amuck-landowner

Robert Clarke DDoS'd Brings the Internet Down...

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
Pretty sure Tinet dumped Avante/ChrisK because of this.

What is the back story? What was Robert hosting on their network that was targeted?
GTT did not drop us in the end.

They had a pretty good blend of bandwidth before they switched to GTT/Tinet single homed.

http://bgp.he.net/AS36137

From IRC last night, all his IPs were getting attacked. 
We are on AS40440 now.  We are adding additional carriers other than GTT, of course.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
GTT did not drop us in the end.

We are on AS40440 now.  We are adding additional carriers other than GTT, of course.
Welcome back!

Yeah your corporate changes fubar'd me...  

GTT gobbling those overages or what?  Everything properly tamped down now?

Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming big pipe DDOS mitigation / traffic cleaning.  ETA on public chatter about that?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Robert Clarke...

I seem to recall him as someone on LET who was 16 and wanted to start a VPS hosting company.  He was marginally better than, say, DepotVPS_Shane and some of the others.  But there was some drama I didn't follow.

What's the summary version of The Robert Clarke Story: Tonight on Lifetime ?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Robert Clarke...

I seem to recall him as someone on LET who was 16 and wanted to start a VPS hosting company.  He was marginally better than, say, DepotVPS_Shane and some of the others.  But there was some drama I didn't follow.

What's the summary version of The Robert Clarke Story: Tonight on Lifetime ?
Here's one summary

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
And fighting hacking attempts with DDoSes is the right course of action.

I will keep it in mind.
Nah - you gotta keep in mind the company this kid hangs with.  Pretty much everything he does either ends with some skid getting pissed and DDoSing him, or some skid getting pissed and trying to get him raided.  I don't endorse DDoS as a method of retaliation - but I'm not going to lie and say I don't find it to be poetic justice, either.

maounique

Haha, yes I remember the story when he was on IRC writing about an ongoing raid, I learned a new American word then, swatted :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Also related: nLayer in Seattle (and CNServers/RamNode) had shit hit the fan. I'm sure what he did was just let the attack get absorbed by CNServers. Which was surely fun...

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Looks like part of that was Tinet as well (so we'll just say GTT). I'm not sure that was related to the Clarke stuff, unless someone have info otherwise?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Looks like part of that was Tinet as well (so we'll just say GTT). I'm not sure that was related to the Clarke stuff, unless someone have info otherwise?
It's possible if some providers dropped their BGP sessions and it ended up coming over someone else instead.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I thought it was over by the time that happened?
Oooh the recent belch that CN had you mean?

From what they said they had problems with nlayer. Be it clarke related I dunno :(

So, I don't think we got to the bottom of it. What happened with this? Did Clarke come to terms with the guy or did he find enough filtering?

Francisco

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Oooh the recent belch that CN had you mean?

From what they said they had problems with nlayer. Be it clarke related I dunno :(

So, I don't think we got to the bottom of it. What happened with this? Did Clarke come to terms with the guy or did he find enough filtering?

Francisco
Yeah I meant yesterday's packet loss. I don't know what happened with Clarke and kaniini, et al, but I think that was resolved before the Seattle issues.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are NOT threats ():

If you want to waltz, say so and I'll make sure Sal reconsiders your employment by the end of it.

I'll go provision myself a new VM on your solus in a little bit.

I'm not sure if it translates properly but there's a very simple saying around here, "Peace of mind is a wonderful thing".
What the heck is that "block" of text about Mao?  I've been hiding under a rock for past several days.

And, what's up with your tweaked username?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yeah I meant yesterday's packet loss. I don't know what happened with Clarke and kaniini, et al, but I think that was resolved before the Seattle issues.
Aaah.

CN posted on WHT that it was an nlayer issue and nothing more.

They did confirm that they've been working to move away from NTT, though.

Francisco

amuck-landowner