amuck-landowner

Running your own vestacp instance

nunim

VPS Junkie
Unrelated to the Vesta discussion, however it's still working rock solid for me, if you're looking to setup a BIND cluster why couldn't you just rsync the changed zone files every 5 minutes?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
@wlanboy

Is there any option to automate this process? I mean when I will add an addon domain, slave servers will sync the zone info automatically?
Not for new domains. Only for existing ones.

Unrelated to the Vesta discussion, however it's still working rock solid for me, if you're looking to setup a BIND cluster why couldn't you just rsync the changed zone files every 5 minutes?
He can use dns master-slave configuration or your rsync way.

But what he was asking for is a way to tell the slave dns that a new domain was created.

matt[scrdspd]

SecuredSpeed
Verified Provider
I have been playing with Vesta lately and I must say that I like it a lot. Very nice panel with a simple clean interface.

How would one go about modifying the domain name for an existing Vesta domain?

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to be having trouble with my Vesta Install.  The web end of things works great, but the e-mail is a bit touch and go.  I've got it running on a Crissic VPS (2GB RAM, Ubuntu 12.04.03 x64)

In my exim4 mainlog, I am repeatedly getting an error about  the remote host is the local host: (server.domain.com).

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W <= [email protected] U=root P=local S=29302

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W remote host address is the local host: server.domain.com

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000313-DF <= [email protected] U=root P=local S=658

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W == [email protected] R=dnslookup defer (-1): remote host address is the local host

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W Frozen

I've changed my actual FQDN in that little snippet, but the errors are all the same.  I think cron, or some system process is trying to send out mails, but unfortunately I don't know enough about exim to be able to figure out what to do next.  Anyone here have an idea?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000313-DF <= [email protected] U=root P=local S=658
2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W == [email protected] R=dnslookup defer (-1): remote host address is the local host

2014-01-17 02:42:27 1W444R-000311-8W Frozen
Please check your DNS settings.

That is a wrong or missing MX record - check if there is a MX record for server.domain.com - and if it is pointing to the right IP.

So I setup my FQDN as a web directory in VestaCP, which created the MX records and whatnot, as well as tried to setup a "root" account for that FQDN.

Now I'm getting this in my exim logs, and it's still erroring out:

2014-01-17 14:24:11 1W4F1P-0001Q4-OU ** [email protected]: Unrouteable address

2014-01-17 14:24:11 1W4F1X-0001kd-Rj <= <> R=1W4F1P-0001Q4-OU U=Debian-exim P=local S=7648

2014-01-17 14:24:11 1W4F1P-0001Q4-OU Completed

2014-01-17 14:24:11 1W4F1X-0001kd-Rj ** [email protected]: Unrouteable address

2014-01-17 14:24:11 1W4F1X-0001kd-Rj Frozen (delivery error message)

wlanboy

Content Contributer
/etc/localdomains doesn't exist on my machine.
So now we have to try to debug exim4 to see where it fails...

Please run:

exim -bt -d [email protected] 2>&1

My output is:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Testing [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Considering [email protected]
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
routing [email protected]
--------> dnslookup router <--------
local_part=root domain=localhost.localdomain
checking domains
search_open: dsearch "/etc/exim4/domains/"
search_find: file="/etc/exim4/domains/"
key="localhost.localdomain" partial=-1 affix=NULL starflags=0
LRU list:
5/etc/exim4/domains/
End
internal_search_find: file="/etc/exim4/domains/"
type=dsearch key="localhost.localdomain"
file lookup required for localhost.localdomain
in /etc/exim4/domains/
lookup failed
localhost.localdomain in "dsearch;/etc/exim4/domains/"? no (end of list)
localhost.localdomain in "!+local_domains"? yes (end of list)
calling dnslookup router
dnslookup router called for [email protected]
domain = localhost.localdomain
DNS lookup of localhost.localdomain (MX) gave HOST_NOT_FOUND
returning DNS_NOMATCH
dnslookup router declined for [email protected]
"more" is false: skipping remaining routers
no more routers
[email protected] is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

So if we look at /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template:

domainlist local_domains = dsearch;/etc/exim4/domains/

So look at this dir:

/etc/exim4/domains# ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 7 16:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Nov 23 04:58 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Dec 7 16:12 devboxindallas.ml -> /home/*/conf/mail/devboxindallas.ml

So I added a new mail domain to my VestCP:

vestacp-localhost.jpg

And it is running:

2014-01-18 04:01:23 1W4RmN-00005q-Cn => root <[email protected]> R=localuser T=local_delivery
2014-01-18 04:01:23 1W4RmN-00005q-Cn Completed

I know not that perfect solution but at least it is working...

PS:

If you want to remove all frozen mails from the queue just enter:

Code:
exiqgrep -z -i | xargs exim -Mrm

Thanks!  I'll check to see that this helps move things along.  It seems to (in that the test to [email protected] ran in the terminal didn't panic), but I'll have to check the logs to make sure everything is working right.  Ahh, that's a bit of a load off my mind, thank you so much!

nehafarzana80

I have just installed VestaCP on my another VPS (my 2nd installation). But, somehow my website is opening when I am entering the VPS IP on my browser (i.e; http://mydomain.com

I didn't have such problem on my other installation. How can I fix this issue?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'm actually thinking about deploying some paid web hosting using Vesta. It's actually really amazing, and stable!

mehargags

Hi,

I have a Server running 2 web domains, I'm facing Mail delivery issues with them, typically php generated mails are either not generating sometimes, and sometimes they are landing in spam on Gmail/Hotmail.

Both hosted domains are using Google Apps for incoming mails

and this server just shoots out system (PHP) generated email only.

Primaririly I setup my hostaname as "domain1.com" & created local mail domains on VestaCP too. but thought this was leading to some local mail devliery confusions, so I changed my hostname to "cloud.domain1com"  while the rDNS record is still pointing as domain1.com to my IP 168.x.x.xx2

I'm still not assured if I m doing it alright, and want to be absolutely sure that mails are being delivered properly as these sites do a lot of order processing online.

Kinldy Help me a solution

mojeda

Hi,

I have a Server running 2 web domains, I'm facing Mail delivery issues with them, typically php generated mails are either not generating sometimes, and sometimes they are landing in spam on Gmail/Hotmail.

Both hosted domains are using Google Apps for incoming mails

and this server just shoots out system (PHP) generated email only.

Primaririly I setup my hostaname as "domain1.com" & created local mail domains on VestaCP too. but thought this was leading to some local mail devliery confusions, so I changed my hostname to "cloud.domain1com"  while the rDNS record is still pointing as domain1.com to my IP 168.x.x.xx2

I'm still not assured if I m doing it alright, and want to be absolutely sure that mails are being delivered properly as these sites do a lot of order processing online.

Kinldy Help me a solution

Make sure your server is not blacklisted http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

If you're just having the server send email and not receive email then you probably don't want to have mail boxes setup for the domains in Vesta CP.

I'm confused what you mean when you say "php generated mails are either not generating sometimes,"  do you mean to say they aren't being sent at all (or sometimes it doesn't send).

If you're sending php mail using one of the Google apps hosted domains you may need to modify your SPF record on the domain to include your server's IP to make sure the mail doesn't go to spam.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMMediaLtd

Verified Provider
Vesta is great for people who need a control panel without needing the proprietory versions and is great for lower end containers too

amuck-landowner