amuck-landowner

Searching for a screenshot tool

GoodHosting

+1 for Greenshot.  It's a wonderful tool with a wide variety of plugins for sources and such, as well as destinations to upload.  The FTP support, as well as dropbox + imgur is pretty nice out of the box.

joepie91

I normally use Owely - it's cross-platform (Windows, OS X, Linux) and allows for annotations (drawing + text). 50MB free (which is plenty unless you're a heavy user), and 1GB extra for $12/year. It's purely a hosted service, though, so won't be suitable if you want to host your images yourself.

EDIT: I should point out that after several years of very heavy usage, I'm only using some 400MB.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishaq

Verified Provider
I used LightShot previously. I've since switched to a puush proxy which is self hosted.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
+1 for ShareX.  I use that when stuck on a Windows platform.  On *nix, the only real alternative is Shutter.. which has great features for actually getting the screenshot, but not so much for uploading/etc afterwards.  I just use a few CLI apps chained up to take and upload screenshots now.
I was actually coming here to recommend Shutter of *nix systems.  Shutter works great to snap the shot, and click "export" and I have my default set to FTP so I literally click "export" then "go" (or whatever the 2nd button is, I forget as I'm on my Windows box right now).  I guess it's downfall would be uploading to different hosts all the time.  This works great for uploading to the same spot over and over, but I don't think it has the ability to save more than one host at a time.

joepie91

I was actually coming here to recommend Shutter of *nix systems.  Shutter works great to snap the shot, and click "export" and I have my default set to FTP so I literally click "export" then "go" (or whatever the 2nd button is, I forget as I'm on my Windows box right now).  I guess it's downfall would be uploading to different hosts all the time.  This works great for uploading to the same spot over and over, but I don't think it has the ability to save more than one host at a time.
What I personally miss there (and in many other tools), is the possibility to do cropping and basic annotation (arrows, freehand line drawing, boxes/circles).

I also don't like FTP :)

nunim

VPS Junkie
I've built my own Gyazo as someone else had done earlier in the thread.  It's pretty nice and easy to build for your own server, great for sharing, I've bound it to a hotkey and it'll post whatever selection of the screen I take.  

I still like Irfanview (I've yet to find a better overall image program) for cropping, resizing, etc. but the Gyazo clone is pretty handy for quick sharing something.

Taronyu

I've built my own Gyazo as someone else had done earlier in the thread. It's pretty nice and easy to build for your own server, great for sharing, I've bound it to a hotkey and it'll post whatever selection of the screen I take.

I still like Irfanview (I've yet to find a better overall image program) for cropping, resizing, etc. but the Gyazo clone is pretty handy for quick sharing something.
I'm sorry, I totally forgot about your email. :/ Glad you got it working in the end :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iOCEAN X7 met Tapatalk

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
What I personally miss there (and in many other tools), is the possibility to do cropping and basic annotation (arrows, freehand line drawing, boxes/circles).

I also don't like FTP :)
This is built in.  Just click "edit" ;)

joepie91

This is built in.  Just click "edit" ;)
I think I might be confusing Shutter with something else, the screenshots definitely look different from what I had in mind.

That said, Shutter seems like too many clicks-to-done for me. For somebody who makes a lot of screenshots and often with small intervals, usually during programming (which requires keeping track of a complex mental model), every click matters :)

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
I think I might be confusing Shutter with something else, the screenshots definitely look different from what I had in mind.

That said, Shutter seems like too many clicks-to-done for me. For somebody who makes a lot of screenshots and often with small intervals, usually during programming (which requires keeping track of a complex mental model), every click matters :)
I do agree there.  I certainly wish it was cut down a bit, and that the Shutter main GUI would auto-close after upload or save.  That's the biggest thing about it that gets on my nerves.

fixidixi

windows:

well i hate having a shitload of apps installed and as i already use irfanview as my image viewer and it also supports screen capture im mostly using that. or just simply alt-printscr and paste the result in an empty instance.

debian:

ive got gimp installed by default and it captures my printscr. most times i need to edit (blur,crop etc) a few things on the image before upload so i need it anyway

:)

but i see your point having an "integrated" app doing all the stuff: capture-upload-copy link to clipboard makes life so much easier and faster: however i dont post screens that much so im good with my old 'manual' method :)

amuck-landowner