Not open for further replies.

Steven F

Verified Provider
Robin Williams died in an apparent suicide, more details to follow. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What a shame. 

He was about to release multiple new things it seems.

Depression is nutrition (lack thereof) based.  Shame that someone with Mr. Williams influence and wealth didn't have better advisors.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_-dWBECdA

Sort of a morbid song he did, all things considered.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Never was a fan myself, but he seemed like an all-around good guy.  A real shame.

The one movie I did like him in was this gem and personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I426JibpYUQ

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Not a big fan either. I did enjoy "Good Will Hunting", but not so much because he had a role in the movie, though. It's just a good movie ;)

nunim

VPS Junkie
A sad day indeed :(

Robin Williams was truly a giant in the comedy world and I'm sure his presence will be sorely missed for many years to come.

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
From what I understand he had a lifelong struggle, sad story indeed. Kinda shows that all the money and fame don't mean much towards happiness/mental health.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebsLSu3Igk

Of course, it's from a movie he played in... but still. Relevant.

Jacob

Verified Provider
Don't know why but depression / suicide seems common with comedians, maybe they laugh on the outside and cry on the inside.

Stephen Fry attempted suicide last year, but yeah it is devastating, It feels surreal as he seemed like such a genuinely happy guy.

AThomasHowe

Stephen Fry attempted suicide last year, but yeah it is devastating, It feels surreal as he seemed like such a genuinely happy guy.
You should watch his documentary from 2006:

Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGDl6-lyfMY

Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF7yiQxn35I

Both an hour long but both very good. He has attempted suicide many times as a "side effect" of the lows of his manic periods (he has manic depression aka bipolar disorder).

He does also have similar manic episodes sometimes but where the emotions he is over-run with are pretty positive (or at least numbing) - like when he ran away from home with a credit card and stuff. Not as black and white.

Imam86

It's very sad to hear the news, the reason why he passed away.

Many of his movies that have inspired me. :(

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You do come out with some crap at times but this... this is both distasteful and insulting to all those with mental health issues.
Bahaha I am not here for a popularity contest or some woe is us droll festival.  I know and have known plenty of folks juiced up on pharma mental health meds.  Never saw any of them cured by the stuff.  Managed sure, but still a big mess and a quarter twitch from something bad.

Dispute it if you may.   Bust out some happy pills and have a party.  All the pharma, it sure has done wonders for the depressed, neurotic, delusional, defective, etc.  It has cured what?  ZERO.   It's throwing a wet blanket on a fire at best and hoping such compounds tamp down the bio-chemistry lack of balance.   It doesn't address the core problem of the bio chemistry and the many things dietary, exercise, environmental, etc. that contribute to such.

Unsure when everything became so politically correct.   But folks that suffer from mental health issues we can believe they are defective and give them special classifications and dole outs or we can cut the crap for vast majority of them and get to brass tacks and make them functional in simple and economical ways.  Yes, there are folks who are truly unsalvageable / defective and aside from institutionalizing them or chemically disabling  them further not much that can be reversed.

I won't go on a rant about all the crazy criminality folks on the psychotropic meds have gone on.  But there are tons and frankly, pharma should be held accountable.

Is it so foreign today to folks that your body needs proper nutrition or things wobble out of control?  ADD, ADHD, etc.  we didn't have such designer diagnosises when I was a young lad.  We had some of these spectrum disorder folks no doubt.  But was nothing compared to today.  Why is that?  Were doctors just more incompetent? Or are we eating far less nutritious food and failing to get basic nutrition while ingesting masses of poision, plastic, etc. ?

Plenty of books, life studies, research papers from academia, philosophies about depression.

May I recommend:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=depression+and+nutritional+deficiencies

First for me:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/

Indian J Psychiatry. 2008 Apr-Jun; 50(2): 77–82.

doi:  10.4103/0019-5545.42391

PMCID: PMC2738337

Understanding nutrition, depression and mental illnesses

T. S. Sathyanarayana Rao, M. R. Asha,1B. N. Ramesh,2 and K. S. Jagannatha Rao2

Author information ► Copyright and License information ►

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:

INTRODUCTION
Few people are aware of the connection between nutrition and depression while they easily understand the connection between nutritional deficiencies and physical illness. Depression is more typically thought of as strictly biochemical-based or emotionally-rooted. On the contrary, nutrition can play a key role in the onset as well as severity and duration of depression. Many of the easily noticeable food patterns that precede depression are the same as those that occur during depression. These may include poor appetite, skipping meals, and a dominant desire for sweet foods.[1] Nutritional neuroscience is an emerging discipline shedding light on the fact that nutritional factors are intertwined with human cognition, behavior, and emotions.

The most common mental disorders that are currently prevalent in numerous countries are depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).[2] The dietary intake pattern of the general population in many Asian and American countries reflects that they are often deficient in many nutrients, especially essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids.[3] A notable feature of the diets of patients suffering from mental disorders is the severity of deficiency in these nutrients.[3] Studies have indicated that daily supplements of vital nutrients are often effective in reducing patients' symptoms.[4] Supplements containing amino acids have also been found to reduce symptoms, as they are converted to neurotransmitters which in turn alleviate depression and other mental health problems.[4] On the basis of accumulating scientific evidence, an effective therapeutic intervention is emerging, namely nutritional supplement/treatment. These may be appropriate for controlling and to some extent, preventing depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, eating disorders and anxiety disorders, attention deficit disorder/attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD/ADHD), autism, and addiction.[4] Most prescription drugs, including the common antidepressants lead to side effects.[4] This usually causes the patients to skip taking their medications. Such noncompliance is a common occurrence encountered by psychiatrists. An important point to remember here is that, such noncompliant patients who have mental disorders are at a higher risk for committing suicide or being institutionalized. In some cases, chronic use or higher doses may lead to drug toxicity, which may become life threatening to the patient.[4] An alternate and effective way for psychiatrists to overcome this noncompliance is to familiarize themselves about alternative or complementary nutritional therapies. Although further research needs to be carried out to determine the best recommended doses of most nutritional supplements in the cases of certain nutrients, psychiatrists can recommend doses of dietary supplements based on previous and current efficacious studies and then adjust the doses based on the results obtained by closely observing the changes in the patient.[4]

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
No, you can't.

You can take your crap and quackjuice elsewhere. You're disrespectful and full of shit. Just because you live in a world full of tinfoil hats, the government trying to eat you from the inside out and a land where Chris is your love child doesn't mean the rest of us have to listen/read it.

If you've nothing nice to say, piss off out of these threads and back to your cvps circlejerk corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner