Self-hosted alternative to Tinychat?

Discussion in 'Hosting Talk & Reviews' started by k0nsl, Mar 20, 2014.

1. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    ...As the title says; are there any self-hosted alternatives to Tinychat (tinychat.com)? I would really want to get that running for me and my friends.

All suggestions are welcome :)

2. HaitiBrother

HaitiBrother New Member

Feb 12, 2014
    I might whip up something like this, sounds pretty simple, but for the video, I'd probably leverage the Google Hangouts API for video.

Basically:

Write the basic chat system, have a Broadcast button that links into Google Hangouts API.

3. BrianHarrison

BrianHarrison Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Have you ever used HipChat before? We use it for our internal company chat -- works great. Works on PC, Mac and mobile (have not tried *nix). I believe you can also self-host as well.

k0nsl likes this.
  4. HalfEatenPie

HalfEatenPie The Irrational One Retired Staff

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    We also use hipchat, and this is a totally different thing to Tinychat.

Tinychat focuses on more the old AIM-style chat, and is commonly used for video and voice chatting purposes. Hipchat lacks this feature and is also not self-hosted (they require a purchased plan, but free up to 5 people).

5. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    I never used HipChat before but will have a look at it, too bad it is not self-hosted. Let's see now, okay, it does not have to be self-hosted but it would be a great plus if it was. Basically anything similar (or considerably better) to Tinychat is of interest to me. So far I have not found many good alternatives at all...although I have admittedly not looked very much, either. That's why I'm asking here he he  :D

But ya, I will look at HipChat. I just need a system with basic chat + webcam support for a group of people to be able to meet up and talk, plan and just chat. I always try to look at self-hosted stuff because it feels more "at home" for me.

6. HalfEatenPie

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    I think Camfrog has these features?  Although be wary that many providers don't allow Camfrog on their network (check their ToS).  

HipChat doesn't have webcam support.  

k0nsl likes this.
  7. 5n1p

5n1p New Member

May 16, 2013
    Have you tried this http://www.bearware.dk/ I have installed last year only to test and it has stuff you need.

8. HalfEatenPie

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    Oh also look into XMPP server with a client that supports video chat.

E.g. https://jitsi.org/

Don't know if it'll actually fully support it, but I think it's worth investigating.  

9. Shados

Shados Professional Snake Miner

May 15, 2013
    Doubt Jitsi uses XMPP for video conferencing - IIRC XEP-0272 hasn't gone anywhere yet :(.

10. HalfEatenPie

Mar 25, 2013
    HalfEatenPie
    I'm not too sure what Jitsi uses for video conferencing (I haven't really looked into the video conferencing needs really), but I know it uses XMPP.  

Maybe it uses magic :eek:

11. peterw

peterw New Member

Jun 14, 2013
  12. Gary

Gary Member

May 27, 2013
  13. BrianHarrison

BrianHarrison Member

Jan 30, 2014
    HipChat is running a self-hosted server beta -- https://www.hipchat.com/server

They come out with updates fairly regularly. Someone above posted that HipChat does not have video chat -- well now they do: https://www.hipchat.com/press

They also integrate sceen-sharing, but I haven't tried out that feature yet.

14. Tom_WebhostingUK LTD

Tom_WebhostingUK LTD New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Yes, we too use Hipchat for internal conversation. It is self runned.