amuck-landowner

Seagate brings out 6TB HDD

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Seagate sub LaCie has pre-announced a 6TB near line disk drive from its parent and it doesn't appear to use the slow write shingled magnetic recording technology.

LaCie's news came out with the NAB event in Las Vegas, which opened on Friday. There are details of the drive on Seagate's website, although the drive has not been announced and is not yet available.

The Enterprise Capacity drive has these features:

• 7,200rpm spin speed,
  • 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6TB capacity points,
  • 128MB cache,
  • encryption option with Secure Instant Erase or SED FIPS 140-2 option,
  • SAS 12Gbit/s and SATA 6Gbit/s interface options and
  • a 25 per cent increase in areal density.
More here. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/07/seagates_six_bytes_of_terror/

Thoughts? Criticism? Pros of getting bigger storage comparing to smaller storage and cons?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Pros:

• Larger storage pools.
  • Yo mane by disk is bigger than your disk
Cons:

• Price will probably be high
  • Oh no! My drive failed. There goes 6TB of data.

I'm sure someone else can provide a much better pros/cons list than myself.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Pop a couple of those in RAID1 and sounds like a nice backup/media server. Count me in!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah mighty big data loss.

Hoping Seagate has upped the quality control.

Total shit that they are giving a mere 1 year warranty on the Newegg model above.   I won't be buying until they stand behind products for at least several years of warranty.

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
RAID 10 it, with 3 disks per RAID 1 mirror set. With 6TB of data to have to recover, the chances of a URE in the mirror pair go up DRASTICALLY, and that would so not be good. That or RAID 16. (RAID 6 made up of RAID 1 mirrors). Yay Redundancy!

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Somewhere in a drawer I still have the "giant" (at the time) 60MB Seagate ST-277 I bought in 1989. :p
Hmm, is it the size of a small shoe box and weighs the same as a small car? If so, got one of them too.

amuck-landowner