amuck-landowner

Reserving Disk Space you Purchased from the Oversold VPS providers

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So, you bought one of those super duper under-priced and guaranteed to be oversold VPS packages.  You know, one of those featuring 50GB, 100GB or even more disk space.

Wisely, you bought it on a special, and now are letting it idle and season to see if it is reliable before deploying it.

All while your provider is busy noticing the node is empty, the CPU is idle and continues to oversell the server more.

Or perhaps your provider lost your data, took ten days to reply to tickets and finally informed you that you are screwed, the data is gone.

What to do?   Claim some of your resources for the rest of your stay as a customer: Consume disk, eat up your backup space, etc.

sudo su
mkdir /home/workfiles
cd /home/workfiles
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/home/workfiles/music_edit1.wav bs=100M count=100

What we are doing:

sudo su = become root

mkdir /home/workfiles = creating a new directory under /home for our stash files

cd /home/workfiles = changing to our newly created directory

dd if=/dev/urandom of=/home/workfiles/music_edit1.wav bs=100M count=100

- this creates a file from random data (/dev/urandom).  The file is 100M in chunk size before the write to disk happens.  We keep this small so as to not run out RAM.  We do 100 of these to create a 10GB file.

Outcome:  We just chewed up 10GB of disk space or reserved it for your future use.

To reserve larger blocks of disk space for later use, adjust the count= to larger values (i.e. 200 = 20GB) or smaller values (i.e. 50 = 5GB).  Be sure to adjust the of= end file name for each file (i.e. /home/workfiles/music_edit2.wav).

I'd create a number of these files so you can "recover" disk space as needed.  For instance, if you have 50GB of disk:

Create files that are 5% of total available disk in size or 2.5GB per file.

music_edit1.wav

music_edit2.wav

music_edit3.wav

music_edit4.wav

music_edit5.wav

music_edit6.wav

music_edit7.wav

music_edit8.wav

music_edit9.wav

music_edit10.wav

=================

10 files @ 2.5GB each = 25GB or 50% of the available storage provided in your package.

When you decide to put your VPS to regular good use and need disk space, delete reserved space files as needed.

Yes, you can create one big reserve file (say if 50GB of disk allocated,  create a 40GB single file).

Note:

Since we are populating these files with random data, the files will not show any size in savings when compressed.  Meaning backups and other disk reduction methods will not succeed in reducing your use footprint.   You will use every byte of disk you have reserved in these files on that disk and same will be true of the provider backups.

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
Excellent idea. I'm thinking of also writing a small daemon for "reserving" all that memory that you bought but don't use.

peterw

Nasty idea. I will do that on my low end vps too. Maybe the backup space of the weekly backups is oversold too.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe the backup space of the weekly backups is oversold too.

Oh, you can bet that is true.  

If we take the recent mass failing of a provider and start adding VPS accounts directed to backup nodes, it is quite a traffic jam.  I haven't done the math but it is many hundreds of accounts backing up to a single backup node. 

Providers bank on the VPS instances themselves being tiny and unused.  Certainly can envision disk compression and disk deduplication being used to save on backups.  Original data like this is full usage and nothing to dedupe.

rsk

Verified Provider
The the thing, budget providers cater to a market that is willing to pay $7 max for the mona lisa.

Really, if you want guaranteed non oversold resources why not choose a proper host? Pay the additional charges and get a descent KVM and purchase exactly what you require, the way it is meant to be done?

This method here, which you posted, is to be honest "unfair". You want low prices, yet you want guaranteed resources at all times. It wont happen in the budget/overselling market.

PS. you, doesn't literally mean you or the OP. This doesn't imply to us all. (please do not bash me :p)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The the thing, budget providers cater to a market that is willing to pay $7 max for the mona lisa.

While this is true, who says the Mona Lisa is truly worth more than $7?  That's the position of the low end providers (most of them).

If someone is trying to sell the Mona Lisa at $7, it is either a print, a forgery or some other form of fraud.  False advertising all day.

The situation where people will say anything to get customers and do so by devaluing resources and mocking the legitimate industry reminds me of the years of "unlimited" with cellular phone providers.  To say unlimited would mean one could talk on their phone and/or use data 24/7 during the data period and be limited only by time in the month and maximum throughput of their connection.

But, as we know, unlimited there has never meant unlimited in any manner. Read the fine print.

VPS providers do not have fine print typically.  As log as you do not run CPU burning tasks (i.e. 100% CPU for extended periods of time) there aren't many genuine use gotchas in terms (aside from DDoS and other outright crummy behavior).

Now, if VPS providers want to boot folks for using their paid for services, they'd be out of business in no time.

They'd have a very hard time catching this stash of "data" too.  It's random, so no really identifiable pieces and you can name the files anything.

Hey, wouldn't be the first time I've been a customer on a node where disk wasn't available although my plan was to include it. :)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Sometimes the providers can't win.

People scream they want low prices with decent resources so providers have to oversell to a degree. Then you get people saying that overselling is bad and you should make sure you use all of your resources. These same people will then complain, openly, about the service being poor.. then hop to the next provider.

"I WANT LOADS OF RAM AND SPACE AND I WANT TO PAY YOU $5 A YEAR FOR IT. DEADPOOL IF YOU CANT DO IT LULZ"

Have a word with yourself.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"I WANT LOADS OF RAM AND SPACE AND I WANT TO PAY YOU $5 A YEAR FOR IT. DEADPOOL IF YOU CANT DO IT LULZ"

No one started truly wanting say 2GB of RAM + 50GB of disk + 2TB of transit.  (well realistic folks didn't).

Sly providers created the largest packages they could and slowly ratcheted up the specs.  It was 512MB, then 1GB, then 2GB, now 3GB+.  The market didn't dictate that, cutthroat corporate serial killers did that.

I stopped buying large RAM plans on the low end because providers couldn't deliver it with any real performance.

Disk is arguably the single weak link in the entire low end house of cards.  Moreso than RAM, since idle VPSes aren't using much RAM.  But, they can and more often do use their disk space. :)

rds100

Verified Provider
Really, if you want guaranteed non oversold resources why not choose a proper host? Pay the additional charges and get a descent KVM and purchase exactly what you require, the way it is meant to be done?
Are you implying that KVM VPSes can't be oversold? Because i don't agree with such statement.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Any VPS platform can be oversold and already has been by someone.  Limited resources coupled with creativity will always prevail while pursuing monetary gains.

Jack

No one started truly wanting say 2GB of RAM + 50GB of disk + 2TB of transit.  (well realistic folks didn't).

Sly providers created the largest packages they could and slowly ratcheted up the specs.  It was 512MB, then 1GB, then 2GB, now 3GB+.  The market didn't dictate that, cutthroat corporate serial killers did that.

I stopped buying large RAM plans on the low end because providers couldn't deliver it with any real performance.

Disk is arguably the single weak link in the entire low end house of cards.  Moreso than RAM, since idle VPSes aren't using much RAM.  But, they can and more often do use their disk space. :)
CVPS Started 2GB/$7/mo so everyone followed.. 

Why would someone sit and sell 256 for $7/mo when can go get 2GB/$7/mo? or even 3GB/$7/mo now.. 

jcaleb

I did a similar thing with DireVPS. But not random, I uploaded media files from my desktop. This tutorial is cool!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why would someone sit and sell 256 for $7/mo when can go get 2GB/$7/mo? or even 3GB/$7/mo now.. 

Well you asked :)

Because there is a difference in selling something you have and can provide vs. selling something you may have and certainly don't want to provide.

By my math, if you are following the CVPS cash cow, the 2GB plan price point is down to around $2 a month.  Let me know when you figure out how that math works :)  Clue: it doesn't.

Now imagine if 25% of the customers actually started using their resources :)

Ash

Are you implying that KVM VPSes can't be oversold? Because i don't agree with such statement.
As i always say HDD cant be oversold, with KVM/SolusVM at least. And even with KSM, you can only ever oversell a GB or so of RAM and its not really worth the CPU overhead it creates. Just my thoughts.

Jack

Well you asked :)

Because there is a difference in selling something you have and can provide vs. selling something you may have and certainly don't want to provide.

By my math, if you are following the CVPS cash cow, the 2GB plan price point is down to around $2 a month.  Let me know when you figure out how that math works :)  Clue: it doesn't.

Now imagine if 25% of the customers actually started using their resources :)
That's stupid at $2/mo, $7/mo is actually a decent price to spec ratio where as $2/mo is just ... 

You have CVPS's solus DB don't you? I swear I saw an 'ATL' box with 200 odd VMs on?

Note: All CVPS nodes are 32GB E3's ...  :popcorn:

peterw

If I need 2GB of RAM I do need decent CPU und IO loads too. Overselling is working because people who bought 100GB shared hosting accounts now buy 2GB vps to run Apache and MySQL on it. They do only use 200-300MB of RAM but they think they need the 2000MB RAM package. Overselling customer meets overselling host.

rds100

Verified Provider
As i always say HDD cant be oversold, with KVM/SolusVM at least. And even with KSM, you can only ever oversell a GB or so of RAM and its not really worth the CPU overhead it creates. Just my thoughts.

lvcreate --virtualsize 1T --size 5G --snapshot --name something vg1

Will create a 1T logical volume which can only use 5GB real space. But to the customer it looks like 1TB.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Note: All CVPS nodes are 32GB E3's ...

Oh, I long thought they were.

The head of CVPS was on here claiming that ATL box(es) were 128GB servers.  I can't say either way, but I highly suspect that is false.

| nodeid | name    | vservers | ram          |

+--------+---------+----------+--------------+

|    110 | atl2    |      183 |          372 |

|    109 | atl1    |      161 |          317 |

Is $7/mo for 2GB sustainable? In a massive underuse scenario.  I don't expect providers to pack a node 1-for-1 accounts vs. real RAM.  A 32GB of RAM server = 16 2GB accounts  --- then factor underuse... 50 2GB accounts gives you roughly 3-to-1 sold vs. real RAM. 

$7 x  50 accounts @2GB = $350 / server

compared to:

$4 (mixed avg income CVPS) x 183 accounts @2GB = $732 / server

Seems like #winning with CVPS.  But, 3-4 times customers competing for resources.  3-4 times more support.  3-4 times more pi$$ed off customers.

I'm still over here in reality with pricing that is something like:

256MB = $2-3/mo

512MB = $4-5/mo

1GB = $7-10/mo

2GB = $10-15/mo

Anything above those is trouble unless you are running huge RAM servers and know how to manage the servers very well.

Mind you, I am not a provider, just an often unimpressed buyer.

rds100

Verified Provider
And to continue about the RAM. Here is an example from a mostly idle test KVM machine i have. This is what is seen inside the VM:

top - 13:21:23 up 22:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Tasks:  52 total,   1 running,  51 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie

Cpu(s):  0.0%us,  0.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.7%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si, 0.0%st

Mem:    514728k total,    85604k used,   429124k free,    19556k buffers

Swap:   498680k total,        0k used,   498680k free,    50376k cached

On the node the KVM process for this VM has vsize of 584868 KB and RSS of  96652KB.

So this 512MB KVM virtual machine is consuming slightly less than 100MB real RAM on the node.

amuck-landowner