amuck-landowner

Reserving Disk Space you Purchased from the Oversold VPS providers

JDiggity

Keywords make a profit.  I am not doing this to just break even.  I need to make profit.  I have always asked for LEB KVM providers to provide me thier magic formula for making money.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Keywords make a profit.  I am not doing this to just break even.  I need to make profit.  I have always asked for LEB KVM providers to provide me thier magic formula for making money.
MAGIC!

I'm only doing my prices temporarily, but with owning the equipment and my low colo rate it still nets a decent amount. I'm planning to double prices in the near future on my KVM plans though.

JDiggity

Just priced out a rented server.

2x E5620 (16 threads)

4 x 1tb disks

32gb ram

1gb  uplink

30tb bandwidth

30 ip's

$416.30 for that server. 

+1 extra ip $1.50

need extra ip as need one for the server itself.

alone each of the containers in KVM would have to be $13.92 on this machine right now.

Putting 30 vps on raid 10 on 4 disks?  not even gonna start with the low i/o I expect from this machine.

Just don't see it.

SkylarM

Verified Provider

2x E5620 (16 threads)

4 x 1tb disks

32gb ram

1gb  uplink

30tb bandwidth

30 ip's

$416.30 for that server. 

+1 extra ip $1.50

alone each of the containers in KVM would have to be $13.92 on this machine right now.

Putting 30 vps on raid 10 on 4 disks?  not even gonna start with the low i/o I expect from this machine.

Just don't see it.
Eh I look at profit margins different because I own the equipment. You end up spending a buttload more renting than owning

Server equipment isn't anything fancy yet, working on that :) Dual Xeon L5520 36GB ram 4x2TB disks

Datacenter is GoRack, but I'm not with gorack directly -- separate network and such. Have 4 servers and a /24 worth of IP space at the moment. Anyways, back on topic:

The super-budget end market is based off the assumption that (using basically a random number here, don't use this as a baseline for any services from any provider, no way to know who does what without a database leak *cough cvps*)50% or more of the client base won't come anywhere close to using all of their resources, and balancing around those that DO use their resources. While I agree the low end market needs to be kicked up and not really exist in the capacity that it does today, I don't think this is necessarily the best approach at doing that.

If you are after saving a quick buck whilst having the resources you are paying for, find a solid provider that WILL work with you if you end up needing to use those resources based off of their overselling methodology. A provider that simply says "we don't expect anyone to use this, so if you do you get the boot" isn't worthwhile to host your data with. Appropriate balancing and monitoring can easily deal with clients that DO use their resources, without causing a negative impact -- those are the providers you want to be with anyways because they know what the heck they are doing (for the most part) anyways. 

Some overselling, when possible, is almost guaranteed to happen (at least with OpenVZ, less so with KVM and so forth) as it's somewhat logical to do it within reason (talking like at most 20-30% overcommitting of resources max) -- the low end scene has just tried to mash too much into one space on rented servers. if you own your equipment, and you don't have a huge overhead on costs then lower cost per VPS resource is easier to do with minimal overselling simply due to the costs, you aren't "forcing" yourself to over-commit to huge margins to compensate for that $300/m rental fee.

I've been on both ends of the marketing scheme. Renting equipment and owning equipment. Doing it right with owned equipment it ends up fairly reasonable profit margin wise. I would NEVER go back to renting servers and trying to compete in the low end market though, that's just attempting suicide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
You can oversell KVM disk space as well using thin provisioned lvm though won't work with the majority for example who use Solus

JDiggity

Still @SkylarM,  still even at $7.00 a month for a 1gb kvm  with your 36 gb ram leaving 2gb for your hostnode. 

that is 238.00 a month

lets figure $0.83 per ip address = 28.22

so now were down to 209.78 a month

$10.00 for solusvm slave license  = 199.78

cost of rack space $75  = 124.78

now that is just what is brought in monthly.  What about cost of hardware? assume this comes with 36gb memory.  Other wise it becomes more bleek

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL160-G6-Quad-Core-2-26GHz-4GB-4x-1-TB-Server-1U-NEW-/350364852451?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item51935f60e3

$2299.00 so lets spread that out over 24 months that is $95.79 per month

Leaving $28.99 a month

Just not seeing where the profit is really at.  That wouldn't even pay for me to eat.

earl

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Still @SkylarM,  still even at $7.00 a month for a 1gb kvm  with your 36 gb ram leaving 2gb for your hostnode. 

that is 238.00 a month

lets figure $0.83 per ip address = 28.22

so now were down to 209.78 a month

$10.00 for solusvm slave license  = 199.78

cost of rack space $75  = 124.78

now that is just what is brought in monthly.  What about cost of hardware? assume this comes with 36gb memory.  Other wise it becomes more bleek

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL160-G6-Quad-Core-2-26GHz-4GB-4x-1-TB-Server-1U-NEW-/350364852451?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item51935f60e3

$2299.00 so lets spread that out over 24 months that is $95.79 per month

Leaving $28.99 a month

Just not seeing where the profit is really at.  That wouldn't even pay for me to eat.
I can't exactly tell you the details of my colo pricing, but it's nowhere near that bad ;) hardware prices nowhere near that either. I got a bunch of 1u Dual Xeons for $600 including disks. As far as KVM, it's introductory only. I won't be offering KVM at that rate for long, more to see movement in the area before going more full scale.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I can't exactly tell you the details of my colo pricing, but it's nowhere near that bad ;) hardware prices nowhere near that either. I got a bunch of 1u Dual Xeons for $600 including disks. As far as KVM, it's introductory only. I won't be offering KVM at that rate for long, more to see movement in the area before going more full scale.
I saw those the other night :) They're pretty nice little units.

If he's in gorack he's looking at like...$500/m for a full rack and 100mbit/sec. We priced out with them but they're so scared of DDOS we decided no.

Francisco

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Excellent idea. I'm thinking of also writing a small daemon for "reserving" all that memory that you bought but don't use.
Here ya go!  Have a lot of fun:

Code:
/*
 * memwaste - a non-deterministic memory waster
 * Public domain.  Absolutely no warranty.
 */

#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdint.h>
#include <stddef.h>
#include <stdbool.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/mman.h>
#include <sys/queue.h>

#ifndef PAGESIZE
# define PAGESIZE 4096
#endif

#define KB		(size_t)(1024)
#define MB		(size_t)(1024 * KB)

#define UPPERBOUND	(size_t)(4096 * MB)

struct page {
	void *base;
	time_t allocat;
	size_t length;
	LIST_ENTRY(page) entries;
};

LIST_HEAD(pagehead, page) pages;

time_t currtime;
size_t total_alloc;

struct page *
page_alloc(void)
{
	struct page *out = calloc(sizeof(*out), 1);
	unsigned char *it, *base;

out->allocat = currtime;

out->length = (rand() % PAGESIZE) * PAGESIZE;
	if ((size_t)(out->length + total_alloc) > (size_t) UPPERBOUND)
	{
		free(out);
		return NULL;
	}

out->base = mmap(NULL, out->length, PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE | MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0);

/* couldn't map the page, try again later once a GC run happens */
	if (out->base == ((void *) -1))
	{
		free(out);
		return NULL;
	}

/* ensure the memory manager actually allocates the pages as RSS by touching
	   each page. */
	for (base = it = out->base; (it - base) < out->length; it += PAGESIZE)
		*it = rand() % 255;

/* for extra evilness, we try to ensure these pages cannot be swapped. */
	mlock(out->base, out->length);
	total_alloc += out->length;

LIST_INSERT_HEAD(&pages, out, entries);

return out;
}

void
page_free(struct page *page)
{
	/* unlock and unmap the pages */
	munlock(page->base, page->length);
	munmap(page->base, page->length);

total_alloc -= page->length;

LIST_REMOVE(page, entries);

free(page);
}

void
page_gc(void)
{
	struct page *p1, *p2;

for (p1 = pages.lh_first, p2 = p1 != NULL ? p1->entries.le_next : NULL;
		p1 != NULL;
		p1 = p2, p2 = p1 != NULL ? p1->entries.le_next : NULL)
	{
		if (currtime - p1->allocat > 60)
			page_free(p1);
	}
}

void
page_alloc_many(void)
{
	int i;
	struct page *page;

for (i = rand() % 30; i > 0; i--)
	{
		page = page_alloc();
		if (page == NULL)
			return;
	}
}

int
main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
	(void) argc;
	(void) argv;

#ifndef DEBUG
	daemon(0, 0);
#endif

while (true)
	{
		currtime = time(NULL);

page_alloc_many();
		usleep(500000);
		page_gc();

#ifdef DEBUG
		fprintf(stderr, "total memory allocated: %zu bytes, upper bound: %zu bytes\n", total_alloc, (size_t) UPPERBOUND);
#endif
	}
}

JDiggity

@SkylarM, Those must be used units and not new.  I am sure I could get the cost of hardware down going used with used disks.  Are those hardware raid?

I see the need for higher returns.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Well this is definitely going to cause the destruction of some hosts seriously overselling.

@ The L5420's are good units, even if they are going dirt cheap at places don't mean they won't perform up to spec.

However i do hope your not using used drives. ;|

Ash

2x E5620 (16 threads)

4 x 1tb disks

32gb ram

1gb  uplink

30tb bandwidth

30 ip's

$416.30 for that server. 

+1 extra ip $1.50

Just don't see it.
Your getting ripped off.

amuck-landowner