amuck-landowner

Self-hosted alternative to Tinychat?

k0nsl

Bad Goy
...As the title says; are there any self-hosted alternatives to Tinychat (tinychat.com)? I would really want to get that running for me and my friends.

All suggestions are welcome :)

HaitiBrother

I might whip up something like this, sounds pretty simple, but for the video, I'd probably leverage the Google Hangouts API for video.

Basically:

Write the basic chat system, have a Broadcast button that links into Google Hangouts API.

Have you ever used HipChat before? We use it for our internal company chat -- works great. Works on PC, Mac and mobile (have not tried *nix). I believe you can also self-host as well.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Have you ever used HipChat before? We use it for our internal company chat -- works great. Works on PC, Mac and mobile (have not tried *nix). I believe you can also self-host as well.
We also use hipchat, and this is a totally different thing to Tinychat.

Tinychat focuses on more the old AIM-style chat, and is commonly used for video and voice chatting purposes. Hipchat lacks this feature and is also not self-hosted (they require a purchased plan, but free up to 5 people).

k0nsl

Bad Goy
I never used HipChat before but will have a look at it, too bad it is not self-hosted. Let's see now, okay, it does not have to be self-hosted but it would be a great plus if it was. Basically anything similar (or considerably better) to Tinychat is of interest to me. So far I have not found many good alternatives at all...although I have admittedly not looked very much, either. That's why I'm asking here he he  :D

But ya, I will look at HipChat. I just need a system with basic chat + webcam support for a group of people to be able to meet up and talk, plan and just chat. I always try to look at self-hosted stuff because it feels more "at home" for me.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I never used HipChat before but will have a look at it, too bad it is not self-hosted. Let's see now, okay, it does not have to be self-hosted but it would be a great plus if it was. Basically anything similar (or considerably better) to Tinychat is of interest to me. So far I have not found many good alternatives at all...although I have admittedly not looked very much, either. That's why I'm asking here he he  :D

But ya, I will look at HipChat. I just need a system with basic chat + webcam support for a group of people to be able to meet up and talk, plan and just chat. I always try to look at self-hosted stuff because it feels more "at home" for me.
I think Camfrog has these features?  Although be wary that many providers don't allow Camfrog on their network (check their ToS).  

HipChat doesn't have webcam support.  

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Doubt Jitsi uses XMPP for video conferencing - IIRC XEP-0272 hasn't gone anywhere yet :(.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Doubt Jitsi uses XMPP for video conferencing - IIRC XEP-0272 hasn't gone anywhere yet :(.
I'm not too sure what Jitsi uses for video conferencing (I haven't really looked into the video conferencing needs really), but I know it uses XMPP.  

Maybe it uses magic :eek:

amuck-landowner