amuck-landowner

Running your own mail server

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
thanks.. how long does this usually take? does colo crossing supports swip?
Hearing back from Google?  Could be anywhere from a week to six months.  I've _never_ had decent reply turnaround from them unless it involved giving them money.

As far as ColoCrossing and SWIP... that's going to be a bit more difficult, regardless of whether they'll do the SWIP for you.  The problem there is that I've noticed a rather high percentage of abuse (both spam and network-related) coming from CC IP ranges - to the point that I've straight-up blacklisted a bunch of them from even being able to reach our clients.  It's very possible that their ranges may already be blacklisted at major email providers due to past spam complaints.

Velocity-Servers is a good example of this.  Their SpamHaus listing is pretty nasty ()http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/velocity-servers.net - including several ROKSO listings), and seeing as how they're on CC IP Space (http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=216.246.49.27?showDetails=true&showARIN=false&ext=netref2), you're going to have a hard time getting your assigned IP whitelisted anywhere.

Best course of action if you're sending emails that have to get through - either run your mail server on a provider with 1) clean netblocks, and 2) a solid history of actively dealing with spam;  or just use AmazonSES.  SES is fairly cheap (we send out something like 50-70k emails a month, and it costs less than 5$), they're whitelisted for Google, Yahoo, and other major mail providers, and it's real easy to work with.

grayfuz

thanks aldryic, i recently checked my ip if it is included in blacklisted ip thankful it not. does dkim and spf helps?

DragonDF

Nice tuto. Specially because it runs in a low RAM VPS.

I think it could be a good idea to test if your messages are being received by big providers, specially Hotmail and Yahoo.

;)

perennate

Verified Provider
Nice tuto. Specially because it runs in a low RAM VPS.

I think it could be a good idea to test if your messages are being received by big providers, specially Hotmail and Yahoo.

;)
Hotmail is a pain because they often silently discard email. I'm surprised anyone finds it usable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DragonDF

I do not know where you live, but where I live, I think at least 60% of the people use Hotmail (I think because in the past it was the unique way to use MSN).

I have 2 hotmail accounts. But I usually use Gmail. :)

ADDISON

Excellent tutorial. In the last two weeks I struggled myself to understand how the emails are sent (MTA - MDA - MUA) and still finding more and more stuff. This is the main reason I came on this page and subscribed to your Forum.

MTA: Postfix, Exim 4, Courier New Mail, Sendmail. Most of you are using Postfix

MDA: Procmail, Sieve, Maildrop. I am forced to used Procmail because Virtualmin/Webmin like it. But using Dovecot a dovecot-sieve can be used. There a migration script from procmail to sieve.

As I understood right MTA deals with SpamAssasssin than passes the email to MDA for dropping them in the right folders. After that Dovecot is dealing with Email Agent (MUA) for getting the email into the user computer. I really appreciate if some of you will describe the full process of sending/receiving email. Thank you.

For VPS Enthusiast I appreciate if you provide a solution for filtering viruses. My test VPS will deal with Windows systems and I have to do this. Can you help me to understand Amavisd-new idea? They pretend ClamAV and SpamAssassin could be queried by Amavisd without having them loaded? Virtualmin is dealing with ClamAV and SpamAssasing and I guess it is being done by Postfix, then passed to Procmail then into boxes. 

Thank you for your time in providing a potential solution for viruses.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Would anyone want to help me porting this tutorial to CentOS?
I think some would like to use CentOS instead of Debian/Ubuntu.

amuck-landowner