the ultra insane OpenVZ offers. :)
Pretty sure you can overcommit memory in Xen as well no?

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
ffs, not the stupid ballooning argument again, even with ballooning you cannot ever commit more ram than the physical node has and it can be turned off inside a domU so it would never be used for hosting anyway.

Also Xen is not at a dead end, it was just a few days ago introduced back in to the official repo's for CentOS 6 and will be native in RHEL 7.

anyway,... before replying to this post I want you to hold both hand in front of you.

count down your fingers from 10 on the left hand

10, 9, 8 , 7 , 6 now add the 6 fingers you just counted to the 5 fingers on your right hand... you just openvz'ed your hands bitches!

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Just re-read your post and I understand what you mean, sorry.

I'll get me coat.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Nice one, here is 10p, ring your mother and tell her your not coming home tonight..... does my handkerchief smell like chloroform to you?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Now waiting for someone to write a tutorial for ways to keep my guaranteed RAM (not the burst) reserved  ;)
Well we could take that RAM and throw it into a RAMdisk and then populate that RAMdisk with some more "original" and uncompressable data :)  That should keep the RAM reserved.  

This may work.... Someone who fusses with RAMdisks can confirm and tweak:

mkdir /tmp/ramdisk; chmod 777 /tmp/ramdisk
mount -t tmpfs -o size=512M tmpfs /tmp/ramdisk/
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/ramdisk/music_edit1.wav bs=100M count=5

Adjust the size value in the mount command to equal the "spare" unused RAM.

Adjust the dd line count value to nearly equal the value specified in mount / 100 (i.e. 512 / 100 = 5)

Look at top/htop/free prior to running this and after running this.

acd

tmpfs is allowed to be pushed to swap by the kernel. That's not to say there isn't something that does this, but I'm leery of contributing positively to your efforts, even in jest.

I've never run Xen, but doesn't xenpaging allow any amount of overcommit you want in HVM (with proportionately crappy performance)? Same with KVM without hugepage backed memory; overcommitted ram gets pushed into swap. ESXi appears to do this by default unless you set reserved to max.

As far as force-reserve resources, I don't see why you want to do this; having shared burstable resources is pretty good as long as you're aware of how much your guaranteed allocation is. It allows the host to provide less expensive service while letting the users consume more when they need it.

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
both Xen and KVM support overcommit. On Xen the driver will allocate the memory that's being ballooned inside of the VM, while in reality that memory is actually being assigned to another VM. On KVM it actually reduces the amount of available 'physical' memory inside the VM.

ffs, not the stupid ballooning argument again, even with ballooning you cannot ever commit more ram than the physical node has and it can be turned off inside a domU so it would never be used for hosting anyway.
There's a large number of hosts doing exactly that though.

BlueVM

Verified Provider
My general rules for selling VPS are:

1. Make a profit (or at least break even). If we can't our servers won't be online long and it doesn't matter.

2. Make an offer I personally would buy if I was looking for a VPS.

3. Provide something I would be happy with using, if I would not be happy with it I need to fix it.

4. Maintain a 20% profit margin on a stable node. Overloading a server to make MOAR money just means you'll loose money in the long run from unhappy clients.

amuck-landowner